GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Jun 2019, 15:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Confused between GRE and GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Confused between GRE and GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 22:05
Hello guys,

I gave GMAT last year and scored 570. I do not think I can get a decent BSchool with this score.

Since I am 26 already, I do not have much time left to start preparing again for GMAT and give 5-6 months of preparation time with my current job.

I have a good work experience of about 3.5 years. My job experience is the only plus point in my profile with 2-3 times onsite and my work being alligned with my mechanical engineering profile.

Question-

I really need help in understanding whether i can opt for GRE (which can be prepared well within 2-3 months) and opting for a BSchool.

Or does anybody know whether there is any programme to which i can apply through GRE, other than MBA?

Does anybody here has idea about this? What are the pros and cons of applying to BSchools through GRE? I tried to browse on the internet but there is different information everywhere.

Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Confused between GRE and GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 01:04
thakur2608 wrote:
Hello guys,

I gave GMAT last year and scored 570. I do not think I can get a decent BSchool with this score.

Since I am 26 already, I do not have much time left to start preparing again for GMAT and give 5-6 months of preparation time with my current job.

I have a good work experience of about 3.5 years. My job experience is the only plus point in my profile with 2-3 times onsite and my work being alligned with my mechanical engineering profile.

Question-

I really need help in understanding whether i can opt for GRE (which can be prepared well within 2-3 months) and opting for a BSchool.

Or does anybody know whether there is any programme to which i can apply through GRE, other than MBA?

Does anybody here has idea about this? What are the pros and cons of applying to BSchools through GRE? I tried to browse on the internet but there is different information everywhere.

Thank you.

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear your story but don't get disheartened. You are still very young. You're just 26. The average age for MBA programs is 28. Average meaning half of the is above this age mark. I have seen people who have done MBA at 35 too. As for time goes you have plenty. If you don't have other reason to apply for MBA programs this year you can take GMAT again and aim for your dream school.

GRE is accepted by most business schools. You school take a look at the admission requirement of your target schools to be 100% sure.

There are lots of programs other than an MBA in which you can get in through GRE. Some of them are MS, MIM or other Masters programs depending upon your learning and career goals.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Check out our new tool MBA Matrix https://EduSimplified.com/mba-matrix
Intern
Intern
Re: Confused between GRE and GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 02:26
Thank you so much for the reply! :)
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 06:28
thakur2608 wrote:
Hello guys,

Question-

Thank you.

Here is a post on this debate. Though a bit dated, it is still as relevant as before:
https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2009/1 ... inessweek/
Today GRE is accepted in many more schools but if you opt for it, it should make sense with the rest of your profile.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 10:58
Hi thakur2608,

From your post, it does not sound like you have a clear idea of the type of degree that you're after. Thus, before you decide to switch to the GRE, it would probably be best for you to take some time to really think about the type of career that you want to have (and the type of graduate degree that would help you to fulfill that career). As it stands, I do not think that you would need another 5-6 months of study (for either the GMAT or the GRE) to score at a higher level IF you invest in the proper study materials and IF you focus on learning/practicing the proper Tactics.

1) How long did you study before taking the GMAT?
2) What study materials did you used
3) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for this 570?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Confused between GRE and GMAT   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2017, 10:58

Confused between GRE and GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k