GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 Feb 2020, 07:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Cornell Tech MBA First Round Phone Interview

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Cornell Johnson
Cornell Tech MBA First Round Phone Interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2015, 16:03
I recently applied to Cornell Tech MBA and received a response that I made it to the first phone interview. Anyone have any experience with the first round phone interview? Any idea on what I might expect in terms of questions?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology
GMAT Date: 04-25-2015
GPA: 3.15
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Cornell Tech MBA First Round Phone Interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2015, 16:35
jpo645 wrote:
I recently applied to Cornell Tech MBA and received a response that I made it to the first phone interview. Anyone have any experience with the first round phone interview? Any idea on what I might expect in terms of questions?

Congrats. From what I have heard they try to make sure that you are a real techie. Asking you questions like what is the most interesting tech today. Etc. Questions that techies aka geeks would know.

Can you post your profile? Like gpa work exp and gmat?
Thanks! I'm interested in the program.
Intern
Intern
Cornell Tech MBA First Round Phone Interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2015, 17:04
Honestly, parts of my profile are terrible, which is why I've avoided posting it. My GMAT score is more than five years old and the score I received was less than 600 (I was 40/89th % verbal, a 6.0/92nd % on the writing, and a terribly-low quantitative score). A few years ago, I took the GRE on a lark (it was half-off since it was the new test). On the new GRE, I scored a 159 on the verbal (81 percentile) and 154 on the quantitative (56 percentile). I also received a 4 on the writing section (WTF? My writing is better than that). Since my GRE is still valid, that's what they can use. Nothing stellar, I admit. My GPA is a terrible 2.65. I graduated from a state school in 2009 with a double major in accounting and finance, and a minor in computer science. I have a bit of a medical excuse for my grades (you can see the decline if you follow my transcript), although I hate using that sob story. Let's be honest: I really could have tried harder, too.

Ok, all that being said, I have the following going for me:
- I worked for a well respected consulting company for many years before joining a startup--and then starting my own company about a year ago.
- As part of my work for that company, I developed a tool that was used by NATO. I traveled to Afghanistan to present it.
- A study I co-authored was used in congress to analyze changes to flight rules. It was cited by AP and Bloomberg BusinessWeek. It also appears in a defense bill. (Although, between you and I, they misconstrued the results ... :/)
- I'm fairly well recognized among advanced Excel users in the management science and financial space for my blog and books. I'm a Microsoft MVP in Excel; an award by Microsoft for my expertise in their product line and devotion to the community.
- I've written a book on Excel development through a major publisher. I have another coming out fairly soon.
- I started a video-series web community around Excel that's grown significantly over the past year.
- I've written about analytics and data visualization for trade publications. Despite by low quant scores, I actually do some fairly heavy data science as part of of my company. I've done well in big data competitions. I really do wish these skills would come out when taking these tests, but they just never do (probably because I've never studied for these tests though I should have).
- I do conference talks around the country on using Excel for advanced analytics (anything to keep people from spending money on huge big vendor products they don't need!) and data-driven decision making. I've done training for the Pentagon, universities, and the financial times.
- I've been cited in by tech publications like Dice News and Tech Times.

So I'm sailing on my work experience here. Hopefully, what I've done since graduating will be enough to overcome my terrible academic performance and mediocre testing scores. To be honest, I think what they have is a very interesting and unique opportunity. But I hadn't even heard of it before last Thursday. I saw an ad for it on LinkedIn and appreciated how quickly I was able to complete the application. I've been kicking around grad school for so long, but I don't think I found a program that really spoke to me the way this one has. Even if I don't get in, hopefully other schools will follow suit for when I'm ready to reapply.

Oh yeah -- I'm a white male, age 29.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2015, 18:27
jpo645 wrote:

It's a 20 mins Q&A style interview. You got to answer a couple of questions like your personal strength, tools/services you used in your everyday job, technologies that you think gonna make a impact in the future, and of course, why Cornell Tech. Then you have the chance to ask a few questions if there is still time left.

Hope that helps and good luck!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology
GMAT Date: 04-25-2015
GPA: 3.15
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 06:01
jpo645 wrote:
Honestly, parts of my profile are terrible, which is why I've avoided posting it. My GMAT score is more than five years old and the score I received was less than 600 (I was 40/89th % verbal, a 6.0/92nd % on the writing, and a terribly-low quantitative score). A few years ago, I took the GRE on a lark (it was half-off since it was the new test). On the new GRE, I scored a 159 on the verbal (81 percentile) and 154 on the quantitative (56 percentile). I also received a 4 on the writing section (WTF? My writing is better than that). Since my GRE is still valid, that's what they can use. Nothing stellar, I admit. My GPA is a terrible 2.65. I graduated from a state school in 2009 with a double major in accounting and finance, and a minor in computer science. I have a bit of a medical excuse for my grades (you can see the decline if you follow my transcript), although I hate using that sob story. Let's be honest: I really could have tried harder, too.

Ok, all that being said, I have the following going for me:
- I worked for a well respected consulting company for many years before joining a startup--and then starting my own company about a year ago.
- As part of my work for that company, I developed a tool that was used by NATO. I traveled to Afghanistan to present it.
- A study I co-authored was used in congress to analyze changes to flight rules. It was cited by AP and Bloomberg BusinessWeek. It also appears in a defense bill. (Although, between you and I, they misconstrued the results ... :/)
- I'm fairly well recognized among advanced Excel users in the management science and financial space for my blog and books. I'm a Microsoft MVP in Excel; an award by Microsoft for my expertise in their product line and devotion to the community.
- I've written a book on Excel development through a major publisher. I have another coming out fairly soon.
- I started a video-series web community around Excel that's grown significantly over the past year.
- I've written about analytics and data visualization for trade publications. Despite by low quant scores, I actually do some fairly heavy data science as part of of my company. I've done well in big data competitions. I really do wish these skills would come out when taking these tests, but they just never do (probably because I've never studied for these tests though I should have).
- I do conference talks around the country on using Excel for advanced analytics (anything to keep people from spending money on huge big vendor products they don't need!) and data-driven decision making. I've done training for the Pentagon, universities, and the financial times.
- I've been cited in by tech publications like Dice News and Tech Times.

So I'm sailing on my work experience here. Hopefully, what I've done since graduating will be enough to overcome my terrible academic performance and mediocre testing scores. To be honest, I think what they have is a very interesting and unique opportunity. But I hadn't even heard of it before last Thursday. I saw an ad for it on LinkedIn and appreciated how quickly I was able to complete the application. I've been kicking around grad school for so long, but I don't think I found a program that really spoke to me the way this one has. Even if I don't get in, hopefully other schools will follow suit for when I'm ready to reapply.

Oh yeah -- I'm a white male, age 29.

That is a pretty crazy story. I am sure you will get in!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 13:45
Hi jpo645, I just submitted my application for the program, and was curious to know if you've heard back about the second round interview (i'm assuming you got through the first round). If so, are you doing on-campus? Only asking because I'm from India. Any advice would be appreciated.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 15:34
karanbir88 wrote:
Hi jpo645, I just submitted my application for the program, and was curious to know if you've heard back about the second round interview (i'm assuming you got through the first round). If so, are you doing on-campus? Only asking because I'm from India. Any advice would be appreciated.

I actually have neither the time nor the money to go to NYC within the time frame they asked for the second interview. At first they said there would be no exceptions, but then followed up a short time later with times for a Skype interview. So now we're doing Skype for the second interview.

Despite the online instructions that said they would contact you within 24 hours to let you know if you made it past the first interview, it took two nudges from me before I received a response. If you can get your nerve up, feel free to bug them a bit. After all, you did pay an application fee to apply. You're well within your rights to be a little proddy about getting a response.

I will say, it only took two days after I sent in my application for them to send me a message that I was selected for the first round interview. Check your application messages for status updates.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Cornell Tech MBA First Round Phone Interview   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2015, 15:34

Cornell Tech MBA First Round Phone Interview

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: vinayakvaish, chanjaso