Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Re: Countdown begins!! [#permalink]
I am not looking for an action plan every step of the way!!Sorry if you guys felt so!Just sharing my last preparation days with people who go thru the same thing and seeing if anybody has valuable action plans that I can implement..People here have been so so helpful that it's been unbelievable!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
So after yest. I felt like diving under the covers and coming out directly AFTER G-Day..Since this cannot happen in the real world I decided to make the best use of the remaining days.
I plan on taking two more CAT's..Gprep..before the final exam..The next 4-5 days I plan on attacking the top 5 topics of quant and SC.Targeted practice:)CR will be doing it from LSAT.After that one Test will follow.
Lets see how it goes!
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
tejal777 wrote:
@Economist:If you do a search inthe forum you will read that the experts DO NOT recommend taking the tests in the last 3 days..I figure they know better than us!!So gonna stick to that.

i took 2 tests during the last 3 days, including one the day before d-day. of course, i may be in the minority, but i think taking tests in the few days before the exam will help refine the timing that's necessary on d-day. (i.e. not working too fast and finishing with 8 mins left in the section, and also not working too slow and running out of time).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1825 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q49  V29
Send PM
MGMAT Score of 640 is NOT that bad of a score. (Considering the fact that MGMAT Quant is way tougher than GMAT,I would target for 45 + in MGMAT Cat. ) I cannot specifically comment on Verbal but for sure, MGMAT CATS are pretty decent for practice.

Looks like DS and the SC are the weak areas for now. Good thing is that, these two sections are definitely improvable. In DS, analyze why you selected the incorrect answer and what is missing that that you overlooked before selecting the ans. This can help you NOT to repeat the same mistake.

For SC, unless the question is in 700+ level, there are atleast 2 or more errors per ans choice. Probably you can might have eliminated an ans because of one error that you are aware of. But there might be other errors becuase of which you can eliminate the same ans choice. Try to figure out as many reasons why an ans choice can be eliminated. This will help you a lot in easily eliminating the wrong ans choice.

Good luck with your preparation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Thanks a ton for the encouragement and advice mrsmarthi! Appreciated :) Working on SC and DS before I take my next test in a day or two..will keep you guys updated!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Did an important assessment today...

So the last three days I have been concentrating mainly on SC and DS..the work rate was going average and I was'nt too happy with it..So today I took up an unfinished mgmat cat..ONLY the verbal section was left so I decided to try doing that..(Did it in sleep deprived state to get atleast a bit close to the real thing..)
Analysis:
Q44(really doe'snt matter I don't even remeber when had taken it)V35 Total 650.

V35: SC 8/15 CR 10/14 RC 6/6

For reference the last mgmat full length test taken 5 days back,score was
640(Q43 V34)
PS 15/22 DS 5/15 Sc 5/15 CR 9/14 RC 8/12

This shows that when in a full length test my verbal score is NOT dropping.

Now that's both good news and bad news..please people send in your suggestions as to what should be my next step.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
~~Trying to understand~~
Is it just me?Are'nt people supposed to be all charged up a couple of days before the exam??Then why do I feel like not touching the books..why am I wasting my time (third in a row)when I know that if I waste these last few days everything will go in vain?Is this a burnout?How can it be when I have hardly been studying the last few days?Then I must face the fact that indeed I am de-motivated..Have'nt the amazing people in this forum repetedly told not to take the Test scores to heart?...why oh why..
Sorry for the off-topic guys I just needed to vent out a bit..I'll go listen to a couple of mood-elevating songs..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 773 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q50  V35
Send PM
I guess you are trying to follow a VERY strict schedule. This is the first thing anybody should try to AVOID. We humans are naturally reluctant to any kind of binding. Try to relax and try not to stress hard. If you know you are weak at something, just concentrate on it, as much as you can. Also DO NOT study for more than 90 mins in a stretch. Take at least 15-30 mins break between two sessions. Your brain needs some time to relax and digest whatever it has learned.

:sleeping:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V29
Send PM
tejal777 wrote:
~~Trying to understand~~
Is it just me?Are'nt people supposed to be all charged up a couple of days before the exam??Then why do I feel like not touching the books..why am I wasting my time (third in a row)when I know that if I waste these last few days everything will go in vain?Is this a burnout?How can it be when I have hardly been studying the last few days?Then I must face the fact that indeed I am de-motivated..Have'nt the amazing people in this forum repetedly told not to take the Test scores to heart?...why oh why..
Sorry for the off-topic guys I just needed to vent out a bit..I'll go listen to a couple of mood-elevating songs..

This was exactly how I was feeling when I booked my date and as the date was fast approaching. I think it really is a matter of stress....thinking...Am I ready.....Will I meet my target score....what if I don't......that might be keeping you in the position you are. I know that all these are really stupid questions to think about but unfortunately for some of us it is difficult NOT to think about also. :(

I don't know if it really helps out or not....BUT do NOT think too much that the exam date is fast approaching and I am NOT studying.....On doing this, you are in fact spending too much time studying than either relaxing or concentrating on your weak areas. I know that this is easily said than done. :wink: So until 2 days before the exam, ignore the fact that the exam day is fast approaching....rather select couple of topics that you are week, and go thru the exercises to learn more on solving the questions under these topics.

Good luck with your preparation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Gave my GMATprep 2(retake) 660 V35 Q45
PS 12/20 DS 10/17 SC 7/9 CR 13/19 RC 9/13
Yes people..I am STILL there..there is absolutly no change and it feels like I am stuck in a rut..Really need some advice now as to how to get over this hurdle..

Pt1: My Quant was actually terrible this session.Clearly I have been ignoring it the past few days.

Pt2:The long hours spent on Sc day after day is not helping me RAISE my score but to keep it constant.. :(

Pt3;I would consider postponing my exam,but my deadline is November end(Have a trip in dec so want to get it done before that)So even If i postpone i'll get just 15 days..not sure if it will make a difference.

There are so many of you out there..Did somebody face this..being stuck at the same score no matter what?It seems I am spending my day pulling this heavy cart which just refuses to budge!!Grr..!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hey Tejal,

I am in your boat, so got compelled to reply your thread.

My scores so far

MGMAT1 : 650
KAPLAN1: 540,with AWA
MGMAT2 : 640
KAPLAN2: 570
MGMAT3: 670 , with AWA
GMATPREP1 : 670 , with AWA

I have 3 more MGMAT tests and 1 more GMATPREP to go before NOV 20th. yes thats the D-day at 8:00AM.

What I am doing.. I took and planning to take all the exams under test conditions. Planning not to skip AWA for the rest of the tests. yes reserved sunday morning for the exams 8 - 12 .

Just chill give it a shot because the more you extend the more the possibility to miss the groove,thats what i feel. Come up with a planB what if you dont reach the score that will give you confidance.

I am just revising my material and giving exams and trying to take printouts of what went wrong. Thats all I plan to do the next 20 days too...

You need to calm down and base your trust on the numbers of the practise exams ,after all you dint get them without nothing right..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V29
Send PM
tejal777 wrote:
Gave my GMATprep 2(retake) 660 V35 Q45
PS 12/20 DS 10/17 SC 7/9 CR 13/19 RC 9/13
Yes people..I am STILL there..there is absolutly no change and it feels like I am stuck in a rut..Really need some advice now as to how to get over this hurdle..

Pt1: My Quant was actually terrible this session.Clearly I have been ignoring it the past few days.

Pt2:The long hours spent on Sc day after day is not helping me RAISE my score but to keep it constant.. :(

Pt3;I would consider postponing my exam,but my deadline is November end(Have a trip in dec so want to get it done before that)So even If i postpone i'll get just 15 days..not sure if it will make a difference.

There are so many of you out there..Did somebody face this..being stuck at the same score no matter what?It seems I am spending my day pulling this heavy cart which just refuses to budge!!Grr..!!

660 was exactly the score that I got in my GMATPrep2 which I took a 8 days before my scheduled date. I was completely shtattered and lost my confidence thinking that I was NOT ready to fight the beast yet. So unwillingly I postponed my exam. This happened when my initial date was Oct 12. But because I was still having time, I took the decision of postponing the exam. Planning to take over the beast in the next couple of days. One thing that I experience is GMATPrep 1 is little easier when compared to GMATPrep2. Now when compared to real exam, how GMATPrep 2 is rated, I cannot comment on that. And infact 660 is NOT that bad of a score. But it may matter when you are targetting really really high. I think this is enough of Bhashan. :)

Ok Now coming to your score, I see that PS,DS and SC(I think you swiped your SC with CR) are relatively weak. One good take away from this is that all these 3 sections are definitely improvable. If you have to score 700+, I think it is a safe bet to have Quant atleast at 49. And Verbal atleast at 37.

Here are some things you can watch out -(I know that it is very easy to advice BUT very difficult to implement. BTW, these are the mistakes that I have done and now I am trying to correct them. Hope to see a happy ending)

1. How is your timing w.r.t to both the sections. Are you following any timing strategy to help yourself w.r.t time. Are you taking any pressure when you see that you are behind the timing? Solution for this is - try to follow some time strategy and do NOT take too much pressure when you see that you are little off the timing. Rather try concentrate on the problem and get the solution quickly.

2. Did you do any GMATClub quant tests? They say that they are very good. I do agree to that but my opionin is that They do not have questions on par with GMATprep but deinitely have tricks that are frequently asked in GMATPrep. So in case you have NOT started these tests, I would definitely suggest to start taking them. This will help you in improving your DS skills.

3. All you need is roughly 4 more points either in Quant or Verbal so that atleast you reach the magical number. And I know you have around 11 days from now. So think which one can you spend more time that will reap sweet fruits. Say in quant, if it is the careless mistakes that you are doing, then GMATClub tests are the solution. If in verbal, SC is your weak area, then working on OG and for each question, cross verify the point in MGMAT SC book to get an ever better explanation on how the question can be attempted.

4. One common mistake that I do is that, when ever I am stuck between two ans choice, I really spend lot more time to pick the ans. But then if you are NOT so confident, there is no guarentee that the ans I pick is ging to be right. But still I end up spending a lot. And guess what......this leads to a rippling effect on the later questions becuase I am trying the squeeze the time out of the relatively easy questions on to this doubtful question. I finally end up having my supposedly easy question turn to a much harder one. So I would suggest, when ever you have 2 ans and you are NOT confident enough which one to pick, go buy your favourite number (1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5) and move on. Atleast this way, the supposedly easy question will remain easy.

5. Since your GMATPrep score is NOT upto your expectation, I would suggest you take the Prep exams, probably one day quant and the next day verbal so that you improve on our timing and also come to know what type of mistakes you are doing. Also it is very very imp to review the questions that you have completed on the same day becuase, your mind set is fresh with the information on how you sovled the question and in case if the question happens to be wrong, then you know what mistake you made that led to a wrong ans. This will help you in correcting your mistake. There is no point in attempting the questions one one day, and then reviewing them couple of days later. You might forget how you solved the question and there will not be any learnings from your mistakes that you made.

6. One last thing, DO NOT EVER THINK that your GMATPrep score is NOT on par with your expected score. This will hinder your performance very very badly(My personal experience). Start attempting the GMATPreps with an intention of learning from your mistakes BUT NOT to see 700+ score. Seeing a 700+ score in GMATPrep will NOT guarentee the similar result in actual one. But if you learn from mistakes and NOT repeat them in the real one, atleast it will contribute a little to your 700+ number in the real GMAT. Ultimately how cool and how confident will you be on your D-day i what will ONLY matter.

See if any of these tips will help you better. Phew.....such a lengthy advice......See how easy it is to advice someone who in the water trying to swim out when you are on the shore. :lol:

Hope to see a happy ending. :gl
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi Tejal,

The only thing I will recommend is take a break, relax...then review your mistakes. By reviewing, I do not mean just figure out what the right answer was, but drill down and see what was your reasoning process and where the error was. For example, I did the gmatprep2 yesterday, after the test I spend almost 2 hrs just reviewing the errors, trying to see where I made a bad call, and why did I went that route.

And you still have time so practice from the OG, do sets of 25 problems at a time from each section and see how your reasoning is evolving. And keep working that error log, it may sound not that relevant but I think it is very important.

Remember, the comment I made somewhere about setting up small battles and hitting them out of the park. You should use the OGs to do this, and the confidence that you get from these will see you through on the CATs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Oh man you guys completly rock..

So here's what I hear..TIMING..REVIEW..REVIEW..REVIEW!!
And that is what I am going to do!

Yes I plan to start revising my error log soon.maybe today..still have to make a new plan..

Since I completed my gprep 2 I plan on revising BOTH my tests today..and then reinstalling..

[caption=]I would suggest you take the Prep exams, probably one day quant and the next day verbal so that you improve on our timing and also come to know what type of mistakes you are doing.[/caption]

Hey could you please elaborate on this..should i take my gprep individually in two sessions?

Gmat club tests..yes I took a couple..around 8-9..will just revise them..very tough for me.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V29
Send PM
tejal777 wrote:
I would suggest you take the Prep exams, probably one day quant and the next day verbal so that you improve on our timing and also come to know what type of mistakes you are doing.

Tejal777,

What I mean to say is that By spending continuously for close to 3 hrs, you might be really tired and then if the score does not turn to what you expect it may again affect your confidence. Also you do not have enought energy to review your mistakes when they are fresh in your mind. Hence I thought if you need a bit more practice on timing each section and also attempt as many GMATPrep questions as possible, do it in batches. This way you will have enough time in reviewing the questions / answers. Believe it not, review takes much longer time. Almost double the time. So if you do it in batches, you have enough time to review and learn from the mistakes that you made on that Day.

Go by this approach ONLY if you know that you can sit for long hours taking the exam but wanted to learn more from your mistakes.

One other tip that is working for me - I don't knwo how good it does when you uninstall and reinstall the GMATPrep. Because when I reinstall the software and try to open the Practice CATS, it shows that both the tests are Unfinished. If I reinstalled, I should have see 'NOT STARTED'. So what I was doing is - I am installing the software on a different machine and then working on the CATS. I do see very few questions that are repeats and a considerable amount of questions that are new. See if you have this luxury.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Hey I can help you with that s/w installation thing..unfortunately I don't have that liberty of the second comp...so I have to resort to this..
When u remove gprep from your computer..you have to MANUALLY delete the gprep folder from your C drive!I was also facing the same problem and found the solution:) After deleting the folder you can reinstall the prep again and it will say not started:)

Doing the sections seperately actually sounds like a very good suggestion..basically the focus will be on maximising each section..will keep you posted..

What are you doing for AWA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V29
Send PM
Oh so we need to delete some folder on the drive...only then will it work...I didn't know that..... Thanks for the tip......

Happy preparation....... :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4