Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:General Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
highwyre237 wrote:
omnivorous wrote:
R1 and R2 Johnson admits, did anyone of you make to the Live Event on Funding and Financing yesterday afternoon presented by Ann? I was in a different time zone and did not catch up on it. Some notes in bullets would greatly help!

Nothing too earth shattering.

- Save money, school is expensive
- Johnson has limited funds for scholarships and loans
- Look at the budget online
- Come to school with at least 5k in hand for various expenses before loans kick in
- Did I mention, school is expensive

I could've guessed based on this URL Johnson has: https://www.johnson.cornell.edu/Full-Time-MBA/Admissions/Financial-Planning.aspx

I will say, buying an AWD car is going to be unavoidable for me - I was terrified trying to drive my Trans Am on icy roads here in Virginia earlier this year, there's no way this car makes it through an Ithaca winter. Plus the lack of cargo space is starting to be a pain in the ass. And no, I'm not actively shopping for a Subaru.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
omnivorous wrote:
R1 and R2 Johnson admits, did anyone of you make to the Live Event on Funding and Financing yesterday afternoon presented by Ann? I was in a different time zone and did not catch up on it. Some notes in bullets would greatly help!

Nothing too earth shattering.

- Save money, school is expensive
- Johnson has limited funds for scholarships and loans
- Look at the budget online
- Come to school with at least 5k in hand for various expenses before loans kick in
- Did I mention, school is expensive

I could've guessed based on this URL Johnson has: https://www.johnson.cornell.edu/Full-Time-MBA/Admissions/Financial-Planning.aspx

I will say, buying an AWD car is going to be unavoidable for me - I was terrified trying to drive my Trans Am on icy roads here in Virginia earlier this year, there's no way this car makes it through an Ithaca winter. Plus the lack of cargo space is starting to be a pain in the ass. And no, I'm not actively shopping for a Subaru.

Same here, I have a family member selling her Rav4, I may bite the bullet and deal with that for a few years. My car has a tough time in the city in the snow, I cant imagine using it in Ithaca. I was just hoping to wait a few more years before driving an suv or crossover...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
I am from upstate New York, and I will say with confidence that every single car you can imagine will be found in Ithaca. Remember that we are WAY more equipped to handle heavy snow up there. From thousands of snow plows to salting trucks, the streets will be pretty manageable all the time. It's in places like Virginia and California where snow is a catastrophic occurrence that brings everything to a screeching halt. Sure it may be wiser to have a more snow-worthy vehicle, but I grew up being shuttled around in a station wagon, an Acura, an Avalon, and a Jetta. Not exactly big cars.
Director
Director
Send PM
machichi wrote:
I am from upstate New York, and I will say with confidence that every single car you can imagine will be found in Ithaca. Remember that we are WAY more equipped to handle heavy snow up there. From thousands of snow plows to salting trucks, the streets will be pretty manageable all the time. It's in places like Virginia and California where snow is a catastrophic occurrence that brings everything to a screeching halt. Sure it may be wiser to have a more snow-worthy vehicle, but I grew up being shuttled around in a station wagon, an Acura, an Avalon, and a Jetta. Not exactly big cars.

True, but a RWD car is just an accident waiting to happen with any sort of snow/ice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: NYU (Stern) - Class of 2015
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Yeah RWD is not the way to go.

AWD isn't necessary though, a vehicle with FWD and winter tires works just as well 99% of the time.
Director
Director
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
machichi wrote:

True, but a RWD car is just an accident waiting to happen with any sort of snow/ice.

Agreed, RWD and winter dont mix. Also, I have a FWD compact that was fine in the snow in boston (going on 5 years). I just have a feeling ithaca is a different beast... Lake effect snow you say?
Intern
Intern
Daniel: Shi
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
darkdoug wrote:
Received interview invitation about 12 hours ago. International student applying for one-year AMBA program, submitted on R3 deadline.

for R3 international applicants who have got interview invitations, when did your status change from "submitted" to "under review"? Mine has remained "submitted". i'm still anxiously waiting for response.

Thx a lot!!
Director
Director
Send PM
zaffro13 wrote:
Yeah RWD is not the way to go.

AWD isn't necessary though, a vehicle with FWD and winter tires works just as well 99% of the time.

Agreed - but I figure, If I'm gonna buy an SUV type (want the cargo space since I'm going to move to school, move to internship, move back to school, move after graduation), may as well go balls out, and I think AWD will help with some of the nasty hills in Ithaca.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
mathsdaniel wrote:
darkdoug wrote:
Received interview invitation about 12 hours ago. International student applying for one-year AMBA program, submitted on R3 deadline.

for R3 international applicants who have got interview invitations, when did your status change from "submitted" to "under review"? Mine has remained "submitted". i'm still anxiously waiting for response.

Thx a lot!!

Even mine status is "Submitted" and me too waiting for response.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
machichi wrote:

I lived in Colorado for five years with a RWD sedan. On numerous occasions my car was able to get through tough mountain snowstorms better than friend's FWD vehicles...simply because I had snow tires. As long as you have the proper tires any car can handle the snow without causing an accident.

As for the talk about purchasing a specific car for the snow, I would recommend not wasting your money. It is much cheaper to buy a second set of old wheels and have winter tires mounted in them and to keep whatever car you have. Wait until after b-school to make large purchases once you have an income again. Ithaca is a small town, you honestly won't be doing enough driving to justify the purchase and you'll have buyers remorse very soon after you arrive in Ithaca.

CobraKai, an AWD car without winter cars is a sled, just keep that in mind and make sure you don't have summer tires on the car...even all season tires are no match for snow/ice unless they are the oversized knobby tires.
Director
Director
Send PM
Seen wrote:

I lived in Colorado for five years with a RWD sedan. On numerous occasions my car was able to get through tough mountain snowstorms better than friend's FWD vehicles...simply because I had snow tires. As long as you have the proper tires any car can handle the snow without causing an accident.

As for the talk about purchasing a specific car for the snow, I would recommend not wasting your money. It is much cheaper to buy a second set of old wheels and have winter tires mounted in them and to keep whatever car you have. Wait until after b-school to make large purchases once you have an income again. Ithaca is a small town, you honestly won't be doing enough driving to justify the purchase and you'll have buyers remorse very soon after you arrive in Ithaca.

CobraKai, an AWD car without winter cars is a sled, just keep that in mind and make sure you don't have summer tires on the car...even all season tires are no match for snow/ice unless they are the oversized knobby tires.

Good point about having the right tires. That doesn't change the fact that I'm short on cargo space when I go grocery shopping (buying furniture at Ikea was a real adventure) and that my car is really only useful when I'm trying to get away from Smokey.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZQ6D8A7Sn0[/youtube]
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
Seen wrote:

Good point about having the right tires. That doesn't change the fact that I'm short on cargo space when I go grocery shopping (buying furniture at Ikea was a real adventure) and that my car is really only useful when I'm trying to get away from Smokey.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZQ6D8A7Sn0[/youtube]

Please tell me you have the golden eagle on he hood! :) As awesome as that car is, if you can't even go grocery shopping then you probably are due for a change of vehicles.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
mathsdaniel wrote:
darkdoug wrote:

Thx a lot!!

I am an international R3 applicant I had an interview on Feb 27 but status is till submitted so I think that application status takes long to change.
Director
Director
Send PM
Tsikvina wrote:
mathsdaniel wrote:
darkdoug wrote:

Thx a lot!!

I am an international R3 applicant I had an interview on Feb 27 but status is till submitted so I think that application status takes long to change.

it's been stated on here a few times, but please do not take application statuses too seriously. They tend to not mean anything. Until it says Accepted, Waitlisted or Denied, I wouldn't pay much attention to it. I was "Under Review" for almost 2 months before I was invited to interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
This might be a silly question. But some applicants status is "Denied without Interview". How do they know that??
Does my application status change from "submitted" to "Denied without Interview" or should we wait till the DD, if we didn't get any response then should we fix it as our status??
Director
Director
Send PM
BMN wrote:
This might be a silly question. But some applicants status is "Denied without Interview". How do they know that??
Does my application status change from "submitted" to "Denied without Interview" or should we wait till the DD, if we didn't get any response then should we fix it as our status??

Once you are officially denied, and if you havent had an interview, you should change your status to "Denied without Interview" How would you know if you were denied prior to the school telling you?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
highwyre237 wrote:
BMN wrote:

Once you are officially denied, and if you havent had an interview, you should change your status to "Denied without Interview" How would you know if you were denied prior to the school telling you?

Some GC members prematurely update their statuses to dings if they weren't invited to interview when others were.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  60   61   62   63   64   65   66  ...  83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts