Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GRE 1: Q750 V600
GPA: 3.26
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Re: Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid equation named [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
spetznaz wrote:
mikemcgarry , thanks for the question and the OE :). I have understood why e is the OA. I have a doubt about option D though. Is it correct to eliminate d on the grounds that usage of comma + giving is incorrect here ? This option conveys the meaning that giving is an outcome of the previous clause i.e. naming of the equation after him. This meaning is incorrect.

Kindly comment if my reasoning is correct ?

Thanks in advance :)

Dear spetznaz,

My friend, I'm happy to respond. :-)

Actually, comma + "giving" is perfectly correct. In fact, I would say that version (D) is 100% grammatically correct, but it is a rhetorical nightmare. Here's version (D):
(D) Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid equation named for him, giving an explanation of the generation of the lift of an airplane’s wing, and made a discovery that led to an early method of measuring blood pressure.

Notice that version (D) is the longest of the five answer choices: that doesn't automatically mean an answer is wrong, but it's always a red flag that deserves our attention. Notice that version (D) is packed with nouns, nouns that are action words ("explanation," "generation"). As a general rule, a sentence is more compact and direct when the action words are in verb form. Putting action words in noun form is a way to make a choice sound bloated, weak, and indirect. For example, why on earth would we say "giving an explanation" rather than simply "explaining"? Even one action-word-as-noun is problematic, but this choice has two in a row! Holy mackerel! Choice (D) seems as if it is trying to win a contest to be the most rambling, verbose, and mealy-mouthed of the five answer choices. Yes, it's 100% grammatically correct, but rhetorically it's such a disaster that it should be taken out back and shot!

Remember that the GMAT SC is NOT purely a test a grammar. Instead, on the GMAT SC, grammar and logic and rhetoric are three equally important strands, and a student can't afford to ignore any of these.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Re: Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid equation named [#permalink]
im still unable to understand why A is incorrect. Firstly, isnt it unidiomatic to say 'named for him'? Secondly, DB deriving a formula to explain the generation of lift seems logical to me as a lay man without physics or history background. So the only reason to eliminate A according to me would be the concentrated adjectives in 'airplane's wing's generation of lift', which seems awkward.

Any correction or clarity on the above would be appreciated.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
OreoShake wrote:
im still unable to understand why A is incorrect. Firstly, isnt it unidiomatic to say 'named for him'? Secondly, DB deriving a formula to explain the generation of lift seems logical to me as a lay man without physics or history background. So the only reason to eliminate A according to me would be the concentrated adjectives in 'airplane's wing's generation of lift', which seems awkward.

Any correction or clarity on the above would be appreciated.

Dear OreoShake,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Think about this structure
{person] did X to do Y
That structure is the infinitive of purpose. It implies intentionality. It implies that the person, in undertaking action X, had the explicit purpose of accomplishing Y.

Consider the sentences:
1) Washington crossed the Delaware to stage a surprise attack on the Hessians.
This first is logical and historically accurate. That's precisely what Washington was trying to do that night.
2) Washington crossed the Delaware to look heroic in a painting.
This one is patently absurd. Yes, one of the many consequences of Washington's action is that, much later, he cut a particularly heroic figure in a painting. Nevertheless, phrasing this with an infinitive of purpose is absurd, because the very last thing on Washington's mind on that stressful evening was how some artist would paint it more than half a century later.

Now, if you think that's absurd, consider (A) from this problem.
Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift, and made a discovery that led to an early method of measuring blood pressure.
Yes, the structure "an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift" is less than ideal and probably would not be part of a correct answer, although it's hard to say whether this alone would disqualify an answer choice. The BIG problem with (A) is the absurd implication of intentionality. You don't have to have advanced technical knowledge about the history of science, but you have to have the basic idea that in the eighteenth century, there were no airplanes. To say that Bernoulli was trying to explain something about airplanes, that one of his explicit intentions in deriving the equation was to explain airplanes, is absurd, because the airplane didn't come into existence until more than a century after his death. There is no way he could have know anything about airplanes, so there is no way he could be trying to explain anything about them. That's the big problem with (A).

Remember, on the GMAT SC, an effective sentence is one in which grammar and logic and rhetoric all work together to produce meaning.

Does this make sense?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift, and made a discovery that led to an early method of measuring blood pressure.
(A) equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift
(B) equation named after him, and this principle explains the lift of an airplane’s wing
(C) equation, named it after himself, explained how an airplane’s wing is generating lift
(D) equation named for him, giving an explanation of the generation of the lift of an airplane’s wing
(E) equation named for him, which explains how an airplane’s wing generates lift

Folks sometimes think of GMAT SC in terms of grammar only, but the SC is as much about logic as it is about grammar. The splits in this question are less about grammatical errors and more about logical problems. For a discussion of logic in GMAT SC questions, more practice questions of this sort, and the OE of this particular question, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/logical-sp ... orrection/

The story of this sentence is about a man named DB, who derived an equation and made a discovery that led to something.

A - Nothing wrong grammatically although the mammoth that are possessive's in this sentence could be avoided. Keep for NOW.
B - 'and this' creates a separate clause, and it's followed by another clause which breaks the entire flow of the sentence. It's better to use a modifier here, to explain what the equation does. OUT.
C - Clearly OUT. I laughed when I read this sentence. He derived an equation, then NAMED it after himself, then explained a phenomena, and finally made a discovery. Fake Parallelism that clearly destroy's the meaning of the sentence. OUT.
D - Extremely verbose. Giving an explanation is redundant. We could just say explains. OUT.
E - Nothing wrong grammatically. KEEP.

Now it's down to A & E.
The comparison is between intention Vs. explanation, so do we need an adverbial phrase to show intent, or a noun-modifier to explain what the equation does.
I chose E because it was more succinct, and later I did realise that airplanes did not exist back in 1700s so there could be no intent on DB's part to explain a wing's lift.

mikemcgarry
My question is with regards to the phrase, "to explain....." in option A. Is that an adverbial modifier?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
akshayk wrote:
mikemcgarry
My question is with regards to the phrase, "to explain....." in option A. Is that an adverbial modifier?

Dear akshayk,

My friend, did you see in the post immediate before yours that I explained that this was an infinitive of purpose. Yes, the infinitive of purpose is one kind of verb modifier, one kind of adverbial modifier. Because it makes clear the purpose of an action, it is always modifying a verb.

It's obvious that you are quite intelligent and have great potential. Before you ask a question on a thread, it's always good to check to what extent that issue already has been discussed. This sort of thoroughness is one of the aspects of asking an excellent question, and of course, that's one of the habits of excellence. Remember: how you do anything is how you do everything.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 1227
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi Mike,
Actually i chose option A, as i didnt know "named for him" is a correct idiom.
Also , "equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift", is n't an example of using inifinity of purpose?, did bernoulli derive the equation to explain the lift. Please help me eliminate option A.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Expert Reply
hellosanthosh2k2 wrote:
Hi Mike,
Actually i chose option A, as i didnt know "named for him" is a correct idiom.
Also , "equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift", is n't an example of using inifinity of purpose?, did bernoulli derive the equation to explain the lift. Please help me eliminate option A.

Dear hellosanthosh2k2,

i"m happy to respond. :-)

First of all, "named for him" and "named after him" are both 100% correct idioms. You may find helpful these free GMAT Idiom Flashcards.

Yes, the phrase "to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift" is an infinitive of purpose. It's also a gorgeously awkward phrase--it's hard for two possessives in a row not to be astonishingly awkward. That's problem #1 with (A), a rhetorical problem. Then problem #2 is the logical problem. The infinitive of purpose implies that the actor had conscious intention to so something. Well, the question very conveniently gives Mr. Bernoulli's dates, in the 18th century. You don't need to have a detailed knowledge of history, but you need to have the gist that there were no airplanes in the eighteen century--airplanes didn't come along to the 20th century, so someone two centuries earlier would have had no knowledge of them and therefore could form no purposes regarding them. Thus, the infinitive of purpose is illogical in (A).

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
mikemcgarry,
why "which" does not refer to fluid?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
chesstitans wrote:
mikemcgarry,
why "which" does not refer to fluid?

Dear chesstitans,

In the construction "fluid equation," we have a pair of nouns in which one is essentially modifying the other. Even though "fluid" is a noun, in a way it is acting like an adjective here. It's subordinate to the second noun, "equation." Because the second noun has rhetorical priority, no modifier would ever pass over it to refer to the first noun.

Rhetorical priority is an underestimated dimension of pronoun-antecedent agreement.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V42
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:

(A) equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift

(B) equation named after him, and this principle explains the lift of an airplane’s wing

(C) equation, named it after himself, explained how an airplane’s wing is generating lift

(D) equation named for him, giving an explanation of the generation of the lift of an airplane’s wing

(E) equation named for him, which explains how an airplane’s wing generates lift

Folks sometimes think of GMAT SC in terms of grammar only, but the SC is as much about logic as it is about grammar. The splits in this question are less about grammatical errors and more about logical problems. For a discussion of logic in GMAT SC questions, more practice questions of this sort, and the OE of this particular question, see:

Okay there a few different things to consider here. I can tell that C is wrong because there is inappropriate parallelism. A is awkward sounding. ‘airplane’s wing’s generation of lift’ sounds strange. In D ‘giving an explanation…’ is modifying ‘named after him, I am pretty sure that it is not correct. Between E and B, E sounds more natural, since B has two ands. I am going to say E is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 108
GRE 1: Q167 V166
Send PM
Is "named for him" a correct idiom?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Sorry I don't get it. How "named for him" is correct. It has to be "named after him" isn't it ? Or we choose E just because rest are more wrong?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
rashwiniyer wrote:
Sorry I don't get it. How "named for him" is correct. It has to be "named after him" isn't it ? Or we choose E just because rest are more wrong?
Both name X after Y and name X for Y are correct.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Send PM
Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid equation named [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:

I don't agree with Mike's argument that "named for him" is a vital modifier. I have solved many official GMAT questions with "vital modifier" and "which" construction, and in all those questions the modifier held information that added value. In the case above, modifier "named for him" adds no such value.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
AKSU2020 wrote:
I don't agree with Mike's argument that "named for him" is a vital modifier. I have solved many official GMAT questions with "vital modifier" and "which" construction, and in all those questions the modifier held information that added value. In the case above, modifier "named for him" adds no such value.
Hi AKSU2020,

But don't you think that we need the named for him bit in order to recognize which "famous fluid equation" the sentence refers to?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Send PM
Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid equation named [#permalink]
AjiteshArun wrote:
AKSU2020 wrote:
Hi AKSU2020,

But don't you think that we need the named for him bit in order to recognize which "famous fluid equation" the sentence refers to?

Hi Ajitesh,

Thanks for your reply!

I think that the use of "the famous equation" and "discovery" made me think more about what the equation does than who it is named for.

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Hello mikemcgarry

Thank you for your great problem and your explanation!

However, I still have a question about the correct answer choice E: doesn't it change the original meaning?

The original version is "explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift" --> it could be: explain what it is, how it is done, why it needs to be done, when it is done, how significant it is, and so on.

But in E, "explains how an airplane’s wing generates lift" changes the meaning to: explain how it is done.

Could you please explain this as I got really confused. Thank you so much!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts