It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 15:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Concerns about public health led to the construction between

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

Concerns about public health led to the construction between [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2007, 04:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (00:48) correct 45% (00:49) wrong based on 652 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Concerns about public health led to the construction between 1876 and 1904 of three separate sewer systems to serve metropolitan Boston

(A) Concerns about public health led to the construction between 1876 and 1904 of three separate sewer systems to serve
(B) Concerns about public health have led to the construction of three separate sewer systems between 1876 and 1904 to serve
(C) Concerns about public health have led between 1876 and 1904 to the construction of three separate sewer systems for serving
(D) There were concerns about public health leading to the construction between 1876 and 1904 of three separate sewer systems serving
(E) There were concerns leading between 1876 and 1904 to the construction of three separate sewer systems for serving
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Concerns about public health led to the construction between [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2007, 05:02
A is fine.

B and C use the perfect inappropriately.

D is ambiguous - public health leads to construction?

E is the wrong tense again. The sewer systems were built during a specific time period so it has to be "led" not "leading" or "have led"

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2008, 17:43
B

Usage of 'have'(Present Perfect) looks okay.
Present Perfect: state or action that occurred in the past and may continue to the present.

Concerns about public health have led to the construction of three separate sewer systems between 1876 and 1904 to serve

In this case, 'have' is used to limit the past action to a certain period and I think that is okay.

Ofcourse I could be totally wrong, so grammar pundits, please help :-D

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2009, 23:40
What is the OA?

tenaman10 wrote:
Concerns about public health led to the construction between 1876 and 1904 of three separate sewer systems to serve metropolitan Boston.
A. Concerns about public health led to the construction between 1876 and 1904 of three separate sewer systems to serve
i think this one - the original - is correct.
B. Concerns about public health have led to the construction of three separate sewer systems between 1876 and 1904 to serve
with this one, the verb tense "have led" doesn't work, since the time period 1876-1904 already happened in the past.
C. Concerns about public health have led between 1876 and 1904 to the construction of three separate sewer systems for serving
same verb tense issue as B.
D. There were concerns about public health leading to the construction between 1876 and 1904 of three separate sewer systems serving
saying "there were concerns... leading to the construction..." sounds wrong to me... sorry i can't explain that one more fully.
E. There were concerns leading between 1876 and 1904 to the construction of three separate sewer systems for serving

same problem as D., plus saying "for serving" sounds odd... again. sorry i can't explain that one better.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2009, 08:38
I feel between A and B.. I will choose A.

B is better constructed but have is not required.

BTW what is the source?

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2009, 21:19
My choice is A

Concerns about public health led to the construction between 1876 and 1904 of three separate sewer systems to serve metropolitan Boston.
A. Concerns about public health led to the construction between 1876 and 1904 of three separate sewer systems to serve --> best used of tense, simple structure and correct meaning
B. Concerns about public health have led to the construction of three separate sewer systems between 1876 and 1904 to serve --> wrong verb tense of "have led" which means that the concerns lasted to the present time whereas it actually occurred in the past
C. Concerns about public health have led between 1876 and 1904 to the construction of three separate sewer systems for serving --> same error. Also, have led between 1876 and 1904 is ungrammatical
D. There were concerns about public health leading to the construction between 1876 and 1904 of three separate sewer systems serving --> There were makes the whole sentence more complicated than (A) does
E. There were concerns leading between 1876 and 1904 to the construction of three separate sewer systems for serving --> this answer emphasizes that the concerns, not the construction, was between 1876 and 1904, hence distorting the original meaning

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2009, 15:21
marshpa wrote:
IMO B. have led is okay for me, reason, concerns have led, concerns did not drive the constructions overnight, but rather period of long time.
I guess key to unlock this sentence was word placement..I found that construction must be placed near to sewers(thats the case of B).

I don't think the tense is determined by the amount of time, but rather by whether or not the first action was completed before the second one. Am I right?

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 23

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 293 [0], given: 25

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2009, 06:11
A. Concerns about public health led to the construction between 1876 and 1904 of three separate sewer systems to serve ------------CORRECT

B. Concerns about public health have led to the construction of three separate sewer systems between 1876 and 1904 to serve- Incorrect tense (have led)

C. Concerns about public health have led between 1876 and 1904 to the construction of three separate sewer systems for serving -same problem as B

D. There were concerns about public health leading to the construction between 1876 and 1904 of three separate sewer systems serving (distorts meaning - public health leading to construction?)

E. There were concerns leading between 1876 and 1904 to the construction of three separate sewer systems for serving - (same problem as D)

Kudos [?]: 293 [0], given: 25

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2010, 15:10
This is verb tense sentence correction problem. I made the mistake of choosing B, but should be A. Construction ended (simply occurred in past) between "1876 and 1904", so only need simple past form of verb ("led"). I think the syntax in A is a bit weird, but still correct.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Not afraid of failures, disappointments, and falls.

Kudos [?]: 260 [0], given: 260

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE: Operations (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2010, 18:50
lackofwittyname wrote:
This is verb tense sentence correction problem. I made the mistake of choosing B, but should be A. Construction ended (simply occurred in past) between "1876 and 1904", so only need simple past form of verb ("led"). I think the syntax in A is a bit weird, but still correct.

You are right, I also chose B but was not sure about "have led" rather I preferred the order of the sentence over A and got it wrong.
Actually, I didn't follow the advice (by Ron Purewal on mgmat forums) and got it wrong. According to Ron the rule for SC is always to follow this pattern
1. Correctness (even if it looks weird)
2. Clarity ( When choosing between 2 grammatically correct answers go for clear one )

I just preferred clarity and didn't indulge into correctness as it is verb-tense issue.
Gotta be careful next time hehe.

"I choose to rise after every fall"
Target=770
http://challengemba.blogspot.com
Kudos??

Kudos [?]: 260 [0], given: 260

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 5

GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2010, 00:31
This is a GMAT Prep question and the OA is A.

"have led" = Present perfect is incorrect in B, the action or its effect are NOT continuing to the present moment. Simple past correctly conveys the meaning (A).

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 5

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 116 [3], given: 66

Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2011, 07:35
This post received
KUDOS
daryayurlova wrote:
Concerns about public health led to the construction between 1876 and 1904 of three separate sewer systems to serve metropolitan Boston
(a)
(b) Concerns about public health have led to the construction of three separate sewer systems between 1876 and 1904 to serve
(c) Concerns about public health have led between 1876 and 1904 to the construction of three separate sewer systems for serving
(d) There were concerns about public health leading to the construction between 18776 and 1903 of three separate sewer systems serving
(e) There were concerns leading between 1876 and 1904 to the construction of three separate sewer systems for serving

Yes A is correct because of misplaced modifiers and verb tense reasons.
D and E are out. D b/c this sentence tells you that the occurrence (leading) happened in the past (b/n 1876 and 1903) so leading should be led instead (Same reason for eliminating E as well).
E can also be eliminated b/c a clearer sentence can be created when "leading" is placed closer to the phrase "to the construction of three separate sewer systems". Not to say that the verb tense leading is correct, by the way.
C is out b/c have led is not the correct verb tense that should be used here. You are trying to convey that that action happened and ended in the past, no that it continues to the present. SO you must use led. For that same reason you can eliminate B.

HTH

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Kudos [?]: 116 [3], given: 66

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 96 [1], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2011, 07:52
This post received
KUDOS
mariyea wrote:
D and E are out. D b/c this sentence tells you that the occurrence (leading) happened in the past (b/n 1876 and 1903) so leading should be led instead (Same reason for eliminating E as well).
HTH

How would you use led with the sentence structure as in D ?... Putting which after health? But then modifier issue would arise... In fact, i went for D beacuse i thought that leading is used here as a participle, which modifies concerns about public health ... But seems i can't do that when i am restrained by time frame in the past ..... hmmm ...

Kudos [?]: 96 [1], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 66

Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2011, 07:59
daryayurlova wrote:
mariyea wrote:
HTH

How would you use led with the sentence structure as in D ?... Putting which after health? But then modifier issue would arise... In fact, i went for D beacuse i thought that leading is used here as a participle, which modifies concerns about public health ... But seems i can't do that when i am restrained by time frame in the past ..... hmmm ...

You know I didn't notice that ... but (IMHO) I don' think that it was meant to be used as a participle.
But there is another reason why D is wrong, "There were concerns about public health leading to the construction between 18776 and 1903 of three separate sewer systems serving" serving is used here to express purpose which is not supposed to be the case. To serve is the proper way that you can express that idea.
Nice going with pointing out the participle though. :cool

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 66

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Affiliations: SPG

Kudos [?]: 866 [1], given: 28

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2011, 00:18
This post received
KUDOS

D is out because it changes the meaning.

Original: concerns led to the construction
D: there were some concerns leading to the construction

concerns about public health LED to the construction .. not some of these concerns.

The following examples will make the point clearer.
all students play games.
there are students who play games.

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

Kudos [?]: 866 [1], given: 28

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 584 [0], given: 264

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2012, 23:40
Choose B
but after reading all the reviews , i am inclined toward the OA, which is A.
because the concerns were in past and once the construction was over, they lost the relevance...since concerns are neither ongoing nor reflected, simple past LED is fine and present perfect is not required.
thanx .

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies http://gmatclub.com/forum/three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Kudos [?]: 584 [0], given: 264

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 403

GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.58
WE: Analyst (Accounting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2014, 08:15
A Wins! Mistakes in each statement highlighted below!

quote="tenaman10"]Concerns about public health led to the construction between 1876 and 1904 of three separate sewer systems to serve metropolitan Boston.

A. Concerns about public health led to the construction between 1876 and 1904 of three separate sewer systems to serve

B. Concerns about public health have led to the construction of three separate sewer systems between 1876 and 1904 to serve

C. Concerns about public health have led between 1876 and 1904 to the construction of three separate sewer systems for serving

D. There were concerns about public health leading to the construction between 1876 and 1904 of three separate sewer systems serving

E. There were concerns leading between 1876 and 1904 to the construction of three separate sewer systems for serving[/quote]

Cheers!!

JA
If you like my post, let me know. Give me a kudos! :)

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 403

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Optimus Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 522 [1], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 21:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
maddala wrote:
Hi,

can anyone explain why option B is wrong?

In the option B, have led is the problematic part.
We need to simply use led as we are talking about a past event.

Have led means that the concerns lasted till the present times. And this is not the case.

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Special Offer: $80-100/hr. Online Private Tutoring
GMAT On Demand Course $299
Free Online Trial Hour

Kudos [?]: 522 [1], given: 23

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [1], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2015, 01:56
This post received
KUDOS
I feel the answer above are misleading. Sorry to say but, even the GMAT prep company representative has given a very vague answer. I will break down the grammatical reason between answer choice A and B.

(a)Concerns about public health led to the construction between 1876 and 1904 of three separate sewer systems to serve
To begin led is VERB, which is in PAST PERFECT form in the sentence. PAST PERFECT can only be used to talk about the past with a time line that is completed. For instance,
Where were yesterday?
I went to library yesterday.

What did you do on Monday?
I played rugby last Monday.

What did you had for breakfast?
I drank milk in the morning.
Did you notice that I was talking about the past with a specific time? This is exactly where PAST PERFECT form of verbs is used.

so, the option A correct states the specific time associated with the when did construction happen. As many have belabored the point, the first thing on GMAT SC is to look for grammatical correct option. If you follow that you will notice that other options have grammatical problems. I know this modifier seem misplaced, but it grammatical not wrong, and doesn't obscures the meaning of the sentence.
Concerns about public health led to the construction between 1876 and 1904 of three separate sewer systems to serve

(b) Concerns about public health have led to the construction of three separate sewer systems between 1876 and 1904 to serve
Here have led is in the form of PRESENT PERFECT. Remember, PRESENT PERFECT is also used to denote a past action that is competed, however, it has no specific time associated with it. For instance,
Where all have been to?
I have been to japan, Korea and Netherlands.

Did you see there was specific time mentioned here? You can't say "I have gone to japan, Korea and Netherlands last year" This is wrong. If you want to add time to sentence you have to say "I went to Japan and Korea last year."
This is why this option is wrong.

Again, both
led
have led
denote a past action but, "led" NEEDS a specific time and "have led" can't be used with a specific time.

I hope this helps you,
Thanks,
Kay

Kudos [?]: 22 [1], given: 12

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2016, 07:00
tenaman10 wrote:
E. There were concerns leading between 1876 and 1904 to the construction of three separate sewer systems for serving

an action finishing in the past must be in past tense. B and C are out
in D, leading modifies health. This is wrong
in E, between 1876 and 1904 modifies leading. This is wrong.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 916

Re: Concerns about public health led to the construction between   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2016, 07:00

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 35 posts ] 

Concerns about public health led to the construction between

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap