Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Confused about college selection. Please help [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Gonnaflynow wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
First of all congrats dude!

I think many folks here would be miiighty jealous of those results.

So I feel that the two questions you should be asking yourself is a) where do I want to live and work for at least the next five years? This is waaaay beyond my scope so I'll let you figure that out Number two is: Do my target companies hire from my target schools?

I'd worry a biiit less about the operations strength then about the job results you could get out of it, although if you were to get into Tepper, I might lean a bit in that direction (still depends on your answer to Q 1)

I understand why it's hard for you to choose, but it's hard cause there's no easy answer. Keep in mind one thing though: WHATEVER you choose, it's gonna be great! So you can't really make a mistake.

Thanks Jon:)

Point 1 : My long term plan is to come back to India after 5 -6 years.
Point 2 : The firms I am targeting do come to all the schools. But their recruitment numbers do vary from school to school. Moreover I have not zeroed in on any job specifically. I am open to any job as long as it is the operations domain.

Is prestige of a school a matter after 5-6 yrs post MBA? obviously Tepper is higher ranked and well known than Kelley and Krannert ( at least in India). So should I be waiting for Tepper results before I decide?

Thanks in advance.

Soooo, I think you should wait for Tepper to decide (if that's possible) for the reasons you stated. Now, since you are pretty sure that you want to end up in India, ISB becomes a real choice. And I think choice is the operative word here. There may be a good advantage to building your network in India if you stay in ISB, a kind of "local power". Although on the other hand maybe this experience in the US, with the corporate culture and the international experience (I mean of work as well as school). Realize though that from a practical stance, if you go to US, it is also veeeeery possible that you will stay for longer than you think you might. But once again, there's no way I can predict what might happen in one case of another. It's true that if you decide to work internationally (out of India/Asia) a US MBA carries more weight. I'm sharing my thoughts with you dude, but still, there's no easy answer. But talk to as many other people as you can, and at some point you;ll just have to choose. But like I wrote, it's a choice between good choices..... so not toooooooooo bad.
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts