Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Could anyone evaluate my profile for MIT Msc Finance? [#permalink]
MSFHQ wrote:
McMaster is a good school and MIT admissions will know about it. GPA is strong and you have decent quant classes (although you might need to take one or two classes to meet the qualifications for MIT - they have a bootcamp that could satisfy this).

GMAT is going to be what is important though. I would say 700ish and you start being competitive, with it increasing as your score increases.

MIT might like you as you have a different background than what they usual get applying to their program.

Focus on the GMAT and make sure you get strong letters of recommendation from your professors. Good luck.

Hey, thanks for the evaluation. My target for GMAT was ~730 - do you think that would give me a good shot at MIT?

Also, how would my profile fare at other Msc Finance programs, specifically Princeton and LSE? I've heard Princeton is the most competitive/selective of all finance programs so I'm a little doubtful whether or not I would stand a chance. Much thanks :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MSFHQ wrote:
daftypatty wrote:
MSFHQ wrote:
McMaster is a good school and MIT admissions will know about it. GPA is strong and you have decent quant classes (although you might need to take one or two classes to meet the qualifications for MIT - they have a bootcamp that could satisfy this).

GMAT is going to be what is important though. I would say 700ish and you start being competitive, with it increasing as your score increases.

MIT might like you as you have a different background than what they usual get applying to their program.

Focus on the GMAT and make sure you get strong letters of recommendation from your professors. Good luck.

Hey, thanks for the evaluation. My target for GMAT was ~730 - do you think that would give me a good shot at MIT?

Also, how would my profile fare at other Msc Finance programs, specifically Princeton and LSE? I've heard Princeton is the most competitive/selective of all finance programs so I'm a little doubtful whether or not I would stand a chance. Much thanks :)

730 would put you in the range with MIT. You will definitely be a competitive applicant.

Princeton is a different beast. Honestly, they seem to want people with wall street experience who want a quantitative degree from an IVY vs. an MBA. Take a look at their profile and resumes to get a feel.

LSE - all day. Any of their MSc programs you should not only be competitive in, but get into.

Thank you, I will work really hard for my GMAT in that case. I'm planning to sit down for a November date - this won't affect my application for MIT since their apps are due in January, but it means that for schools like LSE and LBS, I will be applying for the 3rd round. Would this put me at a significant disadvantage for LSE & LBS? For LSE, I am considering applying to Msc Finance and Msc Management & Strategy ; for LBS, I am considering applying to MiM.

Are there are other top tier school programs you would recommend based on my profile?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
Overall, your profile has quite some positive points-
Considering that you are targeting an MFin course, your courses (Economics & accounting) as well as your experience as an equity analyst come in handy.
Your GPA and work-experience are pretty impressive, and being an international student does give you some leverage.
Schools are keen on having a level of diversity in their class profiles, hence your bio-medical background acts as a differentiator for you.
However ,MSc in Finance courses are extremely competitive programs and hence your lack of a financial/quantitative background may turn out to be a challenge.
To prove yourself as a competitive candidate, you have to create a really strong pitch through your essay about
-Why do you want to switch to finance?
-What are your short term goals?
-How will the MSc.Finance take you closer to your short term goals?
With a 720+ GMAT score, you should have a good shot at some of the Top 20 B-Schools.
As far as MIT’s MSc in Finance program is concerned, you should know that it is one of the most sought-out B-Schools and has a paper thin acceptance rate.
So, make sure you have a very strong application to compete with thousands of MIT applicants.

If you feel you need help regarding the same, check out our Masters in Finance Essay editing services here: https://www.mim-essay.com/masters-finance-essay-editing/
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts