Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618961 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: Consecutive perfect square [#permalink]
Expert Reply
gmatexam439 wrote:
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hi,

What does consecutive perfect square of prime numbers mean?

Is it: sq of 2,3 (square of only consecutive prime numbers)

OR

Is it: sq of 2,3 // sq of 3,5 // sq of 5,7 ...... and so on (consecutive perfect squares)

Please elaborate.

Regards

I haven't heard this expression before.. where is it from?

Your two options refer to different parsings of the phrase "consecutive perfect square of prime numbers"
Option 1 is the only ( (consecutive perfect square) of prime numbers)
Option 2 is any (consecutive (perfect square of prime numbers) ).

Without context I don't think you can separate the two.
(though personally, from a what-makes-more-sense-in-English point of view, I would go with option 2)

Hi DavidTutorexamPAL,

Please go through this question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-set-numb ... l#p1205358

The solution made me think the same way you did. I too am confused after having a look at the solution. Based on "what-makes-more-sense-in-English" i chose "E" as the answer while OA is "D". Hence my doubt.

Regards

That question does not say "consecutive perfect square of prime numbers" it says "consecutive perfect squares". Consecutive perfect square are 1 and 4, or 4 and 9...
Send PM
Consecutive perfect square [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
That question does not say "consecutive perfect square of prime numbers" it says "consecutive perfect squares". Consecutive perfect square are 1 and 4, or 4 and 9...

Hi Bunuel,

Question wrote:
If 0 < x < y and x and y are consecutive perfect squares, what is the remainder when y is divided by x?

(1) Both x and y is have 3 positive factors.
(2) Both √x and √y are prime numbers

From both the statements its clear that √x and √y are prime numbers. We are not given that √x and √y have to be consecutive; x and y should be consecutive.

So, \(2^2\)=4 & \(3^2\)=9; \(3^2\)=9 & \(5^2\)=25; \(5^2\)=25 & \(7^2\)=49 ...... and so on are all consecutive perfect squares that satisfy the information given in statement 1. Since we have more than 1 possible values, then how can we say that either statement 1 or statement 2 is sufficient?

Since, OA=D please explain where am I going wrong? I am unable to comprehend the OE.

Regards
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618961 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Consecutive perfect square [#permalink]
Expert Reply
gmatexam439 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hi Bunuel,

Question wrote:
If 0 < x < y and x and y are consecutive perfect squares, what is the remainder when y is divided by x?

From both the statements its clear that √x and √y are prime numbers. We are not given that √x and √y have to be consecutive; x and y should be consecutive.

So, \(2^2\)=4 & \(3^2\)=9; \(3^2\)=9 & \(5^2\)=25; \(5^2\)=25 & \(7^2\)=49 ...... and so on are all consecutive perfect squares that satisfy the information given in statement 1. Since we have more than 1 possible values, then how can we say that either statement 1 or statement 2 is sufficient?

Since, OA=D please explain where am I going wrong? I am unable to comprehend the OE.

Regards

I think you missed the very first sentence of the solution provided: Notice that since x and y are consecutive perfect squares, then \(\sqrt{x}\) and \(\sqrt{y}\) are consecutive integers. The only primes, which are also consecutive integers are 2 and 3.
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hi Bunuel,

Question wrote:

Regards

I think you missed the very first sentence of the solution provided: Notice that since x and y are consecutive perfect squares, then \(\sqrt{x}\) and \(\sqrt{y}\) are consecutive integers. The only primes, which are also consecutive integers are 2 and 3.

Thank you Bunuel. I missed that part. It makes sense now.

Can you please share link for tricky PS/DS questions such as this one.

Regards
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
gmatexam439 wrote:
Thank you Bunuel. I missed that part. It makes sense now.

Can you please share link for tricky PS/DS questions such as this one.

Regards

Looks like I missed the boat :)
Anyways, glad you figured it out.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92914 posts