GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 19:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

D01-24

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member
Re D01-24  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 19:07
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: D01-24  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 15:45
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

A bus leaves city \(M\) and travels to city \(N\) at a constant speed, at the same time another bus leaves city \(N\) and travels to city \(M\) at the same constant speed. After driving for 2 hours they meet at point \(P\). The following day the buses do the return trip at the same constant speed. One bus is delayed 24 minutes and the other leaves 36 minutes earlier. If they meet 24 miles from point \(P\), what is the distance between the two cities?

A. 48
B. 72
C. 96
D. 120
E. 192

The buses travel at the same constant speed. It would take one bus to travel 4 hours to cover the distance between the cities \(M\) and \(N\) (two buses drove for 2 hours each). We need to find the speed of the bus. If the first bus was delayed by 24 minutes and the second one left 36 minutes earlier, it makes the second bus \(24+36=60\) minutes ahead of the first bus.

The meeting point was 24 miles away on this second day. We know the distance difference between the two meeting points, but we also need to find difference in time those 24 miles were covered. If the second bus drove for 1 hour before the first one departed, each of them had to go for another 1.5 hour to meet (1.5 hour + 1.5 hour + 1 hour). The second bus traveled for 2.5 hours and the first one for 1.5 hour. Therefore the meeting point on the second day was 30 minutes away from that of the previous day.

So the second bus covered 24 miles in 30 minutes, which gives us the speed of the bus, 48 mph. We can calculate the distance as we already know the speed:

\(4*48=192\) miles.

Alternative Explanation

Say the distance between the cities is \(d\) miles.

Since both buses travel at the same constant speed and leave the cities at the same time then they meet at the halfway, so the first meeting point \(P\), is \(\frac{d}{2}\) miles away from \(M\) (and \(N\)).

Next, since the buses meet in 2 hours then the total time to cover \(d\) miles for each bus is 4 hours.

Now, on the second day one bus traveled alone for 1 hour (36min +24min), hence covered \(0.25d\) miles, and \(0.75d\) miles is left to cover.

The buses meet again at the halfway of \(0.75d\), which is 24 miles from \(\frac{d}{2}\):

Hence, \(\frac{d}{2}-24=\frac{0.75d}{2}\), which gives \(d=192\) miles.

Answer: E

i understood explanation , i followed a different approach and resulted in wrong answer but still dont find the reason why its wrong

the only difference on both days is one bus is 1 hour ahead of other
because of this 1 hour they meet 24 miles ahead of the previous meeting point

so why cant we say it took 1 hour for the bus ,which was an hour ahead of other ,to complete the 24 miles

thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re D01-24  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2018, 05:38
I think this is a high-quality question.
Director
Director
D
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: D01-24  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 04:30
Let the distance between M & N be D miles.

Since both buses took two hours before they met halfway round at point P. It took 4 hours for them to cover the complete distance D. (Its given that the two buses travel at the same constant speed and leave the cities at the same time then they meet at the halfway in two hours , i.e. cover distance D/2...and meet mid way i.e. at point P)

Attachment:
Q2.jpg

On the second day one bus traveled alone for 1 hour before another bus started from its destination, hence covered D/4 of the distance in one hour. The remaining distance to be covered (3/8)D before they meet at point C (in figure above). This point is 24 miles from P. Which implies that (3/8)D+ 24 = D/2 or 3D+192 = 4D

Therefore \(D=192\) miles.

Correct Answer: Option E
>> !!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

GMAT Club Bot
Re: D01-24 &nbs [#permalink] 09 Oct 2018, 04:30

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 44 posts ] 

D01-24

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap