Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3450 [2]
Given Kudos: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V30
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22038 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Consistent Official Mock Scores - Shocking Real Exam [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi kabsar,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What was your Score on the Official GMAT (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
2) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
3) What study materials have you used so far?
4) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)? Did you take any other CATs besides the 6 Official CATs?

Goals:
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). Since you have purchased the ESR, I will be happy to analyze it for you. Before you can include attachments with your posts/PMs, you need at least 5 posts in the forums. If you would rather not go through those extra steps right now, then you can feel free to email me your ESR directly (at Rich.C@empowergmat.com).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Consistent Official Mock Scores - Shocking Real Exam [#permalink]
Dillesh4096 wrote:
Hi,

The Quant section in real GMAT is a bit tougher than the GMAT Prep mocks. Like you said the language is quite confusing.

However, what you should have avoided is analysing too much about what to do for each question during the exam which I assume would have consumed lot more time than you realised.

Coming to how to tackle these questions on 27th, I would suggest to get the advanced question bank released by GMAC which only consists the toughest questions of GMAT and practise the same.

If timing is not too much an issue in quants, you can try to follow the initial 10 questions and final 5 questions strategy.

All the best

Posted from my mobile device

Many thanks for your response. Good to know that the language indeed can be more confusing or atleast seem confusing on the day. As suggested, best way to tackle is by doing tough language questions and remain calm during the exam.

Any other source apart from GMAC Advanced Question Bank? I had completed it and of the 150 questions, atleast 100 i was able to tackle without need of external support - Remaining I had figured with some help or the other. However, I will definitely have a look at this book again again as it may give clues to the kind of tricky language GMAC likes to use and will focus on that aspect this time. I am also seeing GMATNinja's Word Bootcamp episodes to see if I can pick up some tips and tricks to ensure I have clarity on lanuage in Quant questions

Also, since I have exhausted all 6 official mocks - Which others do you suggest I give ? I am working on exam stamina and improving focus levels these 2 weeks.

Giving them out of home environment this time. I think the comfort of giving a mock at home vs suddenly giving it in an environment which has security tighter than immigration can put you off and build up those stress levels and lead to overthinking!

Also, what do you mean by "initial 10 questions and final 5 questions strategy"? Personally , I don't believe any strategy now because GMAT has openly busted the 10 question myth in the OG, and also from my experience one can not guage or predict the difficulty of the questions one will get at any time. I literally got all Hard questions which I think is not common. You usually do get some medium questions? Maybe I could have got more wrong than I thought and still achieved a good score but I instead wasted time not wanting to get them wrong only leading to shortage which forced me to guess too many. This time I'm going to try and give it with a mindset as if I'm just giving another mock and go with the flow of the paper instead of overthinking with too many strategy's or wasting braincells on anything other than "understand what they want , solve it , move on" However, would still be interested in the strategy you mentioned!

Regards
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi kabsar,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What was your Score on the Official GMAT (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
2) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
3) What study materials have you used so far?
4) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)? Did you take any other CATs besides the 6 Official CATs?

Goals:
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). Since you have purchased the ESR, I will be happy to analyze it for you. Before you can include attachments with your posts/PMs, you need at least 5 posts in the forums. If you would rather not go through those extra steps right now, then you can feel free to email me your ESR directly (at Rich.C@ empowergmat. com).

Rich

Rich, Many thanks for your response. Have emailed you.

Regards
Kabir
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 296
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Kabsar,

Sorry about the test experience. I have had my fair share of shock as you did with difficult questions right from the word go! Though I am able to relate my past experience with you, I am not clear as to what you mean by manipulative language. Could you please throw some light on what do you mean by the convoluted language usage in quants and what kind of questions do you identify with this category?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MariaAntony wrote:
Hi Kabsar,

Sorry about the test experience. I have had my fair share of shock as you did with difficult questions right from the word go! Though I am able to relate my past experience with you, I am not clear as to what you mean by manipulative language. Could you please throw some light on what do you mean by the convoluted language usage in quants and what kind of questions do you identify with this category?

Hi Maria,

Sure - basically - I dont have a tough time with the difficult questions per se - a consist Q49 on 4 offical mocks should validate that. I am capable of a Q50 if i was to minimise extremely silly mistakes like selecting 196 instead of 192 when i know after solving the equations the answer final is 96*2 ! Presence of mind ! Well that's an "if" .. so let's go with Q49 ..

What i mean is .. on the exam .. i felt numerous questions ... in topics like -

Compound Interest
Percentages
Ratio
Speed Time
AP / GP

were posed in a language which were very awkward. It's almost like you felt they themselves were using bad langauge which you're supposed to correct in SC !

Clearly i remember a question on percentage where if i took any permutation of calculating .. i was getting no number which was in the options .. probably wasted 4 mins and guessed out of frustration .. this kind of time waste basically happened 4-5 times causing my exam to go totally bad ..

They used so many "of's" and "if's' in that question I was like - "W@# are even trying to say?"

And im sure mathematically it was so simple .. it was just a group of people .. some attending an event .. some not .. a sub group .. of which some were and weren't .. and one just had to calculate something in all of that

Similarly for Compound Interest .. A simple question for the amount of interest in terms of a particular variable had to be calculated .. just couldn't match an answer ..

AP/GP definitely seemed to have a rare concept where they expected you to multiply/divide some series ..

I do think some of the mess up was on my part personally due to overthinking on the paper compared to being calm during mocks .. However my ESR does show i got Hard questions for each quarter in QR .. the difficulty graph didn't seem to drop much even when i was getting questions wrong ... I thought I'll catch up on lost time but never got the chance !

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Sorry to hear that. As gmat gradually changes its question tones and language from year to year, did you do the OG2020 before the real test? Just to have a sense of your narrative here

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Send PM
Your experience resonates a lot with me (I wrote in Nov-Q48 but only 67 percentile), and I was surprised no one shared about it until now.

None of the mocks out there- GMATprep or Veritas come close to the actual exam now.For quant one reason is that- asian test takers are doing well so you need to do exceptionally well to get a Q49-51. The difficulty level of questions is close to hardest questions on Gmatclub or aligning towards Manhattan prep.

Even verbal options seem to be more confusing than usual OG or GMAT prep tests. I can't exactly put a finger to it but GMAT's difficulty level has increased considerably.

I have covered all concepts of Verbal and Quant, studying from all 'reliable' sources- but the test is testing our patience this time. At least mock tests are no more representative at all of the actual test. It feels as though the test makers have change.

I know I can crack the exam but would appreciate if all GMAT experts would write the test of late and share their experience if they felt the same.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Hi there,

I guess I faced somewhat similar situation in quant and verbal both. In 6 official mocks my Q scores were 49, 50, 50, 51, 51 and 50. And 5 of 6 Verbal scores were in the range of 35-40 still I ended up scoring Q49V33 in the real test.

Here’s what I think, the official tests(esply tests 3-6) are either outdated or not calibrated as per current level of difficulty. I felt the biggest difference in SC and DS questions. The very first question in my paper was an SC question and it was puzzling like hell, I took 3 minutes or so to mark it, may be I can’t say it was difficult because I am not a native speaker and not that good at verbal but I can surely say that it was unusual, I used to get 80-85% SCs right in official mocks.

My advice would be to practice with non-official tests as well, My score 680 was closest to Manhattan/Veritas tests I gave.

Good luck.

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72857 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I think you’re onto something. Test 3&4 and 5&6 have a much smaller question database which is about as big as the test itself there’s not as much of a choice of questions and that’s the result the algorithm is less accurate. That’s my theory, though it is a fact that the question bank is limited. No matter how many times you reset those test, you get the exact same questions except in a different order.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
A snippet of the QR section from my ESR. As you can see - I unexpectedly got HIGH questions with tremendous consistency - Even after making errors!

This also shows that I basically wasted alot of time in the beginning with the attitude that - "I know I can solve this so I have to solve it" and messed up time management - I expected I'd get some more medium questions once I did make some mistakes - where I'd have then been able to probably catchup on some lost time but as this shows - I didnt get them!
Attachments

File comment: A snippet of the QR section from my ESR.
ESR Q Performance.jpg
ESR Q Performance.jpg [ 196.8 KiB | Viewed 2426 times ]

Originally posted by kabsar on 19 Dec 2019, 10:17.
Last edited by kabsar on 19 Dec 2019, 10:25, edited 3 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
I think you’re onto something. Test 3&4 and 5&6 have a much smaller question database which is about as big as the test itself there’s not as much of a choice of questions and that’s the result the algorithm is less accurate. That’s my theory, though it is a fact that the question bank is limited. No matter how many times you reset those test, you get the exact same questions except in a different order.

Hey, great to see you on this post - Attached a snippet of my ESR in another reply here - Would be great if you had a look and share your thoughts on it!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72857 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thx. I never embraced the ESRs and don’t find them valuable besides the bare basics such as SC good, CR bad. In my view, they unfortunately lack the precision to show concrete actions. I could not give any more feedback.... even the categories of questions they offer are imprecise and we’re unknown until earlier this year when the advanced book came out.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 1714
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
Send PM
Dear Kabsar,

Donot loose your heart and I am sure that with the proper guidance from this valuable forum, you can try again to reach your goal.

Best of luck,
Basim

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi kabsar,

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR and some additional notes.

Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
I do agree with the fact that GMAT Quant Questions descriptions have become very much convoluted and challenging. Now Its not about simple calculations.In my recent GMAT attempt I did face similar issue ,could not figure out the very first question what the heck it was asking !!. Anyway my only advice try solving OG2020,QR2020,GMAT Advance questions ,you will get a chance to see how the new questions look like.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts