Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1135 [22]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618770 [0]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618770 [0]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
GRE 1: Q780 V540
Send PM
Re: Although we could replace the beautiful—but dilapidated—old bridge acr [#permalink]
Kudos
argument: The extra cost is clearly justified by the importance of maintaining the beauty of our river crossing.

objective: So, the Cable bridge should provide more beauty than concrete skywalk.

A) It is no more costly to maintain a cable bridge
than a concrete skyway. -- main point is about beauty, not the money, so eliminated
(B) A concrete skyway would not have any practical
advantages over a cable bridge.again, its about beauty, not the advantages, eliminated
(C) The beauty of the river crossing must be
preserved.of course, but this is not supporting the cable bridge, eliminated
(D) If the new cable bridge is built, most people
who see it will think the extra money well
spent.again, not about money, eliminated
(E) Building a cable bridge across Black River
would produce a more aesthetically pleasing
result than building a concrete skyway.here says Cable bridge will be pleasing aesthetically than concrete skyway, and hence provides more beauty... So, this is the one...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Although we could replace the beautiful—but dilapidated [#permalink]
Kudos
Top Contributor
the argument basically says -

Maintaining the beauty of river crossing is important --> Use cable bridge instead of concrete skyway.

We have been asked to find an assumption of the argument. The correct answer should link the premise to the conclusion.
let us look at each of the answer options -

Option A - Incorrect.
Even if the cable bridge is more costly to maintain, this consideration has no impact on the argument. The primary reason as to why the author suggests using a cable bridge is to maintain the beauty of the river crossing. Since, this option does not address that it is irrelevant.

Option B - Incorrect.
Again does not address the author's reason for suggesting the cable bridge - maintaining the beauty of river crossing.
Even if the skyway had some practical advantages, this consideration does not destroy the author's argument.

Option C - Incorrect.
Negate this.
"The beauty of the river crossing need not be preserved." - this states that maintaining the beauty of the river crossing is not an absolute necessity. Does not mean that we should not maintain the beauty of the crossing. Hence, negating the statement does not destroy the argument.

Option D - Incorrect.
What people feel/think is irrelevant.

Option E - Correct.
If building the bridge does not produce a more aesthetically pleasing result, then there is no point to the author's argument; it completely falls apart.

Originally posted by CrackverbalGMAT on 28 Jan 2017, 01:03.
Last edited by CrackverbalGMAT on 28 Jan 2017, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Although we could replace the beautiful—but dilapidated [#permalink]
I am not convinced with the explanation provided. Can experts explain why E is better than C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Although we could replace the beautiful—but dilapidated [#permalink]
Kudos
ankujgupta wrote:
I am not convinced with the explanation provided. Can experts explain why E is better than C

Hi... to begin with..I am not an expert..but I can tell you how I solved the Q. Even I was confused between C and E. However, if you give a closer look than C is somewhere too extreme and it talk only about preserving the beauty of the river crossing. But the main argument is whether to use cable bridge or concrete bridge. So if you negate the E option that is:
Building a cable bridge across Black River would NOT produce a more aesthetically pleasing result than building a concrete skyway.

Than the argument itself is broken. The argument is meaningless since both type of bridges add same amount of beautification.
In assumption Qs, answers are ones that break entire argument.

If u like my ans, hit KUDOS button!!

Originally posted by startjumprun on 28 Jan 2017, 06:45.
Last edited by startjumprun on 13 Jul 2017, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Although we could replace the beautiful—but dilapidated [#permalink]
Top Contributor
ankujgupta wrote:

You can also look at it this way -

Option C takes the premise "importance of maintaining the beauty of crossing" and makes it an absolute rule "must be preserved".

An assumption must link the premise to the conclusion.
this then just reinforces the premise part in the argument -

Maintaining the beauty of river crossing is important --> Use cable bridge instead of concrete skyway.

Hope this helps.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Although we could replace the beautifulbut dilapidated [#permalink]
Although we could replace the beautiful—but dilapidated—old bridge across Black River with a concrete skyway, we should instead replace it with a cable bridge even though this would be more expensive than building a concrete skyway. The extra cost is clearly justified by the importance of maintaining the beauty of our river crossing.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) It is no more costly to maintain a cable bridge than a concrete skyway. - WRONG. Cost is irrelevant.
(B) A concrete skyway would not have any practical advantages over a cable bridge. - WRONG. Practicality is fine but its about beauty which doesn't care about practicality.
(C) The beauty of the river crossing must be preserved. - WRONG. While nothing sounds bad in this one but usage of "must" must make us analyse whether it is necessary or sufficient condition. Strong claim must be supported in the passage. But here in this one it is not necessary.
(D) If the new cable bridge is built, most people who see it will think the extra money well spent. - WRONG. People's thought is not relevant.
(E) Building a cable bridge across Black River would produce a more aesthetically pleasing result than building a concrete skyway. - CORRECT. If it doesn't then we are in trouble as conclusion's weakened.

Answer E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi Experts, I have a question here. I was debating between (C) and (E) and chose (C) over (E). Below is my understanding:

Premise: replace old bridge with a cable bridge even though this would be more expensive than building a concrete skyway.

Conclusion: The extra cost is clearly justified by the ''importance of maintaining the beauty of our river crossing.''

(C) = Negating (C) we get "The beauty of the river crossing need not be preserved." this way, how can the extra cost of the cable bridge be justified?

(E) Building a cable bridge across Black River would produce a ''more aesthetically pleasing result than building a concrete skyway. = but stimulus never talks about ''aesthetically pleasing'' part. Even if Concrete bridge is MORE AESTHETICALLY PLEASING, cable bridge can ''MAINTAIN the beauty of river bridge''.

Please help!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63654 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashutosh_73 wrote:
Hi Experts, I have a question here. I was debating between (C) and (E) and chose (C) over (E). Below is my understanding:

Premise: replace old bridge with a cable bridge even though this would be more expensive than building a concrete skyway.

Conclusion: The extra cost is clearly justified by the ''importance of maintaining the beauty of our river crossing.''

(C) = Negating (C) we get "The beauty of the river crossing need not be preserved." this way, how can the extra cost of the cable bridge be justified?

(E) Building a cable bridge across Black River would produce a ''more aesthetically pleasing result thaan building a concrete skyway. = but stimulus never talks about ''aesthetically pleasing'' part. Even if Concrete bridge is MORE AESTHETICALLY PLEASING, cable bridge can ''MAINTAIN the beauty of river bridge''.

Please help!

Choice (C) says, "The beauty of the river crossing MUST be preserved," but even the author concedes that they COULD replace the bridge with a concrete skyway.

Think of it this way: if (C) isn't assumed, then it's possible that we do not HAVE TO preserve the beauty of the river crossing. But if you said to the author, "hey, you know we don't absolutely have to preserve the beauty of the river crossing, right?", he/she would reply, "yeah, I know -- I'm not saying that we have to; I'm saying that we should." So we don't need to assume (C) in order for the argument to hold.

(E), however, is necessary. The author's whole point is that we should pay extra for a cable bridge in order to maintain beauty. But if we can maintain beauty with a concrete skyway that's just as aesthetically pleasing, if not more so, then the author's reason for paying extra for a cable bridge isn't valid.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts