Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 241 [11]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools: Foster '18
GMAT 1: 560 Q42 V24
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Crunch-o cookies have twice as much flavor for your money as Choc-o co [#permalink]
target2015 wrote:
Crunch-o cookies have twice as much flavor for your money as Choc-o cookies, and we show you how. A single Crunch-o cookie is twice as large as a single Choc-o cookie, and the larger the cookie, the more the flavor.
Which of the following, if true, would undermine the persuasive appeal of the above advertisement?
(I) A packet of Choc-o contains twice as many cookies as a packet of Crunch-o at the same price.
(II) Choc-o has more concentrated flavor than Crunch-o.
(III) Despite being double in size a Crunch-o cookie weighs only 50% as much as a Choc-o Cookie.

(A) I only

(B) II only

(C) I and II only

(D) II and III only

(E) I, II and III

In III, it shows that the Crunch-o cookie is actually smaller than Choc-o. (It is thin, and therefore not as large.) From there, D or E is the answer. Because II is included in both choices, that automatically weakens the argument. Does I weaken the argument? Yes, the net flavor from both cookies is the same since the number of cookies compensates for the decrease in flavor.

E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Crunch-o cookies have twice as much flavor for your money as Choc-o co [#permalink]
What is the source of this question?

I am not sure how can we relate weight of a cookie with flavor. Nothing is mentioned in the premise.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Statistics
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Is the answer correct ? I still suspect C , not very much convinced with :
(III) Despite being double in size a Crunch-o cookie weighs only 50% as much as a Choc-o Cookie.

It can be very well the case, the weight is not attributed only by flavor. Its nowhere said, the cookie is made only of flavor. Its quite possible flavor content(weight) is same in both cookies but final cookie weight is different. Please assist if incorrect assumption/understanding.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 133 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
GPA: 3.22
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bookmarks
I feel C should be the answer. For answer E we are taking assumption which is not related to the information given in the question.
:roll:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
target2015 wrote:
Crunch-o cookies have twice as much flavor for your money as Choc-o cookies, and we show you how. A single Crunch-o cookie is twice as large as a single Choc-o cookie, and the larger the cookie, the more the flavor.
Which of the following, if true, would undermine the persuasive appeal of the above advertisement?
(I) A packet of Choc-o contains twice as many cookies as a packet of Crunch-o at the same price.

(A) I only

(B) II only

(3) I and II only

(D) II and III only

(E) I, II and III

Not a good question. First of all the focal point of the ad is flavor. So if we assume that to be the only factor that we have to undermine then B is the answer. However size, weight and numbers are also important to the buyer. If that's the case then why is the ad focusing only on flavor? Not worth the time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
I think that the question is not that good and this is why: the conclusion is concerned with the flavor/Price because the author said "twice as much flavor for your money".

(I) A packet of Choc-o contains twice as many cookies as a packet of Crunch-o at the same price. Although they are priced the same and the packet of Choc-o contains more cookies than the packet of Crunch-o, we know nothing about the concentrations, so the flavor/ price ratio for the Crunch-o can be higher.

(II) Choc-o has more concentrated flavor than Crunch-o. Nothing mentioned about price, so we cannot know which ratio is higher.

(III) Despite being double in size a Crunch-o cookie weighs only 50% as much as a Choc-o Cookie. Weight does not reflect concentrations, which reflect flavor. In addition to that, nothing is mentioned regarding the prices.

All of the answer choices can be eliminated; the source of the question does not seem as a good one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
I am not convinced with III so I picked C too.

My question is does the official test include this type of question (with I II and III) ?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32897 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

Put in other words, the question implies, 'which of the following, if true, work against the claims of the advertisement?'

If statement I is correct, Choc-o has more value for money then Crunch-o.
If statement II is correct, then Choc-o also has more flavor, because concentration of the flavor is a more important factor than the size of the cookie.

Finally, volume of the cookie is not the criterion on which the flavor is based, it is the mass (or weight). Thus, each of the three statements detract from the appeal of the above advertisement.

Hence (E) is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
Crunch-o cookies have twice as much flavor for your money as Choc-o co [#permalink]
rajarshee wrote:
target2015 wrote:

(A) I only

(B) II only

(3) I and II only

(D) II and III only

(E) I, II and III

Not a good question. First of all the focal point of the ad is flavor. So if we assume that to be the only factor that we have to undermine then B is the answer. However size, weight and numbers are also important to the buyer. If that's the case then why is the ad focusing only on flavor? Not worth the time.

In whatever case option I is right as the premise does not just talk about the flavor, but rather it talks about "flavor for money".
GMAT Club Bot
Crunch-o cookies have twice as much flavor for your money as Choc-o co [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts