GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 07:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Consuming more Spam per capita than any U.S. state, Hawaiian

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Consuming more Spam per capita than any U.S. state, Hawaiian  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2013, 05:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (00:55) correct 29% (00:54) wrong based on 491 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Consuming more Spam per capita than any U.S. state, Hawaiians refer to the ubiquitous product as “the Hawaiian steak.”

(A) Consuming more Spam per capita than any U.S. state, Hawaiians refer
(B) Because they consume more Spam per capita than any U.S. state, Hawaiians refer
(C) Hawaiians consume more Spam per capita than do residents of any U.S. state; they refer
(D) In Hawaii, which consumes more Spam per capita than any U.S. state, they refer
(E) Hawaiians, who consume more Spam per capita than do the residents of any other U.S. state, refer

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Most Helpful Community Reply
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Consuming more Spam per capita than any U.S. state, Hawaiian  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2013, 06:32
honchos wrote:
Consuming more Spam per capita than any U.S. state, Hawaiians refer to the ubiquitous product as “the Hawaiian steak.”

Consuming more Spam per capita than any U.S. state, Hawaiians refer
Because they consume more Spam per capita than any U.S. state, Hawaiians refer
Hawaiians consume more Spam per capita than do residents of any U.S. state; they refer
In Hawaii, which consumes more Spam per capita than any U.S. state, they refer
Hawaiians, who consume more Spam per capita than do the residents of any other U.S. state, refer

N.B Some one please help me with the detailed explanation.

some theory:
when to use any vs anyother.
Shanghai is larger thananycity in India.
MUMBAI is the larger than any other city India.

see above example : since MUMBAI is in India...so if you use only ANY ...MUMBAI is the larger than any city India.==>IN THIS ANY CITY ALSO INCLUDES MUMBAI..so here correct USAGE is ANY OTHER..hence this usage of ANY is wrong.

Now: Shanghai is larger than any city in India.==>since SHANGHAI doesnt belong to ANY CITY of INDIA..hence use of ANY is correct here.

NOW in your question HAWAII is located in US and is compared to US cities...so correct usage is ANY OTHER.

basing this only you can easily eliminate options A/B/C/D.

I think this will be the easiest way to come to the answer.

hence E

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

General Discussion
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Consuming more Spam per capita than any U.S. state, Hawaiian  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2013, 06:50

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Solution: E

This problem involves Comparison and Illogical Meaning errors, in that “Hawaiians” don’t consume more Spam than any other state, but rather the people of those states. Furthermore, as Hawaii is itself a state, Hawaiians can’t eat more Spam than the residents of “any state”, but rather “any OTHER state”. Once you’ve eliminated these errors, you’re left with answer choice E, the correct answer.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2013, 11:59
I think the trick to get this question right is to identify the entities that are getting compared.

US-States vs Hawaiians which does not make sense, since we cant compare US States vs People staying in Hawaii. Hence E makes sense logically.

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2013, 12:03
vabhs192003 wrote:
I think the trick to get this question right is to identify the entities that are getting compared.

US-States vs Hawaiians which does not make sense, since we cant compare US States vs People staying in Hawaii. Hence E makes sense logically.

according to this ...how r you going to eliminate option C?

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2013, 12:21
As you pointed out, usage of any other vs any is relevant here.

Also in C, in IMO, the original sentence structure is lost and hence is not a clear favorite compared to E.

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Manhattan Prep Instructor

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2013, 15:57
vabhs192003 wrote:
As you pointed out, usage of any other vs any is relevant here.

Also in C, in IMO, the original sentence structure is lost and hence is not a clear favorite compared to E.

This comment is right on track. There are a few comparison issues in this problem and the "any" vs. "any other" is a Comparison error that eliminates C (though I will admit it is more difficult to spot than the comparison error with people compared with states).

Also, the emphasis of the sentence changes in answer choice C (I would consider this a meaning issue). In the original, the core of the sentence is "Hawaiians refer to [spam] as the Hawaiian steak", so in the original sentence, the most important element is how spam is refereed to as steak. The leading modifier "Consuming more Spam per capita than any U.S. state" is designed to provide additional information about Hawaiian spam eating, but it's not part of the core of the sentence. In answer choice C, the emphasis has been changed so that Hawaiian spam consumption (originally a modifier) and calling spam Hawaiian steak (original core) have equal importance and are presented as two cores separated by a semicolon (semicolons are used to connect to ideas that are both important and closely related).

Answer choice E, on the other hand, stays true to the original by making the core "Hawaiians (modifying element) refer to [spam] as the Hawaiian steak". Choice E maintains the meaning of the original while fixing the comparison error.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2018, 01:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

Re: Consuming more Spam per capita than any U.S. state, Hawaiian &nbs [#permalink] 05 Jun 2018, 01:22

Consuming more Spam per capita than any U.S. state, Hawaiian

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap