Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Sciencex   Short Passagex                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [75]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [27]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE:Editorial and Writing (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [7]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [2]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Coral reefs are one of the most fragile, biologically complex, and [#permalink]
Kudos
OE#1: The author focuses on how harmful these human activities are to coral reefs

OE#2 : The word 'suggests' in the question indicates that the answer will be an inference based. The beginning of the passage states that nutrient poor waters (lines 4–5) sustain the thriving life of a coral reef

OE#3: This 'logical structure' question concerns why the author has included a particular detail. The complete sentence (lines 21–24) shows that a higher population of filter-feeding animals is a symptom of reef decline

OE#4 : Waste by-products increase nutrients in the water, and reefs decline as nutrients grow more plentiful (lines 21–24).

OE#5 : The paradox is that the reefs seem to flourish with little food
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q790 V710
WE:Editorial and Writing (Education)
Send PM
Re: Coral reefs are one of the most fragile, biologically complex, and [#permalink]
Kudos
Dear ronr34,

E is a distortion. The first sentence says that coral reefs are one of the most fragile, biologically complex, and diverse "marine" ecosystems on Earth. If E had compared the reef communities to the other marine ecosystems, it would probably have been correct.

But E compares reef communities to "most ecosystems on dry land". The passage doesn't provide any information about ecosystems located on dry land. So it needn't be true that reef communities are more complex and diverse than most ecosystems on dry land.

--Prasad
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Took 7 mins 30 seconds , including 2 mins to read
-how coral reefs survive in nutrient-poor waters
-human activities are adding nutrients to shallow marine habitats, thus threatening the survival of coral reef communities

1. Answer B

2."This ecosystem is one of the fascinating paradoxes of the biosphere: how do clear, and thus nutrient-poor, waters support such prolific and productive communities"
Choice E can also be eliminated because the first sentence of the passage states that coral reefs “are one of the most fragile, biologically complex, and diverse marine ecosystems on Earth”; it does not, however, discuss the complexity of coral reefs communities in the context of ecosystems on dry land.

Answer A

3.In the second paragraph, the author asserts than human activities are adding nutrients to coral reef habitats, thus causing reef decline.
"Typical symptoms of reef decline are destabilized herbivore populations and an increasing abundance of algae and filter-feeding animals."
as a typical symptom of this decline.

Answer A

4." a variety of human activities are causing worldwide degradation of shallow marine habitats by adding nutrients to the water. "
Answer E

5.the author calls coral reefs “one of the fascinating paradoxes of the biosphere.” The author goes on to explain the nature of this paradox: the “prolific and productive” coral reef communities survive in nutrient-poor waters.

Answer C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [2]
Given Kudos: 142
Schools: IIMA PGPX'22
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Experts please help -

When i started reading this passage, I got an outline that I am going to read about a paradox (while reading the second line of the first paragraph). The author is interested to explain that so do I to read that. In first passage, he explained about the Coral reef and mechanism of their survival. In the second passage, the author talked about how human interventions are contributing to the decline of Coral Reef (Explaining the Paradox).

Now while answering the first Question - My pre-thinking was "Coral Reef and its survival in nutrient-poor water"

I eliminated all the answer choice except A and B.

Now my understanding with main point RC question is - Essence of the passage would not be limited to any specific paragraph.

Choice A - Here effects of human activities on algae in coral reef is mentioned in paragraph 2 only

Choice B - Similar line details about human activities are posing threat to coral reef communities is mentioned in paragraph 2 only.

Please help me to correct my understanding here. And suggest how should i be sure enough to either reject option A or select option B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 133
Send PM
rahul2013 wrote:
Experts please help -

When i started reading this passage, I got an outline that I am going to read about a paradox (while reading the second line of the first paragraph). The author is interested to explain that so do I to read that. In first passage, he explained about the Coral reef and mechanism of their survival. In the second passage, the author talked about how human interventions are contributing to the decline of Coral Reef (Explaining the Paradox).

Now while answering the first Question - My pre-thinking was "Coral Reef and its survival in nutrient-poor water"

I eliminated all the answer choice except A and B.

Now my understanding with main point RC question is - Essence of the passage would not be limited to any specific paragraph.

Choice A - Here effects of human activities on algae in coral reef is mentioned in paragraph 2 only

Choice B - Similar line details about human activities are posing threat to coral reef communities is mentioned in paragraph 2 only.

Please help me to correct my understanding here. And suggest how should i be sure enough to either reject option A or select option B

Hi Rahul,

Here are my two cents-

My pre-thinking about the main reason why the author wrote this passage was to talk about "the symbiotic relationship between coral reefs and other organisms and the impact of human activities on the organisms of coral reef community.

Choice A: I rejected A the moment I read "effects of human activities on algae". The passage talks about the effects on not only "algae", but also other organisms in the coral reef community. This answer choice talks only about "algae"; hence, it is incorrect.

Choice B: This matches with my pre-thinking. I kept it, and then I eliminated other options.

As you mentioned earlier, the other three choices (C, D and E) were easy to eliminate.

I hope this helps.

Aiena.

Originally posted by Aiena on 10 Jan 2018, 10:50.
Last edited by Aiena on 10 Jan 2018, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 133
Send PM
tanad wrote:
For question 2 - Why isn't B the answer?

Hi Tanad,

Does the passage say anywhere that the nutrients are found ONLY in "shallow waters"?

Have a look at the first line of the second paragraph. You can see how beautifully have they tried to trick us in this answer choice because that line talks about "shallow marine habitats". :-) I think this is an excellent example of priming.

I hope this helps.

Aiena.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
jabhatta wrote:
For question 1, OG is B. Why is D not an answer ? Doesnt the first para talk about the way food is prepared ..

jabhatta
Hello,
Your point is true for first paragraph only. The second paragraph is not talking about food preparation by these corals.
When we are asked for the main purpose of a passage, we have to answer keeping all paragraphs in our mind.
That is why B is not the correct answer.

I hope you get the idea.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
ronr34 wrote:
Question 2: why isn't the answer E?

It's stated in the first sentence of the article.... they are " one of the most fragile, biologically complex, and diverse marine ecosystems on Earth."

What's wrong with option E?

Hello ronr34,
Let me explain your query.
It is truly mentioned that they(Reefs) belong to some of the most fragile, etc.. ecosystems. in the passage, but it is not compared with species on dry land.
So we can't tell the specific comparison between dry land species and these reefs from this passage.

Hope it helps.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
P1 - CR ecosystem defined.
P2- human activities are affecting CR.
Main point - CR ecosystem and HA are affecting it in what manners.

1. The passage is primarily concerned with:

(A) describing the effects of human activities on algae in coral reefs - p2
(B) explaining how human activities are posing a threat to coral reef communities - closest.
(C) discussing the process by which coral reefs deteriorate in nutrient-poor waters - no
(D) explaining how coral reefs produce food for themselves - p1
(E) describing the abundance of algae and filter feeding animals in coral reef areas - no

------------------------------------------------
2. The passage suggests which of the following about coral reef communities?
(A) Coral reef communities may actually be more likely to thrive in waters that are relatively low in nutrients. -
(B) The nutrients on which coral reef communities thrive are only found in shallow waters. -
(C) Human population growth has led to changing ocean temperatures, which threatens coral reef communities. - no
(D) The growth of coral reef communities tends to destabilize underwater herbivore populations. - no
(E) Coral reef communities are more complex and diverse than most ecosystems located on dry land. - no comparison.

3. The author refers to “ filter-feeding animals” (lines 23–24) in order to
Typical symptoms of reef decline are destabilized herbivore populations and an increasing abundance of algae and filter-feeding animals.
(A) provide an example of a characteristic sign of reef deterioration - y

4. According to the passage, which of the following is a factor that is threatening the survival of coral reef communities?
P2 has it.

(E) Waste by-products result in an increase in nutrient input to reef communities. - yes

-------------------------------------------------
5. It can be inferred from the passage that the author describes coral reef communities as paradoxical most likely for which of the following reasons?

(C) They are able to survive in an environment with limited food resources. - best of the lot. they survive even in abundance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [4]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
I'm going to go ahead and add thoughts on question 2, seeing as it has also been brought up by users. Not to be a 'Negative Nancy' here, but truly, I find comments such as "easy passage, all right" to be a waste of space. It's great feedback for yourself; however, those comments definitely add no value to this forum. In fact, it probably only makes people feel badly if they didn't =\ If you're going to post something, please make it helpful for others. After all, that's why this community exists - for us to help ourselves and each other.

Anyway, hope this is helpful!
Quote:

(A) Coral reef communities may actually be more likely to thrive in waters that are relatively low in nutrients.
(B) The nutrients on which coral reef communities thrive are only found in shallow waters.
(C) Human population growth has led to changing ocean temperatures, which threatens coral reef communities.
(D) The growth of coral reef communities tends to destabilize underwater herbivore populations.
(E) Coral reef communities are more complex and diverse than most ecosystems located on dry land.

Step 1. I always, always, always rephrase the passage as I read. If you did this, a good sniff test is if you can answer the question "what is this passage primarily concerned with?" If you can't answer this with confidence, the chances of you struggling to answer the related questions are high. Be forewarned! But also know that this will come with diligence and practice.

Step 2. For every question, always go back to the passage. To 'suggest' is synonymous with to 'infer'; you're looking for an answer choice that is bona fide true given the statements presented in the passage.

Step 3. Always find 4 wrong answers!
    (A) Coral reef communities may actually be more likely to thrive in waters that are relatively low in nutrients.- Bingo! Recall that this is discussed in paragraph 2, sentence 4. Coral reefs aren't doing well with high nutrient levels, which suggests that they would do well in the opposite circumstance.

(B) The nutrients on which coral reef communities thrive are only found in shallow waters. - A temptress. Look at paragraph 1, sentence 2. Coral reefs proliferate (i.e. thrive) in clear, nutrient-poor water. There is no mention of these waters being shallow or deep. If you chose B, and are confused why this is not the answer, chances are you're referring to paragraph 2, sentence 1 - "Unfortunately for coral reefs, however, a variety of human activities are causing worldwide degradation of shallow marine habitats by adding nutrients to the water. The text does not state, nor suggest that shallow waters are where the nutrients on which coral reefs thrive and that is the key differentiator between the right vs wrong answer.

(C) Human population growth has led to changing ocean temperatures, which threatens coral reef communities. - The passage does not have any mention of temperatures whatsoever. If this answer choice was appealing for you, make sure you don't open up your thoughts to things outside of the passage (i.e. thoughts on relevant global climate change. While they may be true in the real world context, the gmat questions operate in a closed environment that is your screen.

(D) The growth of coral reef communities tends to destabilize underwater herbivore populations. - Another good temptress. Let's look at paragraph 2, sentence 3. The passage states that "typical symptoms of reef decline are destabilized herbivore populations and an increasing abundance of algae and filter-feeding animals. It is the opposite - it's the death of these guys that tends to destabilize etc...

(E) Coral reef communities are more complex and diverse than most ecosystems located on dry land.- the passage makes no comparisons between coral reef communities vs ecosystems on dry land. If you were tempted by this answer choice, chances are that you were enticed by paragraph 1 sentence 1.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Chelsea212 wrote:
I'm going to go ahead and add thoughts on question 2, seeing as it has also been brought up by users. Not to be a 'Negative Nancy' here, but truly, I find comments such as "easy passage, all right" to be a waste of space. It's great feedback for yourself; however, those comments definitely add no value to this forum. In fact, it probably only makes people feel badly if they didn't =\ If you're going to post something, please make it helpful for others. After all, that's why this community exists - for us to help ourselves and each other.

Anyway, hope this is helpful!
Quote:

(A) Coral reef communities may actually be more likely to thrive in waters that are relatively low in nutrients.
(B) The nutrients on which coral reef communities thrive are only found in shallow waters.
(C) Human population growth has led to changing ocean temperatures, which threatens coral reef communities.
(D) The growth of coral reef communities tends to destabilize underwater herbivore populations.
(E) Coral reef communities are more complex and diverse than most ecosystems located on dry land.

Step 1. I always, always, always rephrase the passage as I read. If you did this, a good sniff test is if you can answer the question "what is this passage primarily concerned with?" If you can't answer this with confidence, the chances of you struggling to answer the related questions are high. Be forewarned! But also know that this will come with diligence and practice.

Step 2. For every question, always go back to the passage. To 'suggest' is synonymous with to 'infer'; you're looking for an answer choice that is bona fide true given the statements presented in the passage.

Step 3. Always find 4 wrong answers!
    (A) Coral reef communities may actually be more likely to thrive in waters that are relatively low in nutrients.- Bingo! Recall that this is discussed in paragraph 2, sentence 4. Coral reefs aren't doing well with high nutrient levels, which suggests that they would do well in the opposite circumstance.

(B) The nutrients on which coral reef communities thrive are only found in shallow waters. - A temptress. Look at paragraph 1, sentence 2. Coral reefs proliferate (i.e. thrive) in clear, nutrient-poor water. There is no mention of these waters being shallow or deep. If you chose B, and are confused why this is not the answer, chances are you're referring to paragraph 2, sentence 1 - "Unfortunately for coral reefs, however, a variety of human activities are causing worldwide degradation of shallow marine habitats by adding nutrients to the water. The text does not state, nor suggest that shallow waters are where the nutrients on which coral reefs thrive and that is the key differentiator between the right vs wrong answer.

(C) Human population growth has led to changing ocean temperatures, which threatens coral reef communities. - The passage does not have any mention of temperatures whatsoever. If this answer choice was appealing for you, make sure you don't open up your thoughts to things outside of the passage (i.e. thoughts on relevant global climate change. While they may be true in the real world context, the gmat questions operate in a closed environment that is your screen.

(D) The growth of coral reef communities tends to destabilize underwater herbivore populations. - Another good temptress. Let's look at paragraph 2, sentence 3. The passage states that "typical symptoms of reef decline are destabilized herbivore populations and an increasing abundance of algae and filter-feeding animals. It is the opposite - it's the death of these guys that tends to destabilize etc...

(E) Coral reef communities are more complex and diverse than most ecosystems located on dry land.- the passage makes no comparisons between coral reef communities vs ecosystems on dry land. If you were tempted by this answer choice, chances are that you were enticed by paragraph 1 sentence 1.

Thanks - this is really helpful.

I was indeed tempted by Answer (E) but I chose (A) on the basis that it was less 'extreme'.

It would be good to hear, in more detail, what your reasoning was to avoid being trapped by (E)?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [2]
Given Kudos: 245
Send PM
Kudos
1. The passage is primarily concerned with:
(A) describing the effects of human activities on algae in coral reefs
read carefully - it's not about the human activities ON ALGAE, it's about the impact to the coral reefs themselves

(B) explaining how human activities are posing a threat to coral reef communities
money

(C) discussing the process by which coral reefs deteriorate in nutrient-poor waters
Opposite – They deteriorate in nutrient rich waters

(D) explaining how coral reefs produce food for themselves
The aglae known as Z. carry out photosynthesis USING the metabolic wastes of the coral

(E) describing the abundance of algae and filter feeding animals in coral reef areas
Only extremely small subset of the passage as a whole – it’s just located in the second paragraph plus logically, it’s one small piece of the argument

Best option

We can’t say this for sure.

No where does it talk about ocean temperatures

Opposite – “Typical symptoms of reef decline are destabilized herbivore populations”

No where does it talk about dry land. This is all it says: Coral reefs are one of the most fragile, biologically complex, and diverse marine ecosystems on Earth.

3. The author refers to “filter-feeding animals” (lines 23–24) in order to
(A) provide an example of a characteristic sign of reef deterioration
Money – “Typical symptoms of reef decline are (1) destabilized herbivore populations and an (2) increasing abundance of algae and filter-feeding animals.”

(B) explain how reef communities acquire sustenance for survival
Nope, based on above quote.

(C) identify a factor that helps herbivore populations thrive
Not at all – this seems to come out of no where with zero supporting info; this seems to be a trap for someone who hasn’t read the passage at all and is fishing for an answer with similar wording in the passage

(D) indicate a cause of decreasing nutrient input in waters that reefs inhabit
Mixing up with opposites type wrong answer – This is actually an effect of increasing nutrient input lol

(E) identify members of coral reef communities that rely on coral reefs for nutrients
Story trap – we have no idea what they’re relation is. All you know is a symptom of reef decline = increase in filter-feeding animals (whatever this is)

4. According to the passage, which of the following is a factor that is threatening the survival of coral reef communities?
(A) The waters they inhabit contain few nutrient resources.
It’s the increase in nutrients that affecting survival.

(B) A decline in nutrient input is disrupting their symbiotic relationship with zooxanthellae.
Opposite – It’s an increase that’s disrupting.

(C) The degraded waters of their marine habitats have reduced their ability to carry out photosynthesis.
Corals can’t carry out photosynthesis; the algae (the stuff they have a symbiotic relationship with) carry out photosynthesis

(D) They are too biologically complex to survive in habitats with minimal nutrient input.
Nope – this is said at all. They’re very complex, yes. But they survive off and are “prolific” even with minimal nutrients. This is a fascinating “paradox” according to the author.

(E) Waste by-products result in an increase in nutrient input to reef communities.
Bingo – Increase in wastes (e.g., “sewage disposal and manufacturing that creates waste by-products all increase nutrient loads in these waters”) and we know that increase in nutrients is bad for the coral, according to the above paragraph (because they paradoxically survive well in nutrient poor waters)

5. It can be inferred from the passage that the author describes coral reef communities as paradoxical most likely for which of the following reasons?

(A) They are thriving even though human activities have depleted the nutrients in their environment.
Opposite – Humans increased nutrients

(B) They are able to survive in spite of an overabundance of algae inhabiting their waters.
This isn’t the reason why there’s a paradox

(C) They are able to survive in an environment with limited food resources.
Bingo

(D) Their metabolic wastes contribute to the degradation of the waters that they inhabit.
They contribute to the growth of algae, which corals have a symbiotic relationship with by giving them (the algae) metabolic waste for the algae to utilize for photosynthesis

(E) They are declining even when the water surrounding them remains clear.
Nope, they actually thrive/do well when the water around them remains clear
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Chelsea212
Thank you for your contribution, it really helps to get a good explanation. May I please ask you if Question 2 is a Detail or Inference Question?
I am a bit confused.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
(A) describing the effects of human activities on algae in coral reefs - too specific, not ONLY on algae but the whole Coral reef community

(B) explaining how human activities are posing a threat to coral reef communities CORRECT, a threat to coral reef communities (broad scope different from A)

(C) discussing the process by which coral reefs deteriorate in nutrient-poor waters (it doesnt say they deteriorate but human acitivity is causing this deterioration

(D) explaining how coral reefs produce food for themselves - is just the fisrt paragraph

(E) describing the abundance of algae and filter feeding animals in coral reef areas- just
mentioned in the second paragraph
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
bm2201

In Q-5 ,
It can be inferred from the passage that the author describes coral reef communities as paradoxical most likely for which of the following reasons?
(A) They are thriving even though human activities have depleted the nutrients in their environment.
(B) They are able to survive in spite of an overabundance of algae inhabiting their waters.
(D) Their metabolic wastes contribute to the degradation of the waters that they inhabit.

how to eliminate option E "They are declining even when the water surrounding them remains clear."
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos
PrashantK0099 wrote:
bm2201

In Q-5 ,
It can be inferred from the passage that the author describes coral reef communities as paradoxical most likely for which of the following reasons?

how to eliminate option E "They are declining even when the water surrounding them remains clear."

Hi PrashantK0099,

Consider the lines :
Quote:
Coral reefs are one of the most fragile, biologically complex, and diverse marine ecosystems on Earth. This ecosystem is one of the fascinating paradoxes of the biosphere: how do clear, and thus nutrient-poor, waters support such prolific and productive communities?

Author is basically saying that coral reefs can survive in clear and nutrient deficient waters, as algae produce food for themselves and coral using the metabolic wastes of the coral, thereby, allowing the corals to use their sparse nutrient resources efficiently.

Thus we can eliminate option E and choose option C.

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
bm2201

any help or tips, if exam is after 10 days for RC.

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts