It is currently 21 Aug 2017, 16:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR Revision: Studies in restaurants show that the tips left by

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1012 [0], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Studies in restaurants show that the tips left [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2014, 09:27
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

85% (02:12) correct 15% (01:01) wrong based on 124 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Studies in restaurants show that the tips left by customers who pay their bill tend to be larger when the bill is presented with the server’s name hand-written on the bill. Psychologists hypothesize that simply seeing a handwritten name makes many consumers feel more of a personal identification with the server, encouraging larger tips.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the psychologists’ interpretation of the studies?

(A) The effect noted in the studies applies to patrons paying with either credit cards or cash.
(B) Nametags for servers have not been shown to have any effect on the size of the bill.
(C) Greeting card companies have found that charities which send holiday cards with and written signatures are more likely to receive donations than those which send cards with printed signatures.
(D) The studies indicated much larger average tips if the customer ordered alcoholic beverages with his or her meal.
(E) Many of the restaurants in which the studies were conducted are located in tourist areas, where people are traveling for leisure activities.

Source : Jamboree GMAT
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Jamboree Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 34

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.39
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Studies in restaurants show that the tips left [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2014, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
kinjiGC wrote:
Studies in restaurants show that the tips left by customers who pay their bill tend to be larger when the bill is presented with the server’s name hand-written on the bill. Psychologists hypothesize that simply seeing a handwritten name makes many consumers feel more of a personal identification with the server, encouraging larger tips.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the psychologists’ interpretation of the studies?

(A) The effect noted in the studies applies to patrons paying with either credit cards or cash.
(B) Nametags for servers have not been shown to have any effect on the size of the bill.
(C) Greeting card companies have found that charities which send holiday cards with and written signatures are more likely to receive donations than those which send cards with printed signatures.
(D) The studies indicated much larger average tips if the customer ordered alcoholic beverages with his or her meal.
(E) Many of the restaurants in which the studies were conducted are located in tourist areas, where people are traveling for leisure activities.

Hi Kinjal

The arguments just say that if the bill is presented with the server’s name hand-written on the bill then he is tipped.

The same is said in option C. The answer is C as this option is trying to show an analogy to the arguments presented in the question stem.

D,E are irrelevant and Out of scope
B - We don't care how much is the size of the bill.
A - Does it matter whether the tip is provided with a credit card or cash ?

Do revert for discussions if still unclear.

Thanks
Ankit

PS: Hit the Kudo button if you understood the explanation.

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 34

Current Student

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2014, 11:34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
My analysis:

Studies in restaurants show that the tips left by customers who pay their bill tend to be larger when the bill is
presented with the server’s name hand-written on the bill. Psychologists hypothesize that simply seeing a hand-written name makes many consumers feel more of a personal identification with the server, encouraging larger tips. Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the psychologists’ interpretation of the studies?

a) The effect noted in the studies applies to patrons paying with either credit cards or cash.
Neither supports or refutes - Neutral statement.

b) Nametags for servers have not been shown to have any effect on the size of the bill.
We are talking about the tip and not the size of the bill - Out of scope.

c) Greeting card companies have found that charities which send holiday cards with handwritten signatures are more likely to receive donations than those which send cards with printed signatures.
- Correct and supports.
Though in a different scenario but outlines the same principle.

d) The studies indicated much larger average tips if the customer ordered alcoholic beverages with his or her meal.
- We are talking about if tipping is encouraged by the server's name and not about the size of the tip - Out of scope

e) Many of the restaurants in which the studies were conducted are located in tourist areas, where people are traveling for leisure activities.
- We are not talking about specific customers - Out of scope.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 267 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2014, 04:55
though i feel that C is the only possible answer here but i have my apprehensions .

i have read it many times (from good sources) that in CR strengthening and weakening questions, the answers which have similar examples are incorrect. For eg, if the stimulus talks about - country X implementing some policy and if one of the answer choices talks about country Y which implemented the same policy and which proved to be very successful ,then this choice is normally wrong and will never act as strengthener to an argument that says that this policy will be successful in country X . i have had example of such question in GMAT prep but i don't have them handy right now

my question is does option C not violate that logic ? if not then why so?

Kudos [?]: 267 [0], given: 61

Current Student

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2014, 06:12
aditya8062 wrote:
though i feel that C is the only possible answer here but i have my apprehensions .

i have read it many times (from good sources) that in CR strengthening and weakening questions, the answers which have similar examples are incorrect. For eg, if the stimulus talks about - country X implementing some policy and if one of the answer choices talks about country Y which implemented the same policy and which proved to be very successful ,then this choice is normally wrong and will never act as strengthener to an argument that says that this policy will be successful in country X . i have had example of such question in GMAT prep but i don't have them handy right now

One of the reasons which we need to check is :
1) "most strongly supports" Does the option strongly supports the argument compared to other options.
2) Apart from analogy, does it have some condition which is drastically different from what is stated in the premise.

I guess these can be the basis of the selection.

Thanks,
Kinjal

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 7774 [1] , given: 95

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2014, 20:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
aditya8062 wrote:

Dear aditya8062,
I received your private message and am happy to respond. :-)

It appears that kinjiGC already gave you a very good answer to this specific question.

I will just add: you are trying to understand GMAT CR by learning general rules, as if it were mathematics. Beyond the basics, that is an extremely poor approach. Whatever rule you possibly could learn, the GMAT can construct a CR question that doesn't obey it. If you really want to understand the GMAT, I have a few suggestions.
(1) Practice some LSAT arguments. They are very hard, and extremely well written, and if you understand those subtleties, the GMAT arguments will be easier.
(2) Read the Economist magazine each week from cover-to-cover. That magazine is exceptionally well written, and the arguments presented there are subtle and sophisticated, much like the GMAT CR arguments. Reading that every week would be extremely good for all your Verbal skills.
(3) When you get a GMAT CR question wrong, read the explanation and appreciate what is unique about that scenario. The GMAT always presents arguments that are unique to a particular scenario.
(4) Stop reading anything at all about general rules for GMAT. I don't care how reputable the source is. Stop completely! At this point, that reading is proving detrimental to your approach to the GMAT CR. GMAT CR does NOT happen in general rules. It happens in the details of the specific situation, and if you view these arguments through the one-size-fits-all lens of general rules, you will be tripped up time and time again.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 7774 [1] , given: 95

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 35

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2014, 08:51
kinjiGC wrote:
a) The effect noted in the studies applies to patrons paying with either credit cards or cash.
Neither supports or refutes - Neutral statement.

+C
kinjiGC analysis looks great but A) should be a contender. though C) is a better support.

A) - removes the parameter, payment type, thus solidifying the "cause and effect" relation indicated in the argument.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Important fact --> http://i.imgur.com/CKKBmmn.jpg

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 35

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
G

Kudos [?]: 15404 [1] , given: 1943

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
CR Revision: Studies in restaurants show that the tips left by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2016, 00:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Studies in restaurants show that the tips left by customers who pay their bill tend to be larger when the bill is presented with the server’s name hand-written on the bill. Psychologists hypothesize that simply seeing a hand-written name makes many consumers feel more of a personal identification with the server, encouraging larger tips.

A. The effect noted in the studies applies to patrons paying with either credit cards or cash.

B. Name tags for servers have not been shown to have any effect on the size of the bill.

C. Greeting card companies have found that charities which send holiday cards with handwritten signatures are more likely to receive donations than those which send cards with printed signatures.

D. The studies indicated much larger average tips if the customer ordered alcoholic beverages with his or her meal.

E. Many of the restaurants in which the studies were conducted are located in tourist areas, where people are traveling for leisure activities.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 15404 [1] , given: 1943

Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 986 [0], given: 874

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR Revision: Studies in restaurants show that the tips left by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2016, 07:32
Tips are larger when the bill is presented with the server’s name. Hand-written name encourages larger tips

A. The effect noted in the studies applies to patrons paying with either credit cards or cash. - Incorrect - out of scope

B. Name tags for servers have not been shown to have any effect on the size of the bill. - Incorrect - If name tags were identified by the consumer, there was no need for the name to be handwritten on the bill

C. Greeting card companies have found that charities which send holiday cards with handwritten signatures are more likely to receive donations than those which send cards with printed signatures. - Correct - Strengthens the argument by providing one more example which is quite similar to the stated argument.

D. The studies indicated much larger average tips if the customer ordered alcoholic beverages with his or her meal. - Incorrect - We are not focused on the type of order and its relationship with tips.

E. Many of the restaurants in which the studies were conducted are located in tourist areas, where people are traveling for leisure activities. - Incorrect - Out of scope

Answer: C

Kudos [?]: 986 [0], given: 874

Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Kudos [?]: 301 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2016, 02:36
The Psychologists hypothesize that since the server's name is written with hand in the bill it promotes rapport and motivates the customers to pay a larger tip. Any answer choice which gives extra support to this contention is the answer. "C" is a direct analogy which compares "Charities" with the "Restaurant" and "donations" with tips". Since handwritten signatures on the greetings card fetches higher donations for the charities than do printed signatures; similarly handwritten bills encourage customers to pay larger tips.

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Kudos [?]: 301 [0], given: 1

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 248 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2016, 06:46
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 248 [0], given: 0

Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 776 [0], given: 66

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2017, 03:26
kinjiGC wrote:

This argument concerns a potential explanation for larger tips on the part of restaurant patrons. The explanation provided is that customers are more generous toward servers that leave their hand-written name on the bill due to a greater degree of personal identification with the server, which encourages larger tips. The correct answer will either support the fact that a hand-written name strengthens personal identification, or that personal identification encourages larger tips.
(A) The fact that the effect applies equally regardless of the method of payment is not relevant to the conclusion.
(B) The argument does not address the size of the bill; rather, it addresses the size of the tip. This choice is irrelevant.
(C) CORRECT. This answer choice provides further evidence that a handwritten name or signature generates a greater form of personalization and emotional connection among recipients, leading to more donations.
(D) The impact of alcoholic beverages on tipping behavior is irrelevant.
(E) The location of the restaurants and leisure pursuits of the patrons are irrelevant to the argument.

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 776 [0], given: 66

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 18

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Studies in restaurants show that the tips left [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 15:29

Choice C shows analogy with a similar example and a similar study where the rate of donation was higher where the greeting cards had written signatures.
option A and B does not strengthen the argument,no do D and E

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 18

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 844

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 02:19
Conclusion :- Studies in restaurants show that the tips left by customers who pay their bill tend to be larger when the bill is presented with the server’s name hand-written on the bill.
Why?
Option C fits the bill :-
This answer choice provides further evidence that a handwritten name or signature generates a greater form of personalization and emotional connection among recipients, leading to more donations

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 844

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 562

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 09:20
kinjiGC wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:

One of the reasons which we need to check is :
1) "most strongly supports" Does the option strongly supports the argument compared to other options.
2) Apart from analogy, does it have some condition which is drastically different from what is stated in the premise.

I guess these can be the basis of the selection.

hello, i need help. If the question has the word "support", it can be either strength, inference, or explanation. How can we identify the question type?
In this case, it seems the question is inference.

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 562

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 17

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.61

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2017, 03:20
Hey,
I think there are some gaps in my understanding and I would really appreciate if someone can clarify them. What is wrong with option A? I agree it strengthens the argument but it does so lesser than C. Is my understanding correct? Can there more than 1 strengthener?
I feel so it removes an additional parameter, the mode of payment, thus solidifying the "cause and effect" relation indicated in the argument.

Please let me know. Don't wanna chose the wrong option on my GMAT :)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 17

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 1127 [0], given: 344

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 16:24
abhijay wrote:
Hey,
I think there are some gaps in my understanding and I would really appreciate if someone can clarify them. What is wrong with option A? I agree it strengthens the argument but it does so lesser than C. Is my understanding correct? Can there more than 1 strengthener?
I feel so it removes an additional parameter, the mode of payment, thus solidifying the "cause and effect" relation indicated in the argument.

Please let me know. Don't wanna chose the wrong option on my GMAT :)

Choice (A) simply reinforces the accuracy of the results of the study. We need something that "strongly supports the psychologists’ interpretation of the studies", which is that "simply seeing a hand-written name makes many consumers feel more of a personal identification with the server, encouraging larger tips".

Only choice (C) strengthens this interpretation.

I hope this helps!

www.gmatninja.com + GMAT blog + food blog + I'm really bad at PMs

Want expert SC and CR explanations? Check out our verbal Question of the Day! All of them are available here.

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and then please be specific about your question for us. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Verbal Experts' Topics of the Week:
All Topics of the Week | Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners | Ultimate CR Guide for Beginners | Ultimate SC Guide for Beginners | 7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order | How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

YouTube verbal webinars: "Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT

Kudos [?]: 1127 [0], given: 344

Re: CR Revision: Studies in restaurants show that the tips left by   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2017, 16:24