Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Pronounsx   Use of Beingx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Schools: IMD '21
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Re: Consumers may not think of household cleaning products to be hazardous [#permalink]
gmataspirant2009 wrote:
Consumers may not think of household cleaning products to be hazardous substances, but many of them can be harmful to health, especially if they are used improperly.

(D) A consumer may not think of household cleaning products as

(E) Household cleaning products may not be thought of, by consumers, as

GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo VeritasKarishma IanStewart egmat AjiteshArun

I was able to reject option A, B & C. But I selected E because of the following reasons:

1. The pronouns- them & they can refer to the subject of the previous clause.
2. The subject in E is "Household cleaning products". So, this is nice because the sentence revolves around the topic of products. I rejected D because there was a bit of less emphasis on "products". And I felt that there was more emphasis on "products" in E.

If I consider the following examples:

1. The dispatcher is notifying the police that 3 prisoners have escaped.
2. Police are being notified that 3 prisoners have escaped.

I think in this case 2nd one is better even if it is in passive voice because the subject in the 2nd sentence is "police", which is the main focus.

So following the same logic, I selected E. Please help me understand where am I faltering?

Thanking you in advance!
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9239 [5]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: Consumers may not think of household cleaning products to be hazardous [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ashmit99 wrote:
gmataspirant2009 wrote:
Consumers may not think of household cleaning products to be hazardous substances, but many of them can be harmful to health, especially if they are used improperly.

I was able to reject option A, B & C. But I selected E because of the following reasons:

1. The pronouns- them & they can refer to the subject of the previous clause.
2. The subject in E is "Household cleaning products". So, this is nice because the sentence revolves around the topic of products. I rejected D because there was a bit of less emphasis on "products". And I felt that there was more emphasis on "products" in E.

If I consider the following examples:

2. Police are being notified that 3 prisoners have escaped.

I think in this case 2nd one is better even if it is in passive voice because the subject in the 2nd sentence is "police", which is the main focus.

So following the same logic, I selected E. Please help me understand where am I faltering?

About your point #1, there is no pronoun ambiguity in answer D, because "consumer" is singular in D.

About your point #2, I agree with your general philosophy about passive voice: when the object of a verb is the true 'topic' of the sentence, passive voice can be preferable to active voice. But I'd suggest being very careful applying that principle to GMAT SC questions. In this question, it's perfectly reasonable to think of the consumers as the "topic" of the sentence, since the consumers are the ones facing the hazards from cleaning products. Really, as soon as a sentence uses passive voice, but also identifies the subject (in E, it says "may not be thought of, *by consumers*, ...") it's almost always going to be preferable to rephrase the sentence in an active way. It's most often true when passive voice is preferable to active voice that the subject can be omitted altogether ("Littering laws were enacted in 1850", for example, is a good passive sentence). Notice that your two example sentences aren't directly comparable to answers D and E in this question, for this very reason. To make a fair comparison, you'd need to identify the subject in both of your examples:

2. Police are being notified, *by the dispatcher*, that 3 prisoners have escaped.

and now I think your sentence #1 is preferable to your sentence #2 (though in your original versions, I prefer sentence #2).

In general on the GMAT, if you're going to pick an answer that uses a passive construction, you'll want to have a very compelling justification for making that choice, and I don't find one in this question. It's probably true that if you're ever debating between two otherwise correct answer choices, and the only difference between them is that one is active and the other passive, that you'll be right the considerable majority of the time if you pick the active answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
hello everyone, I request you to please help me understand where I am going wrong on this one.

I looked at the sentence and thought that 'them' incorrectly points towards the subject of the Main Clause which was 'Consumers'.

Option E makes the 'Household Cleaning Products' the subject of the Main clause. Thus, 'them' is now pointing towards the correct thing. Can someone help which part I am interpreting in the wrong way?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
rishabhbhard1 wrote:
hello everyone, I request you to please help me understand where I am going wrong on this one.

I looked at the sentence and thought that 'them' incorrectly points towards the subject of the Main Clause which was 'Consumers'.

Option E makes the 'Household Cleaning Products' the subject of the Main clause. Thus, 'them' is now pointing towards the correct thing. Can someone help which part I am interpreting in the wrong way?

Hi rishabhbhard1,

Option E uses the passive voice (we normally prefer active to passive). As for the point about pronouns, we shouldn't look at that as an absolute rule, and we should consider they/them ambiguous. The correct option uses a singular noun, and therefore it's better than E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
This question doesn’t test a terribly difficult set of concepts, but I still see a lot of errors on it, mostly because people tend to miss the pronouns “them” and “they” in the non-underlined portion. If you catch those right away, it’s a little bit easier to get to the right answer efficiently, as we discussed in this YouTube video.

Quote:
(A) Consumers may not think of household cleaning products to be

The idiom is one problem with (A): the correct idiom is “think of X as”, not “think of X to be.”

But let’s suppose that you don’t know that. After all, there are somewhere around 25,000 idioms in English; you don’t plan to memorize all of them, right?

Even if the idiom escapes you, the GMAT still gives you a decent reason to eliminate (A): the pronouns “they” and “them” are ambiguous, because both “consumers” and “household cleaning products” are plural. And you could argue that because “many of them” is the subject of the 2nd clause of the sentence, it most likely refers back to the subject of the 1st clause (“consumers”), and that would make the sentence illogical: “many of [the consumers] can be harmful to health…” (For more on the nuances of this particular type of pronoun issue, check out this video, and we also discussed this specific question in a more recent video.)

To be fair, this is tricky stuff, and I’m not 100% certain that the pronouns are WRONG in (A). After all, pronoun ambiguity isn’t an absolute rule on the GMAT (more on that in the same pronoun video mentioned above).

So if you aren’t sure about the idiom and wanted to be conservative, you could keep (A). But as we’ll see in a moment, there are answer choices that fix the pronoun issue completely.

Quote:
(B) Consumers may not think of household cleaning products being

I definitely can’t come up with any reason why we would say “think of X being…” I can’t even figure out what “being” is trying to do in that sentence, to be honest.

Plus, the pronoun issue mentioned in (A) is still a problem. See the explanation for (A) if you want more rambling (and resources) about the pronouns.

Anyway, (B) is out.
Quote:
(C) A consumer may not think of their household cleaning products being

This one is the easiest to eliminate. Sure, the word “being” doesn’t really make any sense in here (see the explanation for (B) for more on this), but the bigger issue is that “their” has no referent, since “a consumer” is singular.

So (C) is definitely out.

Quote:

OK, so (D) very nicely cleans up the pronoun issue we described in answer choice (A). Because “a consumer” is now singular, “many of them” and “their” (in the non-underlined portion) MUST refer back to the only remaining plural noun, “household cleaning products.” And that makes perfect sense: it’s the “household cleaning products” that are hazardous to health, not the consumers.

So we can keep (D).

Quote:

The biggest problem with (E) is that it’s a passive version of (D). Passive voice isn’t automatically WRONG on the GMAT, but you need to have a really, really good reason to use it. Consider the following two sentences:

• Charlie ate three kilograms of dosas. → Active voice, since the grammatical subject of the sentence (Charlie) actually “performs” the action (“ate”).
  • Three kilograms of dosas were eaten by Charlie. → Passive voice, since the main action of the sentence (eating) is performed by a noun (Charlie) which is no longer the subject of the sentence.

Again, the second version isn’t WRONG, but it’s a silly and inefficient way to write that particular sentence.

The same is true of (E): why say “household cleaning products may not be thought of, by consumers, as…” when we could just start the sentence with a nice, clean subject and verb (“Consumers may not think of household cleaning products…”), like the version in (D)?

(D) is better than (E), so it’s our winner.

Hello Charles,

I really don't understand why sometimes we say that PRONOUN ambiguity is not an absolute rule, but sometimes we conveniently use the same tool to eliminate the options in other questions. Also, sometimes we say that PASSIVE voice construction is not necessarily wrong, yet we use the same tool to eliminate some options in other questions.

My point is what CLEARLY defines a boundary between ''DEFINITE ERROR'' and ''NON-DEFINITE ERROR'', isn't this really slippery?

I eliminated Option D because I thought it has a ''DEFINITE ERROR'' in saying '' A consumer''. I have seen may OG questions which eliminate options using this rule (why to use a singular article to represent typical characteristics of a subject?)

I selected Option E because I thought ''by consumers'' is now within a non-essential modifier and so pronouns ''them'' and ''their'' can now safely refer to the ''HOUSEHOLD CLEANING PRODUCTS'', since I considered subject of the second clause ideally refers to subject of the preceding clause that is correctly expressed in Option E. Moreover, I didn't think of eliminating Option E just because it has passive voice construction, or it has any other apparent pronoun ambiguity. There were no DEFINITE ERRORS for me.

Seeing such usage of slippery logic for conveniently choosing between a right and wrong option is taking my mind on a convoluted ride.

Would be helpful if you can shed some light on this issue?

Regards
Vighnesh
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
VIGHNESHKAMATH wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
This question doesn’t test a terribly difficult set of concepts, but I still see a lot of errors on it, mostly because people tend to miss the pronouns “them” and “they” in the non-underlined portion. If you catch those right away, it’s a little bit easier to get to the right answer efficiently, as we discussed in this YouTube video.

Quote:

The idiom is one problem with (A): the correct idiom is “think of X as”, not “think of X to be.”

But let’s suppose that you don’t know that. After all, there are somewhere around 25,000 idioms in English; you don’t plan to memorize all of them, right?

Even if the idiom escapes you, the GMAT still gives you a decent reason to eliminate (A): the pronouns “they” and “them” are ambiguous, because both “consumers” and “household cleaning products” are plural. And you could argue that because “many of them” is the subject of the 2nd clause of the sentence, it most likely refers back to the subject of the 1st clause (“consumers”), and that would make the sentence illogical: “many of [the consumers] can be harmful to health…” (For more on the nuances of this particular type of pronoun issue, check out this video, and we also discussed this specific question in a more recent video.)

To be fair, this is tricky stuff, and I’m not 100% certain that the pronouns are WRONG in (A). After all, pronoun ambiguity isn’t an absolute rule on the GMAT (more on that in the same pronoun video mentioned above).

So if you aren’t sure about the idiom and wanted to be conservative, you could keep (A). But as we’ll see in a moment, there are answer choices that fix the pronoun issue completely.

Quote:

I definitely can’t come up with any reason why we would say “think of X being…” I can’t even figure out what “being” is trying to do in that sentence, to be honest.

Plus, the pronoun issue mentioned in (A) is still a problem. See the explanation for (A) if you want more rambling (and resources) about the pronouns.

Anyway, (B) is out.
Quote:

This one is the easiest to eliminate. Sure, the word “being” doesn’t really make any sense in here (see the explanation for (B) for more on this), but the bigger issue is that “their” has no referent, since “a consumer” is singular.

Quote:

OK, so (D) very nicely cleans up the pronoun issue we described in answer choice (A). Because “a consumer” is now singular, “many of them” and “their” (in the non-underlined portion) MUST refer back to the only remaining plural noun, “household cleaning products.” And that makes perfect sense: it’s the “household cleaning products” that are hazardous to health, not the consumers.

So we can keep (D).

Quote:

The biggest problem with (E) is that it’s a passive version of (D). Passive voice isn’t automatically WRONG on the GMAT, but you need to have a really, really good reason to use it. Consider the following two sentences:

• Charlie ate three kilograms of dosas. → Active voice, since the grammatical subject of the sentence (Charlie) actually “performs” the action (“ate”).
  • Three kilograms of dosas were eaten by Charlie. → Passive voice, since the main action of the sentence (eating) is performed by a noun (Charlie) which is no longer the subject of the sentence.

Again, the second version isn’t WRONG, but it’s a silly and inefficient way to write that particular sentence.

The same is true of (E): why say “household cleaning products may not be thought of, by consumers, as…” when we could just start the sentence with a nice, clean subject and verb (“Consumers may not think of household cleaning products…”), like the version in (D)?

Hello Charles,

I really don't understand why sometimes we say that PRONOUN ambiguity is not an absolute rule, but sometimes we conveniently use the same tool to eliminate the options in other questions. Also, sometimes we say that PASSIVE voice construction is not necessarily wrong, yet we use the same tool to eliminate some options in other questions.

My point is what CLEARLY defines a boundary between ''DEFINITE ERROR'' and ''NON-DEFINITE ERROR'', isn't this really slippery?

I eliminated Option D because I thought it has a ''DEFINITE ERROR'' in saying '' A consumer''. I have seen may OG questions which eliminate options using this rule (why to use a singular article to represent typical characteristics of a subject?)

I selected Option E because I thought ''by consumers'' is now within a non-essential modifier and so pronouns ''them'' and ''their'' can now safely refer to the ''HOUSEHOLD CLEANING PRODUCTS'', since I considered subject of the second clause ideally refers to subject of the preceding clause that is correctly expressed in Option E. Moreover, I didn't think of eliminating Option E just because it has passive voice construction, or it has any other apparent pronoun ambiguity. There were no DEFINITE ERRORS for me.

Seeing such usage of slippery logic for conveniently choosing between a right and wrong option is taking my mind on a convoluted ride.

Regards
Vighnesh

Hello VIGHNESHKAMATH,

We hope this finds you well.

To provide a bit of clarity, non-definite errors are, broadly speaking, those related to style and conciseness; they are sentence constructions that make the sentence wordier, less clear, or less direct. These errors are not enough to eliminate an answer choice but can be used to choose between two or more otherwise correct answer choices.

Any error that violates a clear grammatical rule or distorts the meaning of the sentence is a definite error.

To address another point you have made here, pronoun ambiguity is a definite error, it is just that pronoun ambiguity does not apply if there is only one logical interpretation of what the pronoun refers to.

To understand the concept of "Exceptions to Pronoun Ambiguity" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
VIGHNESHKAMATH wrote:
Hello Charles,

Regards
Vighnesh

This is what makes SC so tough: sometimes we're eliminating answer choices because they contain a definitive grammar error. And other times we're eliminating answer choices that aren't technically wrong, but simply aren't as good or clear as an alternative. Slippery indeed.

So you want to go into these questions with a clear set of priorities in mind. First, you're eliminating the stuff you know for sure is wrong. In an easier question, that might be enough to get you to an answer. For a tougher one, you're going to have to dig in and do a side-by-side comparison to determine what works best.

All to say: if I see an answer choice with a pronoun that seems ambiguous, I'm not going to treat it as a definitive error. If all of the other choices have glaring problems, then I guess I'll be stuck selecting an option that has an ambiguous pronoun. But if I'm left with two options, am unable to find any other errors, and one of the options has a confusing pronoun while the other doesn't, well, the one without the confusing pronoun is better, so I'm going with that one.

Does it feel good when this happens? Nope! But the point isn't to feel good. The point is to make the best choice, and sometimes we have to make this choice without using definitive errors. It's the nature of the beast.

In this case, (D) has no concrete error. It's fine to use a singular subject to make a generalization. I can write, "A human needs love," to make a general statement about people, right? So, no rule here.

And while (E) doesn't have any grammatical errors, it's awfully strange to use "by consumers" as a nonessential modifier. It's pretty essential. (If we cut it out, then which group thinks household cleaning products are safe? Manufacturers? Flamenco dancers?) So that's one problem.

Also, when I see the clause "Household cleaning products may not be thought of," I initially interpret that to mean that household cleaning products don't appear in someone's thoughts. Then, when I get to "as hazardous substances," I have to double back and reread the whole thing to figure out what's going on. Definitively wrong? Nope. But more confusing than the clean simple construction I see in (D), so I'm picking (D).

If I'm doing this under pressure, will I be 100% certain that (E) is wrong? Maybe not. But I'll feel confident that I set my priorities properly, looked for concrete errors first, and then used logic and clarity to make the best decision I could. And that's my goal, rather than absolute certainty.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
One of the quality of "AS" is it presents comparison.

For Ex:
Stacey takes care of her children, as a mother.

In this "Stacey" is a mother taking care of her children.

In option D:
A consumer may not think of household cleaning products as hazardous substances.

Is the sentence not having the ambiguity-- "A consumer as hazardous substances" may not think of household cleaning products. (although this does not make sense, but sentence appears illogical).
Please clarify.
Due Regards.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
himanshu0077 wrote:

For Ex:

In option D:
A consumer may not think of household cleaning products as hazardous substances.

Is the sentence not having the ambiguity-- "A consumer as hazardous substances" may not think of household cleaning products. (although this does not make sense, but sentence appears illogical).
Please clarify.
Due Regards.

For that reason, a better sentence will be:

As a mother, Stacey takes care of her children.
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [0]
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanshu0077 wrote:

For Ex:

In option D:

These are not comparisons.

When "as" is a preposition—followed only by a noun—it means "in the role of" / "performing the functions of".
Both of your examples above use the preposition form of "as". It's the same word that appears in sentences about dressing up as a superhero e.g., for Hallowe'en.

"As" only sets up COMPARISONS between two whole sentences.

E.g., [i]Wedding vows confirm a couple's commitment to each other, (just) as oaths of office confirm elected officials' loyalty to their country and to their constituents.
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanshu0077 wrote:
Is the sentence not having the ambiguity [...] although this does not make sense

The answer to ↑↑this↑↑ is ALWAYS "no".

Nonsense meanings do not count as valid for any purpose. The correct way to handle nonsense interpretations is to disregard them entirely.

If a grammatical construction has one sensible interpretation and one absurd interpretation, then it has a total of one possible interpretation, NOT two. Absurdities don't create ambiguity, nor should you take them into account for any other reason.

(Think about it for a sec: If 1 sensible interpretation + 1 nonsense interpretation actually DID create ambiguity, then, only people who actually took the stupid nonsense meaning into account would be able to get the problem correct! That would be the worst possible kind of trick question: one that would punish normal, commonsense approaches.
The GMAT does not contain any trick questions of any kind—especially not anything that ends up requiring you to think about non-possibilities that you should just reject immediately!)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
I also thought D is correct but I rejected it because 'as' can't be followed by noun when used for comparison.

So can idiom rule over this rule?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
BansalT wrote:
I also thought D is correct but I rejected it because 'as' can't be followed by noun when used for comparison.

Hi, as Ron mentions in the post above, as isn't really used in the sense of comparison here; as is used as a preposition.

For example:

As a teacher, Mike is very competent.

This basically means that in the "role of/function of" a teacher, Mike is very competent.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses the usage of "as", its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
BansalT wrote:

There is no conflict between principles here. In fact, these two principles CANNOT EVER come into conflict, because they govern mutually exclusive situations.

• The prepositional phrase "AS + [noun]" creates sentences that are NOT COMPARISONS.
A comparison is made between two things that are NOT THE SAME!
This prepositional phrase, by contrast, will introduce a description that applies back to the subject. Not two different things; therefore not a comparison.

E.g.,
I want to dress up as Wonder Woman for Halloween.
"I"... "As Wonder Woman"... both apply to the same person. The speaker of this sentence is going to wear a Wonder Woman outfit.
There's only 1 person in this sentence, so it cannot possibly be a comparison.

Nobody thinks of kitchen cleaning products as possibly lethal poisons, even though some of them are.
"kitchen cleaning products"...."as possibly lethal poisons"... 2 descriptions of the same stuff under your sink.
A comparison would have to involve two DIFFERENT sets of chemicals, which we don't even have in the first place.

Contrast the above with this comparison sentence:
Kitchen cleaning products are not allowed to be as concentrated as industrial cleaning chemicals.
2 different sets of chemicals in boldface. You know they're different because they have different concentration thresholds.
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
BansalT wrote:

To confirm—It's absolutely impossible for these usages of "as" to compete with each other.

If you're not sure which type of "as" to use, just figure out whether the sentence is about...
... ONE thing/person/set of things/group of people + some function or perception thereof,
or
... TWO DIFFERENT things/people/sets of things/groups of people (put into a comparison).

This should be neither hard nor time-consuming. If it IS hard or time-consuming (or, worse, both), then you are not allocating enough attention to what the sentence is actually SAYING.

Instead, you may be treating SC sentences almost like algebra equations. If so, that's a HUGE mistake! The GMAT has separate verbal and quant scores because verbal and quant do not test the same skills.

If you're approaching a quant problem type and a verbal problem type in fundamentally the same way, then at least one of those approaches is fundamentally mismatched to the content and won't lead to effective solutions. (If you're really, really, REALLY turned around, it's possible that both approaches will be ineffectual. But one approach will NEVER be effective on both Q and V.

(Here: Algebra equations never change in any way if you replace, say, 'x' with 'z' or with a picture of an alligator (although the alligator option will take a loooooong time).
SC sentences, on the other hand, could change massively if you replace some word with a different word. Doing so could easily flip around or alter every single major relationship in the entire sentence. If you treat SC's like algebra problems, you'll get most of them wrong (or you won't get anywhere at all and you'll have to make a random guess).

In the problem at hand, you're just talking about ONE set of chemicals—followed by a certain perception of that same set of chemicals.
Not a comparison. There's no comparison to be had here at all, because only one set of chemicals is described.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
BansalT wrote:

Hello BansalT,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, in Option D, "as" is not a comparison marker; rather, it serves as a preposition and forms the idiomatic construction “noun ("household cleaning products") + as + noun ("hazardous substances")” construction”; this idiom is used to describe the role played by a noun.

Here, what the use of this idiom conveys is that consumers do not think that household cleaning products can play the role of hazardous substances.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Consumers may not think of household cleaning products to be hazardous [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Anyway, (B) is out.
Quote:

Quote:

So we can keep (D).

Quote:

GMATNinja, KarishmaB , egmat ,ExpertsGlobal,
AjiteshArun, AndrewN
RonTargetTestPrep , IanStewart isn't there is rule that if in 2nd clause pronoun is acting as subject then it refers to subject of 1st clause.
Here only E does this. So shouldn't E be preferred over D?

Originally posted by rickyric395 on 08 Aug 2023, 10:58.
Last edited by rickyric395 on 08 Aug 2023, 22:01, edited 3 times in total.
GMAT Club Bot
Consumers may not think of household cleaning products to be hazardous [#permalink]
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts