Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1037 [38]
Given Kudos: 56
Schools: McCombs '17
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 318 [7]
Given Kudos: 341
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '19 (II)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618881 [4]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Re: Consumer advocate: According to Toiko’s director of operatio [#permalink]
C fits the bill. It mentions the "temporary suspension or permanent discontinuation" clause which relates properly with the argument. Is this understanding correct?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Consumer advocate: According to Toiko’s director of operatio [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Yep it is C.

From Argument:
Initial Premise Cause: Damage to Toys --> Effect: Stopping the Production
Conclusion is derived from Effect Cause: ? (Wooden puzzles Might be damaged) Effect: Stopping the production of Wooden Puzzles

Answer choice C
Initial Premise Cause: Without the approval of Superior --> Effect: Termination
Conclusion is derived from Effect Cause: ? (Frank might have offered with out consulting superior) Effect: Frank Terminated
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Split between C and D.
Can anyone shed some light on this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos
I think the main point to keep in mind is that the reason mentioned is NOT the ONLY reason. So the toy might have been discontinued for any other reason besides safety ( say profitability) similarly Frank might have been terminated for any other reason ( say poor attendance )
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Right - D is tempting, however the reason that C is a better choice is that the conclusion of D is "Plumb Job must have done work for the school in the past" - logic that might not be right because we have no information regarding repeat business, but is not exactly the same as "the water heaters installed by Plumb Job must have broken in the first year" (a statement which would make D analogous to both C and the stem).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Consumer advocate: According to Toiko’s director of operations, if sh [#permalink]
I found it hard to decide between C and D.

What helped me was:

argument
if X (one of the company’s toys, used properly, has caused an injury)
then Y (she temporarily stops production until the problem is fixed)
OR Z (permanently stops production of that toy)
Z happened then the argument concludes wrongly that X must have happened

This is most similar to answer C:
if X (doing so-making an offer without discussing with his supervisors)
can lead to Y (justifiable reason for either suspension)
OR Z (termination of employment)
Z happened then the argument wrongly concludes that X must have happened

In answer D, "installed new water heaters" do not necessarily mean that they fixed heaters + there is only one outcome for the premise (If X then Y, no Z) so we are further away from the original statement.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
The flaw reasoning in stimulus is > A --> B hence B ---> A.
C states the same but reverse order.
D states the same too but what i observe is that company parts are dmged it will repair. but we don't know who will install these parts not given. very tempting answer . But C is right.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Hi experts,

Would you please suggest a method to deal with similar lengthy questions in 2 minutes?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Consumer advocate: According to Toiko’s director of operatio [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
tinbq wrote:
Hi experts,

Would you please suggest a method to deal with similar lengthy questions in 2 minutes?

Hey tinbq,

When you find yourself wondering this question, there are a few things to consider:

1). What was your process for the problem? What were you thinking about?

2). What process would someone who got this question right in 2 minutes use? What would they be thinking about?

Number 2 obviously requires a lot of review and work understanding what the right answer is and why it's right, but it's important not to stop there (most people do). Once you know what the right answer is and why it's right, you want to go back to the problem and pinpoint what a person notices and thinks about to get to that right answer. What words/sentences are they noticing? *Why?* What is special about those sentences?

Compare that way of doing/thinking about the problem with your way. Where was your time lost? What step 'snagged' you the most? What 'road' did you 'walk down' that mostly wasted your time? What 'thing' took to long to 'click' in your mind--how do you make it 'click' sooner? Was it a single sentence (sometimes these sentences get *gnarly*)? Was it identifying what you needed the answer to do? You want to determine what it is that keeps you from getting the question right, in pace.

So for this particular question, we're trying to identify flawed reasoning in an argument and seeing which answer choice has a similar flaw (i.e., uses similar flawed reasoning).

So the first thing I need to do is understand the argument's flaw. First I need to understand what the argument is.

The argument says that the director cancels any toy that, used properly, has caused a child harm. Since a toy was canceled, the author concludes the toy must have harmed a child who used it properly.

Why is that argument flawed?

Well, there might be other reasons toys get canceled. Maybe it just wasn't selling well?

So I want to look for an argument that has a similar flaw: the assumption that one possible cause MUST be the cause of some effect.

C does that perfectly. There are other reasons to fire someone besides making an offer to a client without consulting your boss. Maybe he was constantly late? Or wasn't trying very hard? Who knows.

Now that's my explanation. It's your job now--and it's a hard job, but *no one can do it for you*--to figure out how someone does this in two minutes. Believe me--I could explain it to you, again and again, I could tell you what I notice and why I notice it, but it wouldn't help. You have to specify and understand what to notice and why. You have to really think about the logic, you have to *do* the logic yourself. Logic is active. It is something your brain *does*. You can read someone else's logic ten million times and think 'that makes sense!' without doing it yourself a single time. You *must* do it yourself.

(Side note:

This argument uses a VERY COMMON flaw that many problems on the GMAT utilize and test.

The argument in more formal logic is something like:

"If A, then B. B is true. Therefore A is true."

This is called 'Affirming the Consequent.'

While a deep dive into the rules/fallacies found in formal logic is probably unnecessary, a passing understanding can be very useful).
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Consumer advocate: According to Toikos director of operatio [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Consumer advocate: According to Toikos director of operatio [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts