Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4922 [152]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [27]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3947 [26]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950s and early 1960s that [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
udaymathapati wrote:
Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950’s and early 1960’s that predicted the processes of modernization and rationalization would gradually undermine it, ethnicity is a worldwide phenomenon of increasing importance.

(A) would gradually undermine it
(B) to be a gradual undermining of it
(C) would be a gradual undermining of ethnicity
(D) to gradually undermine ethnicity
(E) gradually undermining it

Concepts tested here: Verb Forms + Redundancy/Awkwardness

• The "would + simple present tense verb" construction is used to refer to hypothetical future actions.
• The simple present continuous tense is used to refer to actions that are currently ongoing and continuous in nature.

A: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the "would + simple present tense verb ("undermine" in this sentence)" construction to refer to a hypothetical future event. Further, Option A is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses the infinitive verb form (“to + base form of verb” - “to + be” in this sentence)” to refer to a hypothetical future action; please remember, the "would + simple present tense verb" construction is used to refer to a hypothetical action in the future. Further, Option B uses the needlessly wordy phrase “be a gradual undermining of it”, leading to awkwardness.

C: This answer uses the needlessly wordy phrase “be a gradual undermining of ethnicity”, rendering it awkward and needlessly redundant.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses the infinitive verb form (“to + base form of verb” - “to + be” in this sentence)” to refer to a hypothetical future action; please remember, the "would + simple present tense verb" construction is used to refer to a hypothetical action in the future. Further, Option D uses the needlessly wordy phrase “be a gradual undermining of it”, leading to awkwardness.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple present continuous tense verb “undermining” to refer to a hypothetical future action; please remember, the "would + simple present tense verb" construction is used to refer to a hypothetical action in the future, and the simple present continuous tense is only used to refer to actions that are currently ongoing and continuous in nature.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Continuous Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [4]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Re: Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950’s and early 1960’s that [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
udaymathapati wrote:
Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950’s and early 1960’s that predicted the processes of modernization and rationalization would gradually under mine it, ethnicity is a worldwide phenomenon of increasing importance.

(A) would gradually undermine it

Since verb prediected has appeared it should complement with would verb? Is this correct?

in A, the OA, "it" pronoun appear before it noun. this case is called forward reference to differentiate with bacward case, in which noun appears before pronoun.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [11]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Send PM
Re: Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950’s and early 1960’s that [#permalink]
Kudos
Excuse me, but I have to firmly disagree with this sentence as a whole, including the answer choices.

Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950’s and early 1960’s that predicted the processes of modernization and rationalization would gradually under mine it, ethnicity is a worldwide phenomenon of increasing importance

"it" here clearly refers to ethnicity and it doesn't make sense, therefore it's incorrect. All the answer choices either repeat the same ambigous use of "it" or create redundancy by using "ethnicity" twice ,so to be correct the sentence would have to be rewritten in some other way.

Of course you can say that the only way for this sentence to make sense, given the answer choices provided, is to assume that "it" refers to the following "ethnicity" but come on, in this case the SC becomes subjective to one's interpretation of the meaning, following this logic you can discuss the meaning of virtually any SC question. There have to be objective reasons to consider a choice correct.

Here, the way I see it, the question given is not written in a good way to test SC skills and creates the "wrong" type of difficulty. Instead of testing objective knowledge it tests subjective interpretation of the meaning.

What you guys think? I am I missing some exotic rule here? For a 600+ question there shouldn't be any though.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [9]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
iliavko wrote:
Excuse me, but I have to firmly disagree with this sentence as a whole, including the answer choices.

Contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950’s and early 1960’s that predicted the processes of modernization and rationalization would gradually under mine it, ethnicity is a worldwide phenomenon of increasing importance

"it" here clearly refers to ethnicity and it doesn't make sense, therefore it's incorrect. All the answer choices either repeat the same ambigous use of "it" or create redundancy by using "ethnicity" twice ,so to be correct the sentence would have to be rewritten in some other way.

Of course you can say that the only way for this sentence to make sense, given the answer choices provided, is to assume that "it" refers to the following "ethnicity" but come on, in this case the SC becomes subjective to one's interpretation of the meaning, following this logic you can discuss the meaning of virtually any SC question. There have to be objective reasons to consider a choice correct.

Here, the way I see it, the question given is not written in a good way to test SC skills and creates the "wrong" type of difficulty. Instead of testing objective knowledge it tests subjective interpretation of the meaning.

What you guys think? I am I missing some exotic rule here? For a 600+ question there shouldn't be any though.

Yes, even in the correct option A, the use of "it" is questionable. Moreover "that" is missing after "predicted".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [7]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
I solved this SC by moving phrases around:

Ethnicity is a worldwide phenomenon of increasing importance contrary to the scholarly wisdom of the 1950’s and early 1960’s that predicted the processes of modernization and rationalization would gradually undermine it.

(A) would gradually undermine it --> CORRECT. By moving phrases around, we can see that there's no ambiguity and sentence makes sense as it currently stands.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Kudos
What is the Subject here, isn't it scholarly wisdom? Then how come it refers to Ethnicity. Can someone help me understand this answer.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
krishnabalu wrote:
What is the Subject here, isn't it scholarly wisdom? Then how come it refers to Ethnicity. Can someone help me understand this answer.
Scholarly wisdom is not the subject of the sentence. The main subject is actually ethnicity. However, in general, a pronoun can refer to things other than the subject. For example:

Although he had received a good score on his last attempt, he was not happy with it.

The it refers to a good score (by meaning, as it could also refer to his last attempt).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
iliavko wrote:

Yes, even in the correct option A, the use of "it" is questionable. Moreover "that" is missing after "predicted".

Something just popped up in my mind that is there any rule related to the use of a pronoun before prior mention of its antecedent?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63667 [5]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos