It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 23:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Daniel Bernoulli derived the famous fluid equation

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
10 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4550

Kudos [?]: 8949 [10], given: 111

Daniel Bernoulli derived the famous fluid equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2014, 10:49
10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
45
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

22% (01:08) correct 78% (01:19) wrong based on 1435 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift, and made a discovery that led to an early method of measuring blood pressure.
(A) equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift
(B) equation named after him, and this principle explains the lift of an airplane’s wing
(C) equation, named it after himself, explained how an airplane’s wing is generating lift
(D) equation named for him, giving an explanation of the generation of the lift of an airplane’s wing
(E) equation named for him, which explains how an airplane’s wing generates lift


Folks sometimes think of GMAT SC in terms of grammar only, but the SC is as much about logic as it is about grammar. The splits in this question are less about grammatical errors and more about logical problems. For a discussion of logic in GMAT SC questions, more practice questions of this sort, and the OE of this particular question, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/logical-sp ... orrection/

Mike :-)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8949 [10], given: 111

Magoosh Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Re: Daniel Bernoulli derived the famous fluid equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2014, 01:58
is "equation named for him" a correct idiom ? Even for a logical split are we allowed to use incorrect idioms?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4550

Kudos [?]: 8949 [1], given: 111

Re: Daniel Bernoulli derived the famous fluid equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2014, 16:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
aniketnd01 wrote:
is "equation named for him" a correct idiom ? Even for a logical split are we allowed to use incorrect idioms?

Dear aniketnd01,
That phrase, "equation named for him," is 100% idiomatically correct. Of course, on the GMAT SC, the right answer has to be grammatically correct, idiomatically correct, logically correct, and rhetorically sound all at once. We can never drop one in favor of the other.

What makes you think that phrase is not a correct idiom?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8949 [1], given: 111

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [2], given: 0

WE: Law (Law)
Re: Daniel Bernoulli derived the famous fluid equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2014, 08:24
2
This post received
KUDOS
mikemcgarry wrote:
[color=#0000ff]...and made a discovery that lead to an early method of measuring blood pressure.


Be careful when writing the past tense of the word lead. It is actually led.

All the best...

Kudos [?]: 2 [2], given: 0

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4550

Kudos [?]: 8949 [0], given: 111

Re: Daniel Bernoulli derived the famous fluid equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2014, 10:30
Perchance wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
[color=#0000ff]...and made a discovery that lead to an early method of measuring blood pressure.

Be careful when writing the past tense of the word lead. It is actually led.
All the best...

Dear Perchance,
Many thanks for this astute observation. I corrected this same typo on the original blog, but forgot to correct it here as well ---- I corrected it just now. It's funny: the underlined splits always get far more scrutiny than the non-underlined parts of the sentence, but of course, in the OA, the whole sentence has to be grammatically correct. Thank you for pointing this out, my friend, and best of luck to you!
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8949 [0], given: 111

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Mar 2013
Posts: 10

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge
Re: Daniel Bernoulli derived the famous fluid equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2014, 12:00
Hi,
Doesn't "which" modify "him" rather than "equation"?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4550

Kudos [?]: 8949 [3], given: 111

Re: Daniel Bernoulli derived the famous fluid equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2014, 12:15
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
varunmb wrote:
Hi,
Doesn't "which" modify "him" rather than "equation"?

Dear varunmb,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, the relative pronoun "which" can only refer to an object, not to a person. We would need "who" for a person.

More importantly, the participial phrase "named for him" is a vital noun-modifier, and a vital modifier can come between the noun, "equation," and the non-vital modifier, "which explains how ..." For a thorough explanation of vital noun-modifiers, see this blog:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... modifiers/

Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8949 [3], given: 111

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Posts: 185

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 71

Location: United States (NY)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE: Consulting (Venture Capital)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Daniel Bernoulli derived the famous fluid equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2014, 12:40
you're the man Mike! btw, big fan of your blog!
_________________

MY GMAT BLOG - ADVICE - OPINIONS - ANALYSIS

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 71

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Aug 2013
Posts: 150

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 127

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Re: Daniel Bernoulli derived the famous fluid equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2014, 03:29
hi mike,

can u please tell me what's wrong with option C?

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 127

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4550

Kudos [?]: 8949 [3], given: 111

Re: Daniel Bernoulli derived the famous fluid equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2014, 10:13
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ynk wrote:
hi mike,

can u please tell me what's wrong with option C?

Dear ynk,

I'm happy to respond. :-) First of all, my friend, I am going to chide you for being so informal in your language. With all due respect, you have presented your request the way a child would. Think about it. What if some other user on GMAT Club reads this, and some day is in a position of power --- perhaps someone who might hire you or some partner with whom you will negotiate a deal. What if your casual and sloppy language now makes an impression on that person? My friend, have respect for yourself. Always put your best forward. Especially in a question about GMAT SC, always strive to maintain the same standards the GMAT itself keeps on SC. Always hold yourself to the highest standards -- that is one of the habits of excellence.

As your question --- here's the SC question again:
Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift, and made a discovery that led to an early method of measuring blood pressure.
(A) equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift
(B) equation named after him, and this principle explains the lift of an airplane’s wing
(C) equation, named it after himself, explained how an airplane’s wing is generating lift
(D) equation named for him, giving an explanation of the generation of the lift of an airplane’s wing
(E) equation named for him, which explains how an airplane’s wing generates lift


There are a few problems with (C). First of all, this makes the mistake of false parallelism. You see, Parallelism is not primarily is a grammatical structure: instead, it is primarily a logical structure. The grammar merely reflects the logic. If we get a string of verbs in a sentence, it is not necessarily correct to put them all into parallel unless they logically belong in parallel. The mistake in (C) reflects a very mechanical understanding of Parallelism, thinking only on the level of grammar and not on the level of logic.
The second problem is the a subtle change in meaning --- the prompt tells us that the fluid equation was "named after" Bernoulli, but exactly did that happen? Did Bernoulli create the equation and name it after himself? Or, did he simply publish the fluid equation, and in time, others referred to it as "Bernoulli's Equation"? We don't really know, so we have to leave that ambiguous. Choice (C) explicitly choose the first option, the option that Bernoulli named the equation after himself, and we don't know that this is the case.
There is also a logical problem in putting the verb "explain" in parallel with the others. Yes, the equation explains an airplane's lift. Was Bernoulli himself trying to explain an airplane's lift? NO! He lived well over a century before airplanes were around, so he couldn't possibly have been trying to explain airplanes. This is an example of the logical problems that false parallelism creates.
Finally, the progressive tense "is generating" is 100% awkward and incorrect. That seems to suggest we are taking about a specific airplane wing, perhaps sitting right outside our room. This is not the sense of the sentence. We are talking about airplane wings in general, so we need the general present tense, not the present progressive.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8949 [3], given: 111

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Aug 2013
Posts: 150

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 127

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Re: Daniel Bernoulli derived the famous fluid equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2014, 20:22
mikemcgarry wrote:
ynk wrote:
hi mike,

can u please tell me what's wrong with option C?

Dear ynk,

I'm happy to respond. :-) First of all, my friend, I am going to chide you for being so informal in your language. With all due respect, you have presented your request the way a child would. Think about it. What if some other user on GMAT Club reads this, and some day is in a position of power --- perhaps someone who might hire you or some partner with whom you will negotiate a deal. What if your casual and sloppy language now makes an impression on that person? My friend, have respect for yourself. Always put your best forward. Especially in a question about GMAT SC, always strive to maintain the same standards the GMAT itself keeps on SC. Always hold yourself to the highest standards -- that is one of the habits of excellence.

As your question --- here's the SC question again:
Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift, and made a discovery that led to an early method of measuring blood pressure.
(A) equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift
(B) equation named after him, and this principle explains the lift of an airplane’s wing
(C) equation, named it after himself, explained how an airplane’s wing is generating lift
(D) equation named for him, giving an explanation of the generation of the lift of an airplane’s wing
(E) equation named for him, which explains how an airplane’s wing generates lift


There are a few problems with (C). First of all, this makes the mistake of false parallelism. You see, Parallelism is not primarily is a grammatical structure: instead, it is primarily a logical structure. The grammar merely reflects the logic. If we get a string of verbs in a sentence, it is not necessarily correct to put them all into parallel unless they logically belong in parallel. The mistake in (C) reflects a very mechanical understanding of Parallelism, thinking only on the level of grammar and not on the level of logic.
The second problem is the a subtle change in meaning --- the prompt tells us that the fluid equation was "named after" Bernoulli, but exactly did that happen? Did Bernoulli create the equation and name it after himself? Or, did he simply publish the fluid equation, and in time, others referred to it as "Bernoulli's Equation"? We don't really know, so we have to leave that ambiguous. Choice (C) explicitly choose the first option, the option that Bernoulli named the equation after himself, and we don't know that this is the case.
There is also a logical problem in putting the verb "explain" in parallel with the others. Yes, the equation explains an airplane's lift. Was Bernoulli himself trying to explain an airplane's lift? NO! He lived well over a century before airplanes were around, so he couldn't possibly have been trying to explain airplanes. This is an example of the logical problems that false parallelism creates.
Finally, the progressive tense "is generating" is 100% awkward and incorrect. That seems to suggest we are taking about a specific airplane wing, perhaps sitting right outside our room. This is not the sense of the sentence. We are talking about airplane wings in general, so we need the general present tense, not the present progressive.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)


Thanks Mike.
I will be more cautious next time.

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 127

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Aug 2013
Posts: 150

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 127

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Re: Daniel Bernoulli derived the famous fluid equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2014, 20:28
mikemcgarry wrote:
ynk wrote:
hi mike,

can u please tell me what's wrong with option C?

Dear ynk,

I'm happy to respond. :-) First of all, my friend, I am going to chide you for being so informal in your language. With all due respect, you have presented your request the way a child would. Think about it. What if some other user on GMAT Club reads this, and some day is in a position of power --- perhaps someone who might hire you or some partner with whom you will negotiate a deal. What if your casual and sloppy language now makes an impression on that person? My friend, have respect for yourself. Always put your best forward. Especially in a question about GMAT SC, always strive to maintain the same standards the GMAT itself keeps on SC. Always hold yourself to the highest standards -- that is one of the habits of excellence.

As your question --- here's the SC question again:
Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift, and made a discovery that led to an early method of measuring blood pressure.
(A) equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift
(B) equation named after him, and this principle explains the lift of an airplane’s wing
(C) equation, named it after himself, explained how an airplane’s wing is generating lift
(D) equation named for him, giving an explanation of the generation of the lift of an airplane’s wing
(E) equation named for him, which explains how an airplane’s wing generates lift


There are a few problems with (C). First of all, this makes the mistake of false parallelism. You see, Parallelism is not primarily is a grammatical structure: instead, it is primarily a logical structure. The grammar merely reflects the logic. If we get a string of verbs in a sentence, it is not necessarily correct to put them all into parallel unless they logically belong in parallel. The mistake in (C) reflects a very mechanical understanding of Parallelism, thinking only on the level of grammar and not on the level of logic.
The second problem is the a subtle change in meaning --- the prompt tells us that the fluid equation was "named after" Bernoulli, but exactly did that happen? Did Bernoulli create the equation and name it after himself? Or, did he simply publish the fluid equation, and in time, others referred to it as "Bernoulli's Equation"? We don't really know, so we have to leave that ambiguous. Choice (C) explicitly choose the first option, the option that Bernoulli named the equation after himself, and we don't know that this is the case.
There is also a logical problem in putting the verb "explain" in parallel with the others. Yes, the equation explains an airplane's lift. Was Bernoulli himself trying to explain an airplane's lift? NO! He lived well over a century before airplanes were around, so he couldn't possibly have been trying to explain airplanes. This is an example of the logical problems that false parallelism creates.
Finally, the progressive tense "is generating" is 100% awkward and incorrect. That seems to suggest we are taking about a specific airplane wing, perhaps sitting right outside our room. This is not the sense of the sentence. We are talking about airplane wings in general, so we need the general present tense, not the present progressive.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)


Thanks Mike.
I will be more cautious next time.

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 127

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
D
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4734

Kudos [?]: 18042 [0], given: 1990

Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
#Top150 SC: Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 16:00
Expert's post
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift, and made a discovery that led to an early method of measuring blood pressure.

A. equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift

B. equation named after him, and this principle explains the lift of an airplane’s wing

C. equation, named it after himself, explained how an airplane’s wing is generating lift

D. equation named for him, giving an explanation of the generation of the lift of an airplane’s wing

E. equation named for him, which explains how an airplane’s wing generates lift
_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18042 [0], given: 1990

Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4321

Kudos [?]: 8325 [0], given: 366

Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: #Top150 SC: Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 01:41
In the 18th century, Daniel cold not have explained some airplane’s feature, the plane itself having been invented in the 20th century by the Wrights brothers.

A. equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift --1. A is out because it is out of scope for the above-stated reason 2. An airplane’s wing’s’ is very weird

B. equation named after him, and this principle explains the lift of an airplane’s wing – A past tense clause and then a present tense clause and then again a past tense clause – and two ands to separate three items—all these things make this choice awful.

C. equation, named it after himself, explained how an airplane’s wing is generating lift --1. This is invalid for the same reason as in A. 2. Named it after himself implies that Daniel himself named it after his ownself.

D. equation named for him, giving an explanation of the generation of the lift of an airplane’s wing – The adverbial modifier, ‘giving an explanation of the generation’ modifies Daniel’ deriving the fluid equation; this is logically incorrect.

E. equation named for him, which explains how an airplane’s wing generates lift, --- may be the best since the present tense of the modifier indicates that the reference to the airplane is a thing of present times and that when the modifier when removed still carries the original meaning intact.

Only one doubt though. Is 'named for him', a correct idiom?
_________________

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8325 [0], given: 366

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1199

Kudos [?]: 904 [1], given: 75

Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
#Top150 SC: Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 02:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782)
    derived the famous fluid equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift, and
    made a discovery that led to an early method of measuring blood pressure.

airplane’s wing’s generation.........weird


B. equation named after him, and this principle explains the lift of an airplane’s wing
and this principle refers to equation isntead of Bernoulli principle
use of and in modifier phrase appears incorrect
x and y and z structure is also not proper.


C. equation, named it after himself, explained how an airplane’s wing is generating lift
forced parallelism is shown here.
Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782)
  • derived the famous fluid equation,
  • named it after himself,
  • explained how an airplane’s wing is generating lift and
  • made a discovery that led to an early method of measuring blood pressure.

All these are not different successive events but interrelated. Incorrect choice.


D. equation named for him, giving an explanation of the generation of the lift of an airplane’s wing...........
he derived equation by
    giving an explanation of wing lift and
    made a discovery
This does not make sense for me.
......

E. equation named for him, which explains how an airplane’s wing generates lift......

Daniel Bernoulli (1700 - 1782)
    derived the famous fluid equation named for him, which explains how an airplane’s wing generates lift, and
    made a discovery that led to an early method of measuring blood pressure.

made a discovery correctly refers to Daniel Bernouli
Thanks Mike

_________________

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.


My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265


Last edited by Nevernevergiveup on 22 Oct 2015, 10:00, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 904 [1], given: 75

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Status: One Last Shot !!!
Joined: 04 May 2014
Posts: 254

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 142

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 SC: Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 02:34
daagh wrote:
In the 18th century, Daniel cold not have explained some airplane’s feature, the plane itself having been invented in the 20th century by the Wrights brothers.

A. equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift --1. A is out because it is out of scope for the above-stated reason 2. An airplane’s wing’s’ is very weird

B. equation named after him, and this principle explains the lift of an airplane’s wing – A past tense clause and then a present tense clause and then again a past tense clause – and two ands to separate three items—all these things make this choice awful.

C. equation, named it after himself, explained how an airplane’s wing is generating lift --1. This is invalid for the same reason as in A. 2. Named it after himself implies that Daniel himself named it after his ownself.

D. equation named for him, giving an explanation of the generation of the lift of an airplane’s wing – The adverbial modifier, ‘giving an explanation of the generation’ modifies Daniel’ deriving the fluid equation; this is logically incorrect.

E. equation named for him, which explains how an airplane’s wing generates lift, --- may be the best since the present tense of the modifier indicates that the reference to the airplane is a thing of present times and that when the modifier when removed still carries the original meaning intact.

Only one doubt though. Is 'named for him', a correct idiom?


Hey daagh, quick questions on E:
1) What does 'Which' modify? I thought it modifies 'Him'
2) Who explains- the equation or the Mr. Daniel?
3) Your explanation for B- "A past tense clause and then a present tense clause.. ". Doesnt it apply here? Derived.. explains ??

Please reconsider :)
_________________

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 142

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Status: One Last Shot !!!
Joined: 04 May 2014
Posts: 254

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 142

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 SC: Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 02:47
A for me:

1) Eliminating D and E:
Wrong usage 'named for him', i think 'named after him' is better.
D and E are out

2) Eliminating B and C
B. equation named after him, and this principle explains the lift of an airplane’s wing
What does 'this' refer to? There is no 'Principle'.
Tens issue- Derived... Named... Explains

C. equation, named it after himself, explained how an airplane’s wing is generating lift
the parallel construction with commas gives a list of below three items-
i) Derived the equation
ii) Named it
iii) Explained
This indicated that the 'Explanation' was independent of 'Derivation'. This is not true. The explanation was a result of derivation.

A is the best choice.

Please correct me if im wrong.
_________________

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 142

Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4321

Kudos [?]: 8325 [0], given: 366

Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: #Top150 SC: Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 03:04
arhumsid


1) What does 'Which' modify? I thought it modifies ‘Him’ --- which cannot modify a person or a personal pronoun. It no doubt points to the equation; it may be noted that there is no other noun it can modify logically.
2) Who explains- the equation or the Mr. Daniel? --- Where is the word ‘who’ in the choice? I didn’t get you.

3) Your explanation for B- "A past tense clause and then a present tense clause. “ Doesn’t it apply here? Derived. explains ?? I did not get this point also.
I only said that this sentence construction is awful since there is no uniformity in the use of tenses. The first sentence is in past tense and the second sentence is in present tense and the third is again in past tense. In addition, when there are three items, only the last item should be separated by an ‘and’ Thirdly, if the derived equation explains the airplane thing, then it is wrong for the logic explained about the chronology of events.
On the contrary, In E, the modifier is in present tense. This means that other modern people have derived the conclusion about the airplane wing presently.
_________________

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8325 [0], given: 366

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Status: One Last Shot !!!
Joined: 04 May 2014
Posts: 254

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 142

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 SC: Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 04:25
daagh wrote:
arhumsid


1) What does 'Which' modify? I thought it modifies ‘Him’ --- which cannot modify a person or a personal pronoun. It no doubt points to the equation; it may be noted that there is no other noun it can modify logically.
2) Who explains- the equation or the Mr. Daniel? --- Where is the word ‘who’ in the choice? I didn’t get you.

3) Your explanation for B- "A past tense clause and then a present tense clause. “ Doesn’t it apply here? Derived. explains ?? I did not get this point also.
I only said that this sentence construction is awful since there is no uniformity in the use of tenses. The first sentence is in past tense and the second sentence is in present tense and the third is again in past tense. In addition, when there are three items, only the last item should be separated by an ‘and’ Thirdly, if the derived equation explains the airplane thing, then it is wrong for the logic explained about the chronology of events.
On the contrary, In E, the modifier is in present tense. This means that other modern people have derived the conclusion about the airplane wing presently.


Sorry for being unclear. Here are the doubts:
1) Usage of which: Which modifies the entity it follows. It can never modify clauses. And, it can never modify people (Please correct me if im wrong)
in option E "equation named for him, which explains"
Isnt 'Which' wrongly modifying 'him' when it should be modifying 'Equation'?

2) Now, if, after your explanation of point 1 above, we conclude that 'which' correctly refers to 'equation' and not to 'him', E wrongly suggests that the equation explains how.... But equation is not the one who explains, Mr. Bernoulli is (through this equation), right?

3) (We will skip the tense part as im more worried about the above two issues)

Please let me know where i am going wrong
Thanks!
_________________

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 142

Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4321

Kudos [?]: 8325 [0], given: 366

Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: #Top150 SC: Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 06:55
@ arhunsid


Sorry for being unclear. Here are the doubts:

1) Usage of which: Which modifies the entity it follows. It can never modify clauses. And, it can never modify people (Please correct me if I’m wrong) ----- ‘Which’ always modifies the noun entity before and not what it follows. Even in that touch rule, there is some flexibility. ‘Which’ need not always modify the noun just in front, but sometimes a noun a few more words before.

in option E "equation named for him, which explains"

Isn't 'Which' wrongly modifying 'him' when it should be modifying 'Equation'? --- No. "which" is not modifying him; it is only modifying equations, because of logic.

2) Now, if, after your explanation of point 1 above, we conclude that 'which' correctly refers to 'equation' and not to 'him', E wrongly suggests that the equation explains how.... But equation is not the one who explains, Mr. Bernoulli is (through this equation), right? --- No you are reading too much. Equation can explain. Why not? We do accept the theory: The Sun is the centre of the Solar system. We don’t even bother to know who the author of this theory is. So equation explaining some bla bla is acceptable.
HTH
_________________

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8325 [0], given: 366

Re: #Top150 SC: Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2015, 06:55

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 44 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Daniel Bernoulli derived the famous fluid equation

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.