GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 16:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

CR - Countries that legalized the drug X twenty years ago,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 26 Aug 2016
Posts: 687
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
CR - Countries that legalized the drug X twenty years ago,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 18:47
1
6
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

69% (01:41) correct 31% (02:04) wrong based on 321 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Countries that legalized the drug X twenty years ago, because a significant percentage of the population had been using X on a daily basis without any apparent harm to the community at large, reset the benchmark for what is appropriate and proper behavior among their citizens. Since X's legalization, there has been an increase in manic depression, suicide and certain kinds of cancer. In order for Andovia, a country that has not yet legalized X,to avoid the development of such undesirable tendencies and prevent the social problems stemming from broad usage of drug X, it should close its borders and not issue visas to any tourists from countries where drug X is legal.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

A Drug X emits a faint smell that makes it very difficult for trained canines to identify at border control points.
B The detrimental side effects of drug X only become visible after several years of usage.
C Andovia is surrounded on three sides by water, but has an excellent naval border police force.
D Drug X resembles several other designer drugs currently on the market.
E Drug X is very easy to extract chemically from certain consumer products and is taken in droplet size doses that can easily be camouflaged as items such as hairspray or nail polish remover.
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 26 Aug 2016
Posts: 687
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: CR - Countries that legalized the drug X twenty years ago,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 19:24
bhawana003 wrote:
D?

Sent from my Redmi 3S using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

OA is E . since, Shutting off the imports can't stop the spread of drugs as it is easily made inside with consumer products.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Dec 2016
Posts: 45
Location: Malaysia
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GPA: 4
Re: CR - Countries that legalized the drug X twenty years ago,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 22:17
Nightmare007 wrote:
bhawana003 wrote:
D?

Sent from my Redmi 3S using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

OA is E . since, Shutting off the imports can't stop the spread of drugs as it is easily made inside with consumer products.


Yep, E IMO as well as this won't prevent people from bringing the drug inside the country


Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Status: GMAT...one last time for good!!
Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Posts: 67
Location: India
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: CR - Countries that legalized the drug X twenty years ago,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 01:56
Nightmare007 wrote:
Countries that legalized the drug X twenty years ago, because a significant percentage of the population had been using X on a daily basis without any apparent harm to the community at large, reset the benchmark for what is appropriate and proper behavior among their citizens. Since X's legalization, there has been an increase in manic depression, suicide and certain kinds of cancer. In order for Andovia, a country that has not yet legalized X,to avoid the development of such undesirable tendencies and prevent the social problems stemming from broad usage of drug X, it should close its borders and not issue visas to any tourists from countries where drug X is legal.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

A Drug X emits a faint smell that makes it very difficult for trained canines to identify at border control points.
B The detrimental side effects of drug X only become visible after several years of usage.
C Andovia is surrounded on three sides by water, but has an excellent naval border police force.
D Drug X resembles several other designer drugs currently on the market.
E Drug X is very easy to extract chemically from certain consumer products and is taken in droplet size doses that can easily be camouflaged as items such as hairspray or nail polish remover.


Weaken
Conclusion: In order for Andovia, a country that has not yet legalized X,to avoid the development of such undesirable tendencies and prevent the social problems stemming from broad usage of drug X, it should close its borders and not issue visas to any tourists from countries where drug X is legal.
Prethinking: So banning tourists and not issuing visas should solve the problem.
But what if say the citizens of Andovia(who are not banned from travelling) go to those coutries and smuggle drugs home?
Or maybe the drug is made from some plant easily available in Andovia?

Option E
_________________

Kudos for a correct solution :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 29 Oct 2016
Posts: 251
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Re: CR - Countries that legalized the drug X twenty years ago,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 07:02
Hi expert,
Can you please assist with your reasoning to eliminate (D)?
IMHO,(D) is another contender.I interpret this option as an alternative explanation to the increase in manic depression--people mistakenly attribute drug X as a cause of the depression.

Thanks.
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 26 Aug 2016
Posts: 687
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: CR - Countries that legalized the drug X twenty years ago,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 09:11
sleepynut wrote:
Hi expert,
Can you please assist with your reasoning to eliminate (D)?
IMHO,(D) is another contender.I interpret this option as an alternative explanation to the increase in manic depression--people mistakenly attribute drug X as a cause of the depression.

Thanks.

resembles -Meaning Look alike. Not in properties or anything. :) . I hope you understood.
and we need to weaken the conclusion by saying that the policy won't help out.
E clearly states that . Even if outsides are blocked as per the policy people people still have access to that drug by making at their home using consumer products.

+kudos if you liked the answer .
Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 22 Aug 2016
Posts: 4
Re: CR - Countries that legalized the drug X twenty years ago,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 01:15
Nightmare007 wrote:
sleepynut wrote:
Hi expert,
Can you please assist with your reasoning to eliminate (D)?
IMHO,(D) is another contender.I interpret this option as an alternative explanation to the increase in manic depression--people mistakenly attribute drug X as a cause of the depression.

Thanks.

resembles -Meaning Look alike. Not in properties or anything. :) . I hope you understood.
and we need to weaken the conclusion by saying that the policy won't help out.
E clearly states that . Even if outsides are blocked as per the policy people people still have access to that drug by making at their home using consumer products.

+kudos if you liked the answer .



Thank you for the clariifcation.

I have a followup enquiry on this answer choice.

Say, if the Answer choice is:
Several other designer drugs functions the same and also have the same side effect like Drug X does.


Would this answer choice be better than Answer choice E??
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 28 Jun 2015
Posts: 94
Location: Australia
Re: CR - Countries that legalized the drug X twenty years ago,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 14:43
1
D is out of scope. currently on the market - where? in other countries where X is legal or in Andovia? Also, do those designer drugs resemble X's properties or looks?

E basically says Even if CAUSE occurs [close its borders and not issue visas] EFFECT does NOT occur [citizens' access to X] - as they might be able to produce themselves.

Straight forward

Regards



Nightmare007 wrote:
Countries that legalized the drug X twenty years ago, because a significant percentage of the population had been using X on a daily basis without any apparent harm to the community at large, reset the benchmark for what is appropriate and proper behavior among their citizens. Since X's legalization, there has been an increase in manic depression, suicide and certain kinds of cancer. In order for Andovia, a country that has not yet legalized X,to avoid the development of such undesirable tendencies and prevent the social problems stemming from broad usage of drug X, it should close its borders and not issue visas to any tourists from countries where drug X is legal.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

A Drug X emits a faint smell that makes it very difficult for trained canines to identify at border control points.
B The detrimental side effects of drug X only become visible after several years of usage.
C Andovia is surrounded on three sides by water, but has an excellent naval border police force.
D Drug X resembles several other designer drugs currently on the market.
E Drug X is very easy to extract chemically from certain consumer products and is taken in droplet size doses that can easily be camouflaged as items such as hairspray or nail polish remover.

[/color][/color]
Re: CR - Countries that legalized the drug X twenty years ago, &nbs [#permalink] 25 Oct 2017, 14:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

CR - Countries that legalized the drug X twenty years ago,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.