GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 12:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Daniel Bernoulli derived the famous fluid equation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 SC: Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 08:11
E seems good choice, but only troublesome part is "equation named for him". I would be more comfortable to accept E, had it said "equation named after him". People named it after him, not for him!! "Which" can still modify "equation" by jumping over noun -ed modifier.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 SC: Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2015, 23:54
daagh wrote:
Only one doubt though. Is 'named for him', a correct idiom?

Have been researching a bit since i saw this question, thanks to Shraddha form egmat we can conclude that both the idioms 'Named for' and 'Named after' are correct according to GMAT.
Reference for named for- OG13 Q96

Hope this helps.

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2015, 02:31
the main point here is the decision between B and E.

in B meaning realation is loose. in E the meaing relation is close.

this case is hard.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Daniel Bernoulli derived the famous fluid equation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2015, 09:44
doesn't the correct answer choice change the meaning?
in the original sentence:
DB derived the famous fluid equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift, and made a discovery that led to an early method of measuring blood pressure.

To represents an intention. He derived the equation to explain smth.
In the correct answer choice, this is absent, and thus the meaning is distorted. I selected A just because of this subtle change in meaning.
I understand that in that time, planes did not exist, but it is the original sentence that sets the tone.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: Daniel Bernoulli derived the famous fluid equation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2015, 10:16
mvictor wrote:
doesn't the correct answer choice change the meaning?
in the original sentence:
DB derived the famous fluid equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift, and made a discovery that led to an early method of measuring blood pressure.

To represents an intention. He derived the equation to explain smth.
In the correct answer choice, this is absent, and thus the meaning is distorted. I selected A just because of this subtle change in meaning.
I understand that in that time, planes did not exist, but it is the original sentence that sets the tone.

Dear mvictor,
I'm happy to respond. :-) The SC is first and foremost a test of logic and meaning, and secondarily a test of grammar & usage. Folks forget this. You always have to be engaged in critical thinking --- at some level, the whole point of the GMAT is to measure your capacity for critical thinking. Furthermore, critical thinking is absolutely essential in the business world: the business person who is unable to engage in critical thinking is likely to be swindled.

On the GMAT SC, you have to be faithful to the meaning in the prompt, but if what the prompt says is patently illogical, you are not supposed to be faithful to that! Instead, you are to think critically about what the author was trying to communicate when he said that prompt sentence. In each SC question, we have to assume that an intelligent person was trying to say something logically valid, and we are trying to decipher what that sound logical statement was. We have to assume that any lack of logic that appears in the prompt is an accident, a failure of the speaker to use the language correctly to convey his intended meaning; our job is to figure out how to express that intended meaning correctly. There is absolutely no reason to strive to preserve something that absolutely no intelligent logical person would ever want to assert in the first place.

My friend, does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2015, 19:57
HI Mike , i had query about A, which automatically got resolved when i started typing.
A - meaning says derivation of question had some purpose , which is to explain how wings generates lift.
A is wrong because of the test "airplane’s wing’s generation of lift". "To explain shows purpose , which is not wrong here."
Please correct me if i am wrong and missing anything.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2015, 10:29
sudhirmadaan wrote:
HI Mike , i had query about A, which automatically got resolved when i started typing.
A - meaning says derivation of question had some purpose , which is to explain how wings generates lift.
A is wrong because of the test "airplane’s wing’s generation of lift". "To explain shows purpose , which is not wrong here."

Dear sudhirmadaan,
I'm happy to respond, my friend. :-) With all due respect, you question is not perfectly clear. I will answer what I think is your questions, but I would urge you to be much more careful about writing the very best questions you can. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/asking-exc ... questions/
Asking excellent questions is one of the habits of excellence.

In choice (A), the structure "airplane’s wing’s generation of lift" is somewhat awkward, and quite likely would be wrong on the GMAT SC, but I don't know whether this, by itself, would be definitive, enough to dismiss an answer choice as wrong. This makes us suspicious, but does not

The definitively incorrect part about (A) is the attribution of purpose. This is grammatically correct but not logical correct. You don't need to have an expert understanding of the physics involved or of the detailed development of aircraft, but you have to have the general idea that there were no airplanes around in the 1700s. Therefore, Bernoullli's purpose could not have been explaining something that didn't exist at all in his time.

Once again, you don't have to be an expert in anything discussed on the GMAT Verbal, but you have to have a general sense of how the world works and of the approximate order of history. See this blog:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/gmat-criti ... knowledge/

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2015, 11:18
mikemcgarry wrote:
sudhirmadaan wrote:

Dear sudhirmadaan,
I'm happy to respond, my friend. :-) With all due respect, you question is not perfectly clear. I will answer what I think is your questions, but I would urge you to be much more careful about writing the very best questions you can. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/asking-exc ... questions/
Asking excellent questions is one of the habits of excellence.

In choice (A), the structure "airplane’s wing’s generation of lift" is somewhat awkward, and quite likely would be wrong on the GMAT SC, but I don't know whether this, by itself, would be definitive, enough to dismiss an answer choice as wrong. This makes us suspicious, but does not

The definitively incorrect part about (A) is the attribution of purpose. This is grammatically correct but not logical correct. You don't need to have an expert understanding of the physics involved or of the detailed development of aircraft, but you have to have the general idea that there were no airplanes around in the 1700s. Therefore, Bernoullli's purpose could not have been explaining something that didn't exist at all in his time.

Once again, you don't have to be an expert in anything discussed on the GMAT Verbal, but you have to have a general sense of how the world works and of the approximate order of history. See this blog:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/gmat-criti ... knowledge/

thanks Mike , i got my answer, and i will take good care while asking question
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.26
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2015, 22:21
mikemcgarry wrote:
Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift, and made a discovery that led to an early method of measuring blood pressure.
(A) equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift
(B) equation named after him, and this principle explains the lift of an airplane’s wing
(C) equation, named it after himself, explained how an airplane’s wing is generating lift
(D) equation named for him, giving an explanation of the generation of the lift of an airplane’s wing
(E) equation named for him, which explains how an airplane’s wing generates lift

Folks sometimes think of GMAT SC in terms of grammar only, but the SC is as much about logic as it is about grammar. The splits in this question are less about grammatical errors and more about logical problems. For a discussion of logic in GMAT SC questions, more practice questions of this sort, and the OE of this particular question, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/logical-sp ... orrection/

mikemcgarry

Isn't there a rule that says - 'which' should modify the word placed immediately before itself?? I eliminated E for this reason.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 14:28
rachitshah wrote:
mikemcgarry
Isn't there a rule that says - 'which' should modify the word placed immediately before itself?? I eliminated E for this reason.

Dear rachitshah,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, you are thinking of the Modifier Touch Rule, which is an important pattern in grammar and in GMAT SC, but it's not an inviolate rule. It has important exceptions, the most significant of which involves the distinction of vital vs. non-vital modifiers (a.k.a restrictive vs. non-restrictive modifiers). Please see these two posts:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/that-vs-which-on-the-gmat/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... modifiers/

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.26
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 17:47
mikemcgarry wrote:
rachitshah wrote:
mikemcgarry

Dear rachitshah,

My friend, you are thinking of the Modifier Touch Rule, which is an important pattern in grammar and in GMAT SC, but it's not an inviolate rule. It has important exceptions, the most significant of which involves the distinction of vital vs. non-vital modifiers (a.k.a restrictive vs. non-restrictive modifiers). Please see these two posts:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/that-vs-which-on-the-gmat/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... modifiers/

Mind=blown. Wow, I never knew there were exceptions to the rule.

Thanks a lot!
Director
Director
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2017, 07:32
mikemcgarry , thanks for the question and the OE :). I have understood why e is the OA. I have a doubt about option D though. Is it correct to eliminate d on the grounds that usage of comma + giving is incorrect here ? This option conveys the meaning that giving is an outcome of the previous clause i.e. naming of the equation after him. This meaning is incorrect.

Kindly comment if my reasoning is correct ?

Thanks in advance :)

" The few , the fearless "

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2017, 12:22
spetznaz wrote:
mikemcgarry , thanks for the question and the OE :). I have understood why e is the OA. I have a doubt about option D though. Is it correct to eliminate d on the grounds that usage of comma + giving is incorrect here ? This option conveys the meaning that giving is an outcome of the previous clause i.e. naming of the equation after him. This meaning is incorrect.

Kindly comment if my reasoning is correct ?

Thanks in advance :)

Dear spetznaz,

My friend, I'm happy to respond. :-)

Actually, comma + "giving" is perfectly correct. In fact, I would say that version (D) is 100% grammatically correct, but it is a rhetorical nightmare. Here's version (D):
(D) Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid equation named for him, giving an explanation of the generation of the lift of an airplane’s wing, and made a discovery that led to an early method of measuring blood pressure.

Notice that version (D) is the longest of the five answer choices: that doesn't automatically mean an answer is wrong, but it's always a red flag that deserves our attention. Notice that version (D) is packed with nouns, nouns that are action words ("explanation," "generation"). As a general rule, a sentence is more compact and direct when the action words are in verb form. Putting action words in noun form is a way to make a choice sound bloated, weak, and indirect. For example, why on earth would we say "giving an explanation" rather than simply "explaining"? Even one action-word-as-noun is problematic, but this choice has two in a row! Holy mackerel! Choice (D) seems as if it is trying to win a contest to be the most rambling, verbose, and mealy-mouthed of the five answer choices. Yes, it's 100% grammatically correct, but rhetorically it's such a disaster that it should be taken out back and shot!

Remember that the GMAT SC is NOT purely a test a grammar. Instead, on the GMAT SC, grammar and logic and rhetoric are three equally important strands, and a student can't afford to ignore any of these.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 14:31
im still unable to understand why A is incorrect. Firstly, isnt it unidiomatic to say 'named for him'? Secondly, DB deriving a formula to explain the generation of lift seems logical to me as a lay man without physics or history background. So the only reason to eliminate A according to me would be the concentrated adjectives in 'airplane's wing's generation of lift', which seems awkward.

Any correction or clarity on the above would be appreciated.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 22:29
OreoShake wrote:
im still unable to understand why A is incorrect. Firstly, isnt it unidiomatic to say 'named for him'? Secondly, DB deriving a formula to explain the generation of lift seems logical to me as a lay man without physics or history background. So the only reason to eliminate A according to me would be the concentrated adjectives in 'airplane's wing's generation of lift', which seems awkward.

Dear OreoShake,

Think about this structure
{person] did X to do Y
That structure is the infinitive of purpose. It implies intentionality. It implies that the person, in undertaking action X, had the explicit purpose of accomplishing Y.

Consider the sentences:
1) Washington crossed the Delaware to stage a surprise attack on the Hessians.
This first is logical and historically accurate. That's precisely what Washington was trying to do that night.
2) Washington crossed the Delaware to look heroic in a painting.
This one is patently absurd. Yes, one of the many consequences of Washington's action is that, much later, he cut a particularly heroic figure in a painting. Nevertheless, phrasing this with an infinitive of purpose is absurd, because the very last thing on Washington's mind on that stressful evening was how some artist would paint it more than half a century later.

Now, if you think that's absurd, consider (A) from this problem.
Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift, and made a discovery that led to an early method of measuring blood pressure.
Yes, the structure "an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift" is less than ideal and probably would not be part of a correct answer, although it's hard to say whether this alone would disqualify an answer choice. The BIG problem with (A) is the absurd implication of intentionality. You don't have to have advanced technical knowledge about the history of science, but you have to have the basic idea that in the eighteenth century, there were no airplanes. To say that Bernoulli was trying to explain something about airplanes, that one of his explicit intentions in deriving the equation was to explain airplanes, is absurd, because the airplane didn't come into existence until more than a century after his death. There is no way he could have know anything about airplanes, so there is no way he could be trying to explain anything about them. That's the big problem with (A).

Remember, on the GMAT SC, an effective sentence is one in which grammar and logic and rhetoric all work together to produce meaning.

Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 05:30
mikemcgarry wrote:
(A) equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift
(B) equation named after him, and this principle explains the lift of an airplane’s wing
(C) equation, named it after himself, explained how an airplane’s wing is generating lift
(D) equation named for him, giving an explanation of the generation of the lift of an airplane’s wing
(E) equation named for him, which explains how an airplane’s wing generates lift

Folks sometimes think of GMAT SC in terms of grammar only, but the SC is as much about logic as it is about grammar. The splits in this question are less about grammatical errors and more about logical problems. For a discussion of logic in GMAT SC questions, more practice questions of this sort, and the OE of this particular question, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/logical-sp ... orrection/

The story of this sentence is about a man named DB, who derived an equation and made a discovery that led to something.

A - Nothing wrong grammatically although the mammoth that are possessive's in this sentence could be avoided. Keep for NOW.
B - 'and this' creates a separate clause, and it's followed by another clause which breaks the entire flow of the sentence. It's better to use a modifier here, to explain what the equation does. OUT.
C - Clearly OUT. I laughed when I read this sentence. He derived an equation, then NAMED it after himself, then explained a phenomena, and finally made a discovery. Fake Parallelism that clearly destroy's the meaning of the sentence. OUT.
D - Extremely verbose. Giving an explanation is redundant. We could just say explains. OUT.
E - Nothing wrong grammatically. KEEP.

Now it's down to A & E.
The comparison is between intention Vs. explanation, so do we need an adverbial phrase to show intent, or a noun-modifier to explain what the equation does.
I chose E because it was more succinct, and later I did realise that airplanes did not exist back in 1700s so there could be no intent on DB's part to explain a wing's lift.

mikemcgarry
My question is with regards to the phrase, "to explain....." in option A. Is that an adverbial modifier?

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 11:08
akshayk wrote:
mikemcgarry
My question is with regards to the phrase, "to explain....." in option A. Is that an adverbial modifier?

Dear akshayk,

My friend, did you see in the post immediate before yours that I explained that this was an infinitive of purpose. Yes, the infinitive of purpose is one kind of verb modifier, one kind of adverbial modifier. Because it makes clear the purpose of an action, it is always modifying a verb.

It's obvious that you are quite intelligent and have great potential. Before you ask a question on a thread, it's always good to check to what extent that issue already has been discussed. This sort of thoroughness is one of the aspects of asking an excellent question, and of course, that's one of the habits of excellence. Remember: how you do anything is how you do everything.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 02:12
mikemcgarry wrote:
OreoShake wrote:

Dear OreoShake,

Think about this structure
{person] did X to do Y
That structure is the infinitive of purpose. It implies intentionality. It implies that the person, in undertaking action X, had the explicit purpose of accomplishing Y.

Consider the sentences:
1) Washington crossed the Delaware to stage a surprise attack on the Hessians.
This first is logical and historically accurate. That's precisely what Washington was trying to do that night.
2) Washington crossed the Delaware to look heroic in a painting.
This one is patently absurd. Yes, one of the many consequences of Washington's action is that, much later, he cut a particularly heroic figure in a painting. Nevertheless, phrasing this with an infinitive of purpose is absurd, because the very last thing on Washington's mind on that stressful evening was how some artist would paint it more than half a century later.

Now, if you think that's absurd, consider (A) from this problem.
Yes, the structure "an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift" is less than ideal and probably would not be part of a correct answer, although it's hard to say whether this alone would disqualify an answer choice. The BIG problem with (A) is the absurd implication of intentionality. You don't have to have advanced technical knowledge about the history of science, but you have to have the basic idea that in the eighteenth century, there were no airplanes. To say that Bernoulli was trying to explain something about airplanes, that one of his explicit intentions in deriving the equation was to explain airplanes, is absurd, because the airplane didn't come into existence until more than a century after his death. There is no way he could have know anything about airplanes, so there is no way he could be trying to explain anything about them. That's the big problem with (A).

Remember, on the GMAT SC, an effective sentence is one in which grammar and logic and rhetoric all work together to produce meaning.

Does this make sense?

This did provide further clarity Mike. Thorough explanation as always. Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Daniel Bernoulli derived the famous fluid equation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 12:08
Hi Mike,
Actually i chose option A, as i didnt know "named for him" is a correct idiom.
Also , "equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift", is n't an example of using inifinity of purpose?, did bernoulli derive the equation to explain the lift. Please help me eliminate option A.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 14:08
hellosanthosh2k2 wrote:
Hi Mike,
Actually i chose option A, as i didnt know "named for him" is a correct idiom.
Also , "equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift", is n't an example of using inifinity of purpose?, did bernoulli derive the equation to explain the lift. Please help me eliminate option A.

Dear hellosanthosh2k2,

i"m happy to respond. :-)

First of all, "named for him" and "named after him" are both 100% correct idioms. You may find helpful these free GMAT Idiom Flashcards.

Yes, the phrase "to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift" is an infinitive of purpose. It's also a gorgeously awkward phrase--it's hard for two possessives in a row not to be astonishingly awkward. That's problem #1 with (A), a rhetorical problem. Then problem #2 is the logical problem. The infinitive of purpose implies that the actor had conscious intention to so something. Well, the question very conveniently gives Mr. Bernoulli's dates, in the 18th century. You don't need to have a detailed knowledge of history, but you need to have the gist that there were no airplanes in the eighteen century--airplanes didn't come along to the 20th century, so someone two centuries earlier would have had no knowledge of them and therefore could form no purposes regarding them. Thus, the infinitive of purpose is illogical in (A).

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Daniel Bernoulli derived the famous fluid equation &nbs [#permalink] 08 Sep 2017, 14:08

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 44 posts ] 

Daniel Bernoulli derived the famous fluid equation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap