GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2019, 22:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Sep 2010
Posts: 53
Location: Pune, India
Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Nov 2018, 03:29
7
1
45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (01:35) correct 55% (01:41) wrong based on 2067 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.


(A) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses

(B) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of heart, is now administered selectively, because of using

(C) for diagnosing coronary disease, involves the introduction of dye into the arteries of the heart and is now administered selectively, because it uses

(D) to diagnose coronary disease that involves the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses

(E) to diagnose coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, which is now administered selectively, uses


Please explain me why the answer "C" is preferred over "D"?

PS.before posting this Q,I looked at below mentioned url but 227 Q was not there.
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1-1000sc-100- ... 85402.html

Originally posted by SoniaSaini on 01 Feb 2011, 10:09.
Last edited by Bunuel on 16 Nov 2018, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2011
Posts: 300
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2012, 17:19
12
8
The correct idiom is 'method for diagnosing'. Eliminate (D), (E). The subject 'coronary angiography' is interrupted by the phrase, 'a sophisticated...'. As soon as that parenthetical phrase ends we need a verb that goes together with the subject. Only 'involves' does this. Therefore (C).

Hope that helps!
_________________
Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2012
Posts: 26
Location: Venezuela
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.07
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2012, 15:07
12
6
@maybeam

regarding your question
when speaking in manners of procedures or a way to do something (using the word method), use "method for".
But when speaking in manners of using a certain method to find out or conclude something, use "method to".
Eg. Use the negating method to weaken the arguments conclusion.

Using the explanation above there is only one answer choice that stands out:
C) Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease, involves the introduction of dye into the arteries of the heart and is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function. Correct structure.

Anwser choice D might be confusing at first but the use of "that" incorrectly modifies disease.
Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method to diagnose coronary disease that involves the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.

Hope this helps!

PS: i find it very helpful that you keep posting all this questions in forum, for discussion, etc. Kudos to you @maybeam!
General Discussion
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 705
Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2014, 01:53
6
3
Prominent misplaced modifier error in wrong choices: modifier is modifying diseases instead of angiography
Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.
(A) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses
(B) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of heart, is now administered selectively, because of using
(C) for diagnosing coronary disease, involves the introduction of dye into the arteries of the heart and is now administered selectively, because it uses
(D) to diagnose coronary disease that involves the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses
(E) to diagnose coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, which is now administered selectively, uses
_________________
Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2011
Posts: 57
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2012, 00:51
3
maybeam wrote:
227. Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.
(A) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses
(B) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of heart, is now administered selectively, because of using
(C) for diagnosing coronary disease, involves the introduction of dye into the arteries of the heart and is now administered selectively, because it uses
(D) to diagnose coronary disease that involves the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses
(E) to diagnose coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, which is now administered selectively, uses


I agree that its the angiography that involves the introduction of the dye and not the diesase.
But is the usage
Quote:
method for
a correct usage.

I was confused b/w the forms

method for and method to

and choosed method to as right, though it turned out to be wrong. Can somebody help me on this?
_________________
Please press Kudos if you found this post helpful
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2010
Posts: 142
Location: Toronto
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2011, 15:01
2
SoniaSaini wrote:
Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.

(A) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses
(B) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of heart, is now administered selectively, because of using
(C) for diagnosing coronary disease, involves the introduction of dye into the arteries of the heart and is now administered selectively, because it uses
(D) to diagnose coronary disease that involves the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses
(E) to diagnose coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, which is now administered selectively, uses

Please explain me why the answer "C" is preferred over "D"?

PS.before posting this Q,I looked at below mentioned url but 227 Q was not there.
1-1000sc-100-brutal-q-explanations-2-level-of-question-85402.html


Hi!

When you see lots of clauses and phrases, think modification.

The problem with D is the phrase "that involves the introduction of dye"; since that phrase immediately follows "coronary disease", that's what it modifies. However, that doesn't make any sense; we want that phrase to modify "coronary angiography".

In C, we have a comma after disease, turning that whole clause into a parenthetical comment that we can ignore when evaluating the sentence. So, C actually reads:

Quote:
Coronary angiography, blah blah blah, involves the introduction of dye...


which is exactly what we want.
Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Posts: 211
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Reviews Badge
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2015, 01:02
1
1
brs1cob wrote:
i have still confusion between A and C. i found A grammatically correct but it is wrong meaning wise as it says "disease involves introduction of dye ..". but in C, there is something wrong with "and is". can anyone please explain the difference between A and C.

although i selected A, now i realize that A is wrong meaning wise.

C is correct.
CA,..., involves...., and is administered...


brs1cob

Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.

Here the present participle "involving" modifies the immediately preceding noun disease. But disease doesn't involve the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart but rather the method involves that. Therefore A is wrong.

C correctly describes the method by saying two things using parallel predicates: invoves... and is administered...

Hope it helps
_________________
Consider KUDOS if my post helped :)

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: enjoying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 5178
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2019, 03:11
1
Top Contributor
btrg wrote

Quote:
Will "it" (underlined abv) refer to the preceeding noun, if any, like heart in this case ? Becoz i want to confirm my understanding that the modifiers seperated by commas do not modify the actual statement i.e Coronary angiography uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.

The basic tenet is that a pronoun should refer back to an eligible noun, whether is the near one or the farther one. Eligible means something that makes normal sense, not inappropriate meaning. The tenet also says that these pronouns normally fall back on the subject as the first choice but not necessarily. Supposing in this case, if the sentence happened to be, let us say, 'The doctor clarified that CA involves pumping a dye into the heart and therefore it is used selectively', then it cannot refer to the Doctor since we do not use 'it' for a Doctor.

Nor can we use it to refer to the disease or the heart, because neither a disease nor a heart can ever use x-rays. CA-only uses x-rays.

However, to your query about ' modifiers separated by commas' let me say that it should not confuse between a modifier and a pronoun. 'Because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function' is a subordinate clause and not a modifier. The 'it' you have underlined is not a relative pronoun either such as 'comma+ which' or ' that', which have an obligation to refer to the nearest
Noun. That is the reason they are called relative pronouns.

You might also note that modifiers separated by comma +verb+ing (Ex: Tom always strived hard to some be admitted to the Wharton, dreaming about the mouth-watering placements he could get in the campus interviews.) modify the entire statement before which involves a doer and the doer's action.

You may perhaps like to clarify what you wish to convey by your idea that the modifiers separated by commas do not modify the actual statement.

Thanks.
_________________
Are you stuck around 630? If you can't pole-vault above 630, spare 30 hours and you can fly on top.
"Winners never quit and quitters never win". (+919884544509)
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 149
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2015, 00:29
i have still confusion between A and C. i found A grammatically correct but it is wrong meaning wise as it says "disease involves introduction of dye ..". but in C, there is something wrong with "and is". can anyone please explain the difference between A and C.

although i selected A, now i realize that A is wrong meaning wise.

C is correct.
CA,..., involves...., and is administered...
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 20 Sep 2016
Posts: 640
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.95
WE: Operations (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2018, 03:49
Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.

meaning : CA is a sophisticated method. CA involves bla bla.
CA is NOW administered selectively. Why administered selectively?? because CA uses X-rays to observe....
( Here the reason provided is only for "now administered selectively " and not why it involves dye ,,)


(C) for diagnosing coronary disease, involves the introduction of dye into the arteries of the heart and is now administered selectively, because it uses
- meaning : CA involves the intro of dye... and is now administered selectively. why?? (Here "because " is providing a reason for the entire clause " involves and administered) . I disagree with this answer choice.

We have to choose best answer which makes sense. . Here structurally provoding a reaon for "involves" is not right.

I disagree with the OA .
P.S. I agree that rest all are grammatically incorrect but even C is logically at fault.
ChrisLele @mikemcagrayy DmitryFarber GMATNinja chetan2u daagh
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 15 Feb 2017
Posts: 298
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 03:20
[quote="SoniaSaini"]Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.


(A) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses( involving is modifying disease,not correct)

(B) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of heart, is now administered selectively, because of using(same as in A,no subject in clause)

(C) for diagnosing coronary disease, involves the introduction of dye into the arteries of the heart and is now administered selectively, because it uses(prepositional phrase correctly modifies C. Angiography,involves an action verb correctly describes the C.angiography)

(D) to diagnose coronary disease that involves the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses( that modifies disease illogically,it is not disease that involves rather it is CA)

(E) to diagnose coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, which is now administered selectively, uses(involving is incorrectly modifying disease,which is incorrectly modifying heart)

Would go with choice C

Thanks
_________________
IMPOSSIBLE IS JUST AN OPINION
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Sep 2018
Posts: 7
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 05:21
Hello,

Greetings for the day!

Can anybody please explain the usage of "method to" and "method for" ?

Thanks in anticipation!

Best,
Kunal
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 May 2018
Posts: 36
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V42
Reviews Badge
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2018, 23:08
SoniaSaini wrote:
Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.


(A) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses

(B) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of heart, is now administered selectively, because of using

(C) for diagnosing coronary disease, involves the introduction of dye into the arteries of the heart and is now administered selectively, because it uses

(D) to diagnose coronary disease that involves the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses

(E) to diagnose coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, which is now administered selectively, uses


Please explain me why the answer "C" is preferred over "D"?

PS.before posting this Q,I looked at below mentioned url but 227 Q was not there.
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1-1000sc-100- ... 85402.html




Angiography, and not disease, involves "introduction of dye". Hence, for the correct meaning, "involves" must refer to "angiography".
Only C does that correctly.
C.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jul 2018
Posts: 18
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 02:42
Hi,

can anybody tell me why the "dye" in C is correct? should it not be "a dye"?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: enjoying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 5178
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 06:15
Top Contributor
KUNAL

As far as I see, outside American English, I am not sure whether there is any difference between 'method for' and 'method to'. While 'method to', 'method of', 'method in' are described by many dictionaries, they have completely ignored 'method for'.
The Free dictionary even says that the phrase 'method for diagnosing' is not found in the Dictionary and Encyclopedia.

I would wait for someone to cite a dictionary link that describes the difference. Nevertheless, I still take Chris Lee's reasoning that method for diagnosing is the correct idiom as he ought to know better.

In addition, is it at least there in any of the idioms list flashed by the Gmat training companies?

Therefore, this question has to be decided on other merits than on idioms, I believe.
_________________
Are you stuck around 630? If you can't pole-vault above 630, spare 30 hours and you can fly on top.
"Winners never quit and quitters never win". (+919884544509)
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Apr 2018
Posts: 101
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GPA: 3.8
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 08:53
SoniaSaini wrote:
Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.


(A) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses

(B) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of heart, is now administered selectively, because of using

(C) for diagnosing coronary disease, involves the introduction of dye into the arteries of the heart and is now administered selectively, because it uses

(D) to diagnose coronary disease that involves the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses

(E) to diagnose coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, which is now administered selectively, uses

I have read in some books that "that " is not as strict as "which" and need not be close to the subject that it modifies. Option D structure is much better than option C, which uses an "and" in the sentence.
Please explain me why the answer "C" is preferred over "D"?

PS.before posting this Q,I looked at below mentioned url but 227 Q was not there.
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1-1000sc-100- ... 85402.html
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Apr 2018
Posts: 41
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Reviews Badge
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2019, 05:26
D and E can be eliminated right off since the correct idiom is ‘method for diagnosing’. Out of the remaining options, only C has the correct form of ‘involve’, so C is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Apr 2018
Posts: 41
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Reviews Badge
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2019, 05:28
D and E can be eliminated right off since the correct idiom is ‘method for diagnosing’. Out of the remaining options, only C has the correct form of ‘involve’, so C is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 31 Oct 2018
Posts: 77
Location: India
Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2019, 00:43
I go with C, but I have a question . i.e the stmt like

Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease, involves the introduction of dye into the arteries of the heart and is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.


Will "it" (underlined abv) refer to the preceeding noun, if any, like heart in this case ? Becoz i want to confirm my understanding that the modifiers seperated by commas do not modify the actual statement i.e Coronary angiography uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.
_________________
Happy to receive feedback on my post. Please give kudos if you find my content interesting.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Status: As cheeks from my insta feed say: soon...
Joined: 17 Jan 2016
Posts: 53
CAT Tests
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2019, 21:35
SoniaSaini wrote:
Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses x-rays to observe cardiac function.


(A) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses

(B) for diagnosing coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of heart, is now administered selectively, because of using

(C) for diagnosing coronary disease, involves the introduction of dye into the arteries of the heart and is now administered selectively, because it uses

(D) to diagnose coronary disease that involves the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, is now administered selectively, because it uses

(E) to diagnose coronary disease involving the introduction of a dye into the arteries of the heart, which is now administered selectively, uses


Please explain me why the answer "C" is preferred over "D"?

PS.before posting this Q,I looked at below mentioned url but 227 Q was not there.
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1-1000sc-100- ... 85402.html


ChrisLele, mikemcgarry, daagh
Please help

If the modifier were :"method involving the introduction", would we need a comma before involving?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2019, 21:35
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne