Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Honestly - I am not surprised. Nothing against you Rhyme - but you are shooting for the top schools and do you think its possible Cornell might know that?

Your profile is very impressive, you are a smart and talented guy, and I am sure you are going to get in to one of your top choices.

At the same time its very possible that they just havent gotten to your application yet so I wouldn't be overly worried. When is the final notification deadline? If you were a week or two away from that then I would be concerned.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I was wondering about how a school's yield plays into their admissions decisions. If they have an applicant that is clearly above their average stats, and shooting for higher schools, will they not extend an offer?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Rhyme.......

Cornell knows.... you are too good for them......Dude whatever you say..
or whatever you might have done.....

The way you write is your biggest advantage... once they read it .... they know you are for top schools.....

Now I think .... my line is clear to apply :wink:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
swgotz wrote:
I was wondering about how a school's yield plays into their admissions decisions. If they have an applicant that is clearly above their average stats, and shooting for higher schools, will they not extend an offer?

All top schools are very concerned about their yields, and it is rumored that many schools reject qualified applicants that use them as back-ups. Kellogg is the best example of this. Of course, Kellogg is the #1 choice for many applicants, but they have developed a reputation as a back-up to Harvard/Wharton/Stanford, and their yield numbers bear this out. Under 60% at Kellogg compared with 75-90% at the others. I have read in a number of places that it is imperative to convince them that they are your #1 choice.

This can probably be said of every school other than Harvard. As I understand it, Harvard does not ask the "why Harvard" question in their interviews. I guess it's just a given that if you want an MBA, you'd be happy to get it from Harvard - and of course they have little concern about their yield year-in and year-out. For other schools, if your qualifications put you in line for schools that they regularly lose applicants to, then it is extra-important to convince them that you will go if accepted.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
So what about there reaction that I was basically mad for not applying anywhere else?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
The premise that I'm (probably) rejected because I'm too good, while flattering, doesn't hold much water. If a school operated this way, they'd never improve their stats, rankings, etc - in fact, if anything, they'd go downhill. The reality of it is, for some reason, they probably didn't like my profile. There are a couple of possibilities - my why Cornell was a bit weak, I never did a campus visit, I did the essays in a day (so they were OK but not great) or maybe I didn't play up a certain aspect enough. There's also the simple reality that applications are a crapshoot - it's so subjective, who knows why they might pick one over another.

I suppose, looking at a calendar, its possible for me to still get an interview (the decision date is Nov 17), so I imagine the true drop dead date is something like Nov 8. However, given the timelines other people posted, I don't feel hopeful.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
When I scheduled my interview originally they were booked on Mondays/Fridays til Nov 3rd and that was quite some time ago. I wouldn't think they would have many slots left. They'd have to call you at this point and say "come on x Tuesday its the only one left." That seems rather far fetched. They say no admits without interviews. Odd.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mark4124 wrote:
When I scheduled my interview originally they were booked on Mondays/Fridays til Nov 3rd and that was quite some time ago. I wouldn't think they would have many slots left. They'd have to call you at this point and say "come on x Tuesday its the only one left." That seems rather far fetched. They say no admits without interviews. Odd.

Precisely why its clear I've been denied.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well... wasn't where you wanted to go anyway, isn't that right? Could that have been seen in your materials??

If you didn't get in do you care? Or is it just about validation?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mark4124 wrote:
Well... wasn't where you wanted to go anyway, isn't that right? Could that have been seen in your materials??

If you didn't get in do you care? Or is it just about validation?

I was interested. It wasn't my first choice, but I was interested.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
If last year's trend is any indication, Cornell does not release its acceptance letters incrementally. This means everyone will get their decision on the 17th. Again, Cornell processes their applications in order received. If you submitted your application on the last day, you shouldn't start to panick until early November. I believe the last day to interview is Nov. 10, so if you don't have an invite by then, your chances are slim.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
greenclover wrote:
If last year's trend is any indication, Cornell does not release its acceptance letters incrementally. This means everyone will get their decision on the 17th. Again, Cornell processes their applications in order received. If you submitted your application on the last day, you shouldn't start to panick until early November. I believe the last day to interview is Nov. 10, so if you don't have an invite by then, your chances are slim.

I just found this from last year - a conversation with Ann Richards, Director of admissions.

AnnRichardsCornell (Oct 11, 2005 10:59:28 AM)
johnson7 - we interview by invitation, after we've reviewed your application. If you are contacted for an interview, it's a good sign. We love to see candidates come to campus to interview, but we also conduct interviews by phone and with alumni.

Granted this is last year, but if it still holds true, there's decidely hope.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Any stats out there on percent interviewed and percent of accepted from interviewed pool?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mark4124 wrote:
Any stats out there on percent interviewed and percent of accepted from interviewed pool?

Dream on.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yale said at their alumni thing in Boston that they accept 50% ish of the interview pool.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
A little off topic - I just heard from Darden that applications for the first round are up over 80% from last year. They believe it is due to their Dean spending considerable time in Asia recruiting foreign students. However, they are waiting to see if the trend continues into the next few rounds.

Wow - I knew there would be more applicants this year but thats crazy. I am a little worried about my chances of getting into any school right now - I know everyone here is stressed at the moment - but I am definitely concerned.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'll be interested to see how it all plays out. I am really curious to see how my "atypical profile" plays.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2