Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:56 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Technology
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey All,

I selfishly read this Cornell thread through my whole application process. Now I'm a proud new student in the class of 2015 and new member of gmat club. I know; I did it backwards.

Any others confirmed for the Welcome Weekend?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Just received my invitation to interview. Really excited about this one. Was beginning to give up hope.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
saurabhpankaj wrote:
Where you going? Must be some place really good :)
lmbe wrote:
R3 applicant. Received an interview invite this Tuesday. Decided to withdraw my appl. Good luck to all R3 candidates!

In Darden with $$. :P
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [2]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Just wanted to give a congratulatory shout-out to R2 admits who got their deposits in this week, and a good luck to R3 applicants waiting to hear back. I hope a bunch of calls go out today so you can spend Easter weekend making plans for DJ!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Got the call I am in.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 2.99
WE:Operations (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
I applied at the deadline for round 4, received an interview invitation on the 10th, held an alumni interview on the 20th, and got the acceptance call this morning. It was an incredibly fast turnaround and I'm insanely excited to have gotten in!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
I got admitted from the waitlist. So excited I got in....
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATLA,

I believe the essays questions need to be modified for 2013 questions.

https://www.johnson.cornell.edu/Full-Tim ... lines.aspx

Thanks,
Dbalks
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
There's no fast rule. As far back as you need to make the narrative better. I've seen folks start with birth and others start with undergrad and yet others with there first job. The answer is: whatever best serves your story.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
Posted from my mobile device [/quote]
by no means was I saying that it's a safety. I said it appeared to be a backup with most people applying to much higher ranked schools as well. So that if they get into the higher ranked schools they probably woudlnt go to Johnson. anyways like I said for me it's my top choice and would be thrilled to receive an interview.[/quote]

I feel you that its your top choice and I also would be thrilled to receive an interview. But I do think you are assuming a lot about the candidates on this board. For some people its all about the rankings I am sure. But a lot of people here find fit more valuable than rankings. I have been dinged by Wharton already, but if I were to get into both MIT and Cornell I would have a lot to think about.

I personally value the small class size of Cornell and the friendliness of the students. I was really overwhelmed by the students I met there. MIT also has a very strong argument to me. The professors seemed great and the students seemed to work harder than any other place I visited. There are many other factors I have in my mind for each school. If I were to just look at rankings MIT would be a slam dunk. But I might miss out on a chance to manage the Cayuga fund or the socials at Sage where I would network with classmates, or trips to NYC to network with firms. And if I were to choose Cornell, there are many things I would miss out on at MIT.

Like most candidates on this board, I only applied to schools that I truly would drop everything going on in my life and attend. There are no backups on my list. I will not quit my job for a safety school. Just because it happens to be on the lower end of the rankings with where I am applying, doesn't make it my backup. If I were to get into everywhere I apply, I would have a tough decision. But the good news is, I wont get in everywhere. I might only get into one. I might get into none. The reason I applied to Cornell is because I value its culture and program, not because I thought I could get in.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
I got an invite! I'm in the midwest. :) It came via email.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
Kudos
MIXEDin86 wrote:
Cornell Johnson just moved to #7 from #13 in the bi-annual BusinessWeek rankings. We're pretty excited around here and good things keep happening for good reasons. Good luck, prospectives. I hope to see all of you in the fall!

How's that for my 200th GMATClub post? And 1st since b-school started...

Indeed! Everyone sitting in Roni Michaely's finance class gave a great cheer when we heard the rankings!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Volunteer Experience: 24 Months Full-Time
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014

GRE 1: Q162 V160
GPA: 3.8
WE:Education (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
In response to everyones questions about expectations met/not met.
For me, Johnson has been incredible so far, I'm sure most of our classmates would agree as well. My expectations have been greatly exceeded.
Faculty is amazing and talented, the career management center is great and very well organized, Students here are very impressive (in addition to moving to 7th today in the BW rankings, we just took another first place title in a case competition today, bringing the total to 5) and down to earth, nice to hang out with.
Ithaca really grows on everyone, everyone complains about the cold or maybe the lack of nightlife, but not much else. When it comes to important b-school attributes, the city has a lot of advantages. You make really strong bonds with your classmates, and get a good amount of opportunities here and during weekend career trips to NYC.

Today started with frost on the ground, a trick finance quiz at 7:30 AM, CEO of Sprint spoke to us at lunch, a team from Cornell won the case comp this afternoon, school wide toast to our rankings this evening, then tomorrow will be a brief calm before the storm of our 48 hour long integrative case begins.
pretty eventful, but not far from a typical weekend at Cornell.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
Johnson is on a roll. Quote from a P&Q article:

Quote:
After a 17% jump in MBA applications last year when most schools reported declines, the Johnson School also had a great first round of applicants. “We almost hit record-breaking numbers in our first round,” says Sneva. “We are only a few apps shy of that.”

https://poetsandquants.com/2012/11/15/th ... anagement/
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-JQ1q-13Ek[/youtube]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
tightlines wrote:
fv113 wrote:
Seeing as decision date is almost upon us I imagine that they only chose to interview a few from round 1 and will group the rest with Round 2 and then make interview decisions. Or Johnson just got extremely selective... Either way it throws a monkey wrench in to my plans seeing as I have to accept or decline a school admission by the 20th.

Wouldn't that mean they would have to waitlist a huge group of people? Do schools normally do that? At least you have been accepted somewhere, congrats on that.

IMO while there is no hard and fast rule with respect to how many apps the adcom can waitlist in each round, I don't think that they would take such a step. The reason I say this is b/c if Johnson wait lists X% (assume 50%) of R 1 applicants and then ended up extending offerings to majority of them after/during Round 2, most of the offers may not get accepted since most R 1 students may accept another offer by that time. This will negatively effect their yield.

But in terms of why it is taking so long for them to get back, I think its a combination of 3 factors :

1. Johnson moved to a new application review system (paperless system and using ipads or something like that) and R 1 applicants are the 1st cycle of applicants being processed using this new system. I think they are having great challenges adapting to this system and facing technical issues.

2. Applicants in R 1 are up to record numbers this yr at Johnson (according to Adcom interview posted on poets & quants recently). So, I think they are having a challenge handling the increased volume. (add this point 1 and the u can imagine the situation the adcom finds itself in).

3. They probably wanted to wait until R 2 submission deadline to see the volumes and decide on the number of interview invites to send out.

Not sure if any of this makes sense but these are the conclusions I managed to arrive at after obsessing over my Johnson app over the last 15 days. :lol:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Dakells wrote:
Hey guys. A few pages back I remember someone mentioning the beatthegmat forums. I'm starting to get slightly crazy about this getting down to d-day time and am looking to fill my urge to read new posts there when I can't find any here. (Ha so sad) Anyways, I went over to that site and was totally confused by the forum setup. How do you find the forums similar to the "Calling All Applicants" forums on GMATclub? Not trying to switch to the competition, just trying to subdue my crazy!

Good luck to those of you playing the interview invite waiting game, I'm hoping this doesn't happen next round (applied round 2)!

I usually just go to the school page then click "current applicants" to see the statuses. Alternatively, there's the comment wall as well, and that's where people update that they've submitted an application, been invited to interview, accepted, etc. Hope this helps.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts