GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 08:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

Confucianism, a Chinese ethical and philosophical system, is based on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Confucianism, a Chinese ethical and philosophical system, is based on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2018, 05:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (02:11) correct 47% (02:13) wrong based on 60 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Confucianism, a Chinese ethical and philosophical system, is based on five virtues: Humanness, Righteousness or Justice, Propriety or Etiquette, Knowledge, and Integrity. Confucius, the individual behind the philosophy, also introduces the idea of meritocracy, leading to the introduction of the imperial examination system in China. The system allowed anyone who passed a morality examination to become a government officer. Confucian governments, thus, attempted to replace “nobility of blood” with “nobility of virtue”. As a result, Confucian governments, however virtuous and moral, remained undemocratic.

Which of the following is an assumption made by the argument above?

A- Not every citizen participated in the Imperial examination system and hence government officers consequently chosen did not represent ‘voice of people’.

B- Ideas such as imperial examination system are central to the philosophy of democracy.

C- Confucian governments are not as effective as democratic governments.

D- Passing a morality exam leads to a non-democratic government.

E- It is not possible for a government to maintain “nobility of virtue” while ensuring a fair representation of the views of entire cross section of society

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Confucianism, a Chinese ethical and philosophical system, is based on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2018, 05:26
I found this one to be pretty though but went with E for the following reasons:

A nobility of virtue is based on people/government officials adhering to a certain moral codex which is deemed "virtuous" to gain their position.
However, as only certain morals/decisions/views are considered virtuous, the entire spectrum of the population with all the different opinions and beliefs cannot be sufficiently represented.

Basically, as there is a certain view considered to be "correct", only followers of this viewpoint will make it into government positions.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

examPAL Representative
G
Confucianism, a Chinese ethical and philosophical system, is based on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2018, 05:35
rohan2345 wrote:
Confucianism, a Chinese ethical and philosophical system, is based on five virtues: Humanness, Righteousness or Justice, Propriety or Etiquette, Knowledge, and Integrity. Confucius, the individual behind the philosophy, also introduces the idea of meritocracy, leading to the introduction of the imperial examination system in China. The system allowed anyone who passed a morality examination to become a government officer. Confucian governments, thus, attempted to replace “nobility of blood” with “nobility of virtue”. As a result, Confucian governments, however virtuous and moral, remained undemocratic.

Which of the following is an assumption made by the argument above?

A- Not every citizen participated in the Imperial examination system and hence government officers consequently chosen did not represent ‘voice of people’.

B- Ideas such as imperial examination system are central to the philosophy of democracy.

C- Confucian governments are not as effective as democratic governments.

D- Passing a morality exam leads to a non-democratic government.

E- It is not possible for a government to maintain “nobility of virtue” while ensuring a fair representation of the views of entire cross section of society

Let's break down our passage:
1. Confucianism is based on 5 virtues
2. Confucius also introduced meritocracy (which caused) imperial examination
3. examination (caused) anyone who passed to become officer
4. (therefore) Conf' govm't replaced 'blood' with 'virtue'
5. (therefore) Conf' govm't undemocratic

A long passage! Note that there is a more 'direct', factual logical chain:: from meritocracy to examination to becoming an officer; and a more 'inferential' and 'judgemental' one: that this replaces 'blood' with 'virtue' but is still undemocratic.
As there are many possible assumptions in such a long argument, we'll look straight to the answer choices, an Alternative approach.

A- Not every citizen participated in the Imperial examination system and hence government officers consequently chosen did not represent ‘voice of people’. The argument does not rely on 'the number of citizens who participated' (maybe everyone participated, we don't know) but rather on a general claim that choosing 'anyone who passes' is undemocratic (for unexplained reasons).

B- Ideas such as imperial examination system are central to the philosophy of democracy. If this were an assumption, it would have supported the opposite conclusion - that the govm't is democratic (because it has such an examination)

C- Confucian governments are not as effective as democratic governments. The question of 'efficacy' is entirely irrelevant to the passage

D- Passing a morality exam leads to a non-democratic government. No. All we know is that the morality exam didn't help switch from a non-democratic to a democratic, not that it leads to non-democratic govm't.

E- It is not possible for a government to maintain “nobility of virtue” while ensuring a fair representation of the views of entire cross section of society This is the only viable choice and must be correct. Additionally, if we read the passage literally, i.e. 'replaced blood with virtue.... and therefore remained undemocratic' then the author must be assuming (for unknown reasons) that virtue and democracy cannot go together.

I am a CR Expert - Ask Me ANYTHING about CR
I am a DS Expert - Ask Me ANYTHING about DS

Halloween SALE at exmaPAL!

Save 25% on any GMAT/GRE course! Claim it today.

GMAT Club Bot
Confucianism, a Chinese ethical and philosophical system, is based on &nbs [#permalink] 31 Oct 2018, 05:35

Confucianism, a Chinese ethical and philosophical system, is based on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap