Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
swgotz... I knew you were very into cornell... didn't know you already lived in Ithaca! :)

Thats interesting Ryme... I think that I would have enjoyed a student interview much better. The students have a great deal of empathy with what you are going thru, they were there themselves not so long ago. I found all of my student interactions to be great.

Does anyone know if "who you interview with" means anything at all? Is there anything that can be read into who they select for you?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
swgotz wrote:
Hey Rhyme,

When are you going to be here? There is a Wine & Tapas bar in downtown Ithaca...if you want to grab a drink let me know.

-Steve

See your PMs. I'd love to. I'm getting together with a professor at some point and he's taking precedence (no offense) but I'm going to try and do something with him Monday afternoon.

I'm being interviewed by a girl. I hope she looks like she got hit by a truck, cause the last thing I need is a cute one distracting me.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mark4124 wrote:
swgotz... I knew you were very into cornell... didn't know you already lived in Ithaca! :)

Thats interesting Ryme... I think that I would have enjoyed a student interview much better. The students have a great deal of empathy with what you are going thru, they were there themselves not so long ago. I found all of my student interactions to be great.

Does anyone know if "who you interview with" means anything at all? Is there anything that can be read into who they select for you?

Naw, I think its a simple issue of supply and demand. They have to spread the workload.

I'm happy I'm interviewing with a student, hopefully she'll be nice and wont jump across the table, scratch my face and scream into my ear "WHAT THE HECK DO YOU THINK MAKES YOU GOOD ENOUGH FOR THIS SCHOOL YOU PATHETIC EXCUSE FOR THE HUMAN CONDITION?"
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am sure ur amazing sense of humor will sail you through even in that situation. Good luck buddy.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
ak_idc wrote:
I am sure ur amazing sense of humor will sail you through even in that situation. Good luck buddy.

How to open an interview by rhyme.

Square your shoulders.
Lean forward.
Look the interviewer in the eye and ask:
"Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the communist party?"
Let the silence engulf you both.

Just kidding.

Does anyone know if the people I'm interviewing with would have read my application? That is, how much would they already know about me?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Interviews are blind. They see your resume only. Sometimes they have questions from the reviewers.

-Steve
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ya... they just had my resume... They didn't know my GMATs or anything.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
What professor are you meeting with...I assume he teaches in an area that interests you???

I met with Stu Hart a couple of weeks ago and he's one of the country's leading experts on Sustainable Base of Pyramid Development. Great guy and very passionate about the subject. He's one of the reasons I'm considering Cornell.

To answer Mark's question...I am keen on Cornell...however it wasn't the only factor in my decision to move to Ithaca. As the saying goes...."Ithaca - 10 square miles, surrounded by Reality"

Rhyme I'll shot you an email and we can try meeting up Monday night....now I just need to convince my wife I need to miss our Lamaze class!
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
It is certainly beautiful out there!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mark4124 wrote:
Ya... they just had my resume... They didn't know my GMATs or anything.

I was just thinking about this. Did you guys put your GMAT in your resume? I know it is standard practice for business students to do so when they are looking for jobs (especially consulting & banking), but do you also include it in the resume when applying to schools?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I didn't include it on resume. I feel that the GMAT is a separate component of my application, and stands separately from my resume/past experience.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I did not either. I listed my undergraduate and graduate GPAs though but I think that is standard practice for business and employment resumes.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mark4124 wrote:
I did not either. I listed my undergraduate and graduate GPAs though but I think that is standard practice for business and employment resumes.

Nor did I, though my work resume now lists it.

I've heard that if you have a high score, its worth mentioning.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
It did come up though because I said during the interview that analyst recruiters want to see more quant/systems experience from me. So the interviewer asked "should we be concerned about your quant ablities, we haven't seen your gmat score?" So I said, "I didn't do as well on the quant as I would have liked on the GMAT. But in terms of in the workplace/as a student, I think it is more of a preceptional issue than a difficulty for me. I passed the CFA Level 1 and I have never had any difficulty with 'quant in the workplace.' With the investment management experience at the Parker center, I think I can overcome that quant/systems inexperience perception." She seemed to like that and that was the end of any GMAT discussion.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
Mark4124 wrote:

For your work resume, a high score is worth mentioning, and the flip side is also true. I have been reading that about 700 is the cut-off for inclusion in most MBA job search resumes.

There seems to be a presumption that if you do not put your GMAT on your job search resume (as an MBA student looking for a job), that you scored below 700. This might not be the case at Harvard or Wharton, but if you're an MBA at say, Darden and you do not include your GMAT score on your job search resume, recruiters will assume you scored below 700; and yes most consulting firms and investment banks do seem to care - a lot.

I think for the work resume (for an MBA student) it is a given. I'm just wondering whether or not to include it in the school-use resume.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
rhyme wrote:
Mark4124 wrote:

For your work resume, a high score is worth mentioning, and the flip side is also true. I have been reading that about 700 is the cut-off for inclusion in most MBA job search resumes.

There seems to be a presumption that if you do not put your GMAT on your job search resume (as an MBA student looking for a job), that you scored below 700. This might not be the case at Harvard or Wharton, but if you're an MBA at say, Darden and you do not include your GMAT score on your job search resume, recruiters will assume you scored below 700; and yes most consulting firms and investment banks do seem to care - a lot.

I think for the work resume (for an MBA student) it is a given. I'm just wondering whether or not to include it in the school-use resume.

Why bother including it? It's clearly on the application somewhere. If you want to bring it up during the interview, you can do so rather easily.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, the obvious reason for why not to include the score is because it's readily available elsewhere in the application.

But I was thinking about why they ask for a resume in the first place, when everything else in the resume is (also) more or less available elsewhere in the application. My thought was that they wanted to have a concise reading of how employable you are, because helping you find a job is one of the key functions of a business school. And as mentioned above, GMAT score is an integral part of the MBA job search for 1/2 or more of all available jobs.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8