Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [15]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [3]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [3]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Send PM
Contrary to popular belief, victors in the ancient Greek Olympic Games [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Contrary to popular belief, victors in the ancient Greek Olympic Games received cash prizes in addition to their laurel wreaths.

(A) Contrary to

(B) In contrast with

(C) Opposite of

(D) Unlike

(E) In spite of

In the context, popular belief is just the opposite of the historical truth. Therefore we need a phrase that can STRONGLY express the difference.

(A) Contrary to
Correct.
"Contrary" means: Ω={A, B}, and A∩B=Φ.
In English, this means that A and B are complementary events, that B is just the opposite of A.

(B) In contrast with
This means that if we compare A with B, we will find that there are lots of differences. However we cannot say that there are no other possibilities.
B is not so strong enough to express the difference as A. So B is not what we want. Cross it out.

(C) Opposite of
Wrong idiom.
Although its logical meaning is the same as A.
It should be "Opposite to"

(D) Unlike
Wrong. Same as B.

(E) In spite of
Wrong.
This means that although a fact exist, the fact itself cannot stop us from doing sth.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Re: Contrary to popular belief, victors in the ancient Greek Olympic Games [#permalink]
) “Contrary to” is used for elucidating something that is actually correct but is perceived differently by others. It is not used to compare two similar or different things but to simply state a fact that is contrary to the belief. For example: Contrary to the teacher’s perception, Jack is a bright child.
Hence, A is the perfect choice for the case at hand.
“Unlike” or “In contrast with” are used for showing difference between two similar things. Hence, B and D are wrong.
C and E are silly.
Hence, A is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
Send PM
Re: Contrary to popular belief, victors in the ancient Greek Olympic Games [#permalink]
Why A is correct?

I understand that "Contrary to" is an adjective followed by comma and clause.

Therefore, it must modify "victors", which is the subject of the sentence.

Contrary modifies victors -- quite weird.

Expert please expert

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Kudos
"Contrary to" doesn't need equivalent objects to be compared. However, "in contrast to", "unlike", "opposite to" do need equivalent / similar objects to be compared. What I meant is that:

Here, we are not comparing anything. We are just saying that the practice of victors receiving prizes etc. is not known, or say against the popular belief. We don't have a comparison, say, popular belief or unpopular belief. Therefore, "contrary to" is used.

Another example: unlike apple, banana is yellow. Here, we are explicitly comparing apple and banana. Therefore, "unlike" is used. Similar explanations would apply to "in contrast to" and "opposite to".

"In spite of" has a meaning error. It means "despite" but that is not the intended meaning of the original sentence.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts