GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2019, 15:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Council member: I recommend that the abandoned shoe factory be used

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Status: PhD-trained. Education, Research, Teaching, Training, Consulting and Advisory Services
CAT Tests
Council member: I recommend that the abandoned shoe factory be used  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2019, 10:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (01:25) correct 41% (01:19) wrong based on 127 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Council member: I recommend that the abandoned shoe factory be used as a municipal emergency shelter. Some council members assert that the courthouse would be a better shelter site, but they have provided no evidence of this. Thus, the shoe factory would be a better shelter site.

A questionable technique used in the council member’s argument is that of

(A) asserting that a lack of evidence against a view is proof that the view is correct

(B) accepting a claim simply because advocates of an opposing claim have not adequately defended their view

(C) attacking the proponents of the courthouse rather than addressing their argument

(D) attempting to persuade its audience by appealing to their fear

(E) attacking an argument that is not held by any actual council member
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Council member: I recommend that the abandoned shoe factory be used  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2019, 14:34
A and B seem close. The Rest of the options are irrelevant.

On closer look, A is saying the opposite. Author doesn’t say council members are right.

B is the correc option ImO

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: Council member: I recommend that the abandoned shoe factory be used  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2019, 03:47
Hovkial wrote:
Council member: I recommend that the abandoned shoe factory be used as a municipal emergency shelter. Some council members assert that the courthouse would be a better shelter site, but they have provided no evidence of this. Thus, the shoe factory would be a better shelter site.

A questionable technique used in the council member’s argument is that of

(A) asserting that a lack of evidence against a view is proof that the view is correct

(B) accepting a claim simply because advocates of an opposing claim have not adequately defended their view

(C) attacking the proponents of the courthouse rather than addressing their argument

(D) attempting to persuade its audience by appealing to their fear

(E) attacking an argument that is not held by any actual council member

A is not correct because of "lack of evidence" in the argument it is mentioned "they have provided no evidence of this"
there is the evidence but they have not provided it
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.3
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2019, 21:50
CDE are irrelevant because of providing assertions which are out of the scope.
A and B seems closer, If you go closer then A is claiming the opposite of council member statement.
So B is the correct one.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Council member: I recommend that the abandoned shoe factory be used   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2019, 21:50

Council member: I recommend that the abandoned shoe factory be used

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics