Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 12-17-2012
GPA: 3.85
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Confused with Practice test results [#permalink]
MartyMcfly wrote:
Could you include dates for your tests? Large variations could be a result of timing problems
Generally go with GMATPREP as it is made by the same people as the GMAT.
A trend(rumor) about MGMAT is that Q is harder, V is easier.

I added the dates. These days I am taking a practice test almost every saturday morning and reviewing the test the rest of the weekend. Weekdays I try to study as much as I can.
The quant questions I get in tests are really tough and OG questions( except last 30-40) seems very easy as compared to the test questions. I am confused with this.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 12-17-2012
GPA: 3.85
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
My best advice I can give is this:
Taking practice tests is only a way to evaluate where you are.
Every company has a different formula so each one will have variation, the closest one should be the GMATPREP.
You are on the right track, improving. Spend as much time studying as possibly and you should do fine!
If you haven't already done so try the OG13 and Q2 and V2 guides and you can use Manhattan Archer to log your errors.
Goodluck with your test!

Ps.
You can try this:

google this: gmat club score calculator
(I can't post links yet)

I'm sure experts here can give better answers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
The composite scores on your practice tests look really erratic, Nishant, but I don't think that they're quite as strange as they look. As MartyMcfly correctly mentioned, every company has a different algorithm for its practice tests, and it isn't unusual to see quite a bit of variation if you're doing a mix of GMATPrep, MGMAT, and Kaplan tests. If we look at the quant scores alone, your results seem to be within a reasonable range, and most of that variation can probably be attributed to the differences in practice tests. For many test-takers, the MGMAT quant tests feel particularly hard, and it wouldn't be unusual to score a few points lower on those.

I take the GMATPrep score far more seriously than the others, and it suggests that your quant skills are pretty solid. Keep working, but I don't think you ultimately have too much to worry about on that section. :)

On the verbal side, your scores are consistent, but with one outlier... and that outlier happens to be an MGMAT test. Usually, those tests are pretty good, but they can never be as accurate as your GMATPrep scores, and I frequently meet test-takers who will have an occasional, very strange-looking result on their MGMAT tests. So the bad news is that the 40 looks like an unusually good day, or a test with some unusually fortunate questions.

So focus hard on your verbal! If you can get a 40 on verbal once, you can get it again... and hopefully, it will be on the real thing next time, and you won't need any luck. :)

Good luck with your studies!

Thank you GMATninja, well I think that was really my lucky day in verbal. I got some easy questions. I studied OG13 SC and CR again this whole week.
I gave one more test MGMAT-3 on 11/17 and wanted to finish quant in time so made some silly mistakes while speeding up in DS questions where I waste a lot of time.
Well the score ended up more frustrating 11/17 MGMAT-3 640 (Q48, V31).
I found verbal very hard. SC was having almost all questions with long underlines and CR I was stuck in 2 options in many questions.
I have worked really hard to improve my verbal. Read Manhattan SC, Aristotle SC, CR bible, RC 99( doing 4 passages every day), OG 13( did twice SC and CR), Verbal review-2, but results are not as expected.
If I would take coaching for verbal only for 2 weeks at this stage of preparation. Real Test date is 12/10. Do you think some coaching can help me improve my verbal in next 2 weeks.
I really do not want to keep on giving GMAT again and again. It is stressful and having impact on my work also. :(
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
As others have already stated, equating scores from different brands of practice tests compares apples to oranges. So I do not necessarily see an erratic pattern on your part. The one issue that does concern me, though, is your verbal score. Your performance in that section increased dramatically in the second Manhattan test, so perhaps you're safe. Another possibility is that the 40V score was a fluke. You seem to be suspicious about that last score. This is actually a good thing; always be cautiously optimistic and never take anything for granted.

I agree with previous comments about Manhattan's practice tests. They are decent, but the math is relatively more challenging and the verbal is slightly off. For Kaplan, the algorithm deviates too much from that of the GMAT and its verbal is off. As GMATNinja pointed out, the only practice test that is reliable is the GMATPrep. Use that score to determine your actual level.
GMAT Club Bot