It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 15:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR: Mouth Cancer

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 141

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Copenhagen, ESMT"19
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: CR: Mouth Cancer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 02:59
Mouth cancer is a danger for people who rarely brush their teeth. In order to achieve early detection of mouth cancer in these individuals, a town's public health officials sent pamphlet to all town residents, describing how to perform weekly self-examinations of the mouth for lumps

Why his method will not work ?

Which of the following, if true, is the best criticism of the pamphlet as a method of achieving the public health official's goal?
a. Many dental diseases produce symptoms that cannot be detected in a weekly self-examination. we neeed to talk abt cancer only

b. Once mouth cancer has been detected, the effectiveness of treatment can vary from person to person. SO ??

c. The pamphlet was sent to all town residents, including those individuals who brush their teeth regularly. means it has reached to ppl who dont brush

d. Mouth cancer is much more common in adults than in children. it doesnt affect health plan

e. People who rarely brush their teeth are unlikely to perform a weekly examination of their mouth. ok if this is true then plan will not be achieved

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 141

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 533

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 03:11
Oh man ! i got this very easy problem wrong just by overthinking .
I thought E is just a paraphrase of the argument so can not be an answer given GAMT rarely gives such easy answers.

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 35

GPA: 3.31
CR: Mouth Cancer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 10:00
The Question is:

Mouth cancer is a danger for people who rarely brush their teeth. In order to achieve early detection of mouth cancer in these individuals, a town's public health officials sent pamphlet to all town residents, describing how to perform weekly self-examinations of the mouth for lumps

Which of the following, if true, is the best criticism of the pamphlet as a method of achieving the public health official's goal?
a. Many dental diseases produce symptoms that cannot be detected in a weekly self-examination.
We are concerned about Mouth Cancer. Not "dental diseases"

b. Once mouth cancer has been detected, the effectiveness of treatment can vary from person to person.
Irrelevant.

c. The pamphlet was sent to all town residents, including those individuals who brush their teeth regularly.
Irrelevant.

d. Mouth cancer is much more common in adults than in children.
Irrelevant.

e. People who rarely brush their teeth are unlikely to perform a weekly examination of their mouth.
Mouth cancer is more likely to happen to individuals who brush their teeth rarely.
And if these people are less prone to perform a weekly examination of their mouth, the main agenda of town's public health officials will go in vain.
[There will be no benefit in sending pamphlet to all town residents as they won't be any help to those individuals more likely to be affected]

Therefore, it weakens the effectiveness and thus, right criticism.

Correct

It directly hits the
I have 2 questions regarding this question
1. what is the answer.. and what is the explanation for getting to that answer choice.

A: Answer is E. It is most relevant as explained above.

2. more importantly... how do I do these CR questions.. I mean ones that ask me to figure out the best criticism??

A: Always in these type of questions look out for sentences that hit the main conclusion and criticize it /weaken it.
(Refer the above explanation)

In case you find my posts helpful, give me Kudos. Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 35

VP
VP
G

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 10:13
shekyonline wrote:
The Question is:

a. Many dental diseases produce symptoms that cannot be detected in a weekly self-examination.
We are concerned about Mouth Cancer. Not "dental diseases"

b. Once mouth cancer has been detected, the effectiveness of treatment can vary from person to person.
Irrelevant.

c. The pamphlet was sent to all town residents, including those individuals who brush their teeth regularly.
Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.

e. People who rarely brush their teeth are unlikely to perform a weekly examination of their mouth.
Mouth cancer is more likely to happen to individuals who brush their teeth rarely.
And if these people are less prone to perform a weekly examination of their mouth, the main agenda of town's public health officials will go in vain.
[There will be no benefit in sending pamphlet to all town residents as they won't be any help to those individuals more likely to be affected]

Therefore, it weakens the effectiveness and thus, right criticism.

Correct

It directly hits the
1. what is the answer.. and what is the explanation for getting to that answer choice.

A: Answer is E. It is most relevant as explained above.

2. more importantly... how do I do these CR questions.. I mean ones that ask me to figure out the best criticism??

A: Always in these type of questions look out for sentences that hit the main conclusion and criticize it /weaken it.
(Refer the above explanation)

Thanks for the explanation now i see my mistake clearly

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Manager
Manager
B
Status: Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 135

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
CR: Mouth Cancer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 08:35
Dear hbs2012,

I am happy to help for this question. :)

PLAN GOAL based argument,
GOAL - to achieve early detection of mouth cancer in the individuals who rarely brush their teeth.
Method of achieving the goal - By distributing pamphlets to all town residents, describing how to perform weekly self-examinations of the mouth for lumps.

My take in explaining all the 5 options precisely.

Is Mouth Cancer included in those diseases? We are not given enough information in the argument to predict that... right? So, Incorrect.

We are concerned about achieving the early detection of mouth cancer in people who rarely brush their teeth. What will happen after the detection :?: Are we really concerned with that?? No, right? SO, this option is INCORRECT.

Also, we need to simply criticize the pamphlet as a method of achieving the public health official's goal. This option fails to do that.

Its good only, if not bad. right? It confirms that at least the pamphlets are reaching to the concerned individuals. It slightly strengthens the pamphlet as a method of achieving the goal.

So what? Irrelevant to the question in hand.

Brilliant. Though the public health officials are doing things on their part, but the people are themselves lazy as they are rarely brushing their teeth so it is more likely that they will rarely perform a weekly examination of their mouth, even if they had the pamphlets in hand.

The OA is E. I have given my detailed explanation above.

2. more importantly... how do I do these CR questions.. I mean ones that ask me to figure out the best criticism??[/quote]
These are simply the weaken questions only. Simply follow the process which you follow for the weaken questions.

Regards,
Varun

Trying my best..... will succeed definitely! :)

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long.
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful. :)

Do Check OG 2017 SC Solutions - http://gmatwithcj.com/solutions-gmat-official-guide-2017-sentence-correction-questions/

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 135

CR: Mouth Cancer   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2017, 08:35

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

CR: Mouth Cancer

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap