SORT BY
Most helpful
SORT BY Interview date
Recent interviewed
SORT BY Post date
Recent posted
Debrief posted on  Nov 10 2019 [#permalink] Darden, Full Time MBA
On Campus Interviewed on: Oct 25 2019 Final Decision: Interviewed

"I was interviewed by a second year in round 1. The interview invite came on 10/21 with options for the next four Fridays. No surprises, very conversational after my interviewer introduced himself. 1) Chronological history for 10-15 mins 2) Team environment and major projects 3) Why MBA? 4) Why Darden? 5) What do you do apart from work? 6) Anything that I didn't ask but you want to tell me about? Q&A. Interview lasted for 45 Mins."

mdbates93 from United States GMAT 740; WE: 65 months; Manufacturing
0 out of 0 people found this Debrief helpful.

Was this Debrief helpful for you?

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Oct 04 2019 [#permalink] Darden, Full Time MBA
Skype Interviewed on: Sep 19 2019 Final Decision: Denied with Interview

"Hello there Darden seekers Or people who just want to get in. I was Interviewed by Marc Paulo Guzman, the diversity champion at Darden. I even remember the questions that I was asked but I'm unsure if I am allowed to tell. Anyhow, the questions were quite general. I didn't get much time to speak out an example in each case as interview felt kind of rushed and ended in 28 mins. 20 mins of mine and then I asked a few questions. Remember, Darden is just a "public school" copy of Harvard so its only obvious that they are looking for people with "Case Study Compatibility". Can't tell you a lot but every sentence I've written is carefully worded and if you pay close attention, you'll leverage every information I've provided. To Indians, I'd say, Keep your communication skills at peak, don't fumble, don't look like a scared man who just had a visit with Hitler's Ghost (Unless you like Hitler's Ghost, any regular Ghost would do too), smile (check interviewers reactions to your answers but don't change your expression) and be the best version of yourself, no detail is too less, and finally,Get a great GMAT score as almost all the Indian students I spoke to asked me to raise mine. I cannot raise it as I've finished the material, all of it, but if you have a chance to touch a 730, just get that, attempts do not count as long as under 4. To other international applicants, I'd try to differentiate myself with a less cliche profile e.g. Indian IT engineer or a great academic and GMAT score. Apply in early action as it does give you a chance to interview, that way you get a chance to present yourself better. Unlike other B-School applications, Darden is non-Binding. However, there is a 1000 USD extra that you need to submit as deposit but guys, it is totally worth it. Darden has the best learning experience as suggested by its consistent rankings. Unfortunately there are not a lot of student events so this school doesn't get to shine. But when it comes to rankings, it is followed right by Berkeley and LA in Public rankings. Leverage this info and find out more when/if they are you, why us? Why Darden is an important parameter before you apply to Darden. Know that you'll fit. The curriculum is very rigorous and they complete about 600 cases each year. That is a lot given that you've not been in touch with academics for say 2-3 or more years. I prepared 6-7 stories but I couldn't get a chance to tell all of those. But hey, you can do that. I've seen people say that interviews lasted for 45 mins, that can be you. May be they didn't like me or may be they made up their mind in 15 mins of talking to me. Know the school, leverage every information by placing yourself in that scenario and think, 'will I fit', if you do, make sure you put that information up somewhere in the message during interview."

Businessconquerer from India GMAT 700; WE: 28 months; Real Estate

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Oct 03 2019 [#permalink] Darden, Full Time MBA
Skype Interviewed on: Sep 16 2019

"I was interviewed by Adcom member in Early Action round. It was self Initiated interview. It was very conversational interview and along the lines of interview experiences shared by other gmatclub members here. So there was no surprise. 1) First she asked me to share my life experiences in 10-15 mins 2) After that tell me about a time when you worked in a team environment. 3) Why MBA? 4) Why Darden? 5) What do you do apart from work? Finally I was given opportunity to ask couple of questions. Interview lasted for 45 Mins and really enjoyed the interaction with adcom."

This user wants to stay Private from India GMAT 750; Energy and Utilities

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 25 2019 [#permalink] Darden, Full Time MBA
Skype Interviewed on: Nov 14 2018 Final Decision: Admitted

"I interviewed with one of the adcom members over skype. The interview was completely blind - the interviewer knows only your name and doesn't even have access to your resume. Hence, it's totally up to you how you drive the conversation. The interviewer generally starts by telling some key points that they want to discuss and then it's you who talk for a few minutes. I would advise the following: 1. The introduction part can go long because they want to know you in detail. Make it interesting, tell about your story - why you are here and what you plan on doing going ahead. 2. Be unique - As you would be driving the conversation, be sure to make it interesting for the adcom member by telling traits that you find are unique to you. They would then want to talk about you as a person in detail. 3. Be sure you have done your research. You should be able to talk about 'Why Darden' not just academically, but also as a cultural fit. Know what all Darden has to offer and how you plan to contribute. 4. Some basic behavioral questions - work-related conflicts and how you handled them, leadership stories, etc. My interview went on for an hour (these can range anywhere between 30-60 mins). It was very conversational and felt like one of the best interviews I gave during the admission process. My last suggestion would be to really be yourself and make the conversation interesting. They really want to know you as a person and are not here to judge you."

vg9 from India WE: 60 months;

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Oct 07 2018 [#permalink] Darden
Skype Interviewed on: Oct 03 2018

"Thing to note - The interviews for Early Applicants at Darden are blind, please check if it is the same for other rounds as well. The interview was very straightforward. As it was a blind interview, the interviewer did not have idea or knowledge about my profile. He asked me to explain my story from the beginning. After that, it was general questions about why I want to pursue an MBA, why Darden and what attracted me to Darden."

This user wants to stay Private from India GMAT 720; WE: 40 months; Investment Banking

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Sep 27 2018 [#permalink] Darden
Skype Interviewed on: Sep 26 2018 Final Decision: Interviewed

"So i had my Darden interview yesterday. It went exactly like all the other interview debriefs. Started off with tell me something about your family. Then childhood and college (more specifically extracurricular). I was also asked why engineering, this is primarily because my background is in biotechnology so she asked why not become a doctor etc. Then we talked about professional life. She asked how you managed teams from different cultures and background The Why MBA and Why Darden? Then we talked about life outside work - we even talked about Harry Potter because i said that i am reading that currently. In summary, the interviewer is looking for a conversation and gives you ample opportunity to tell her who you are in person outside of your essays. What is it that makes you special - i have consulting experience and team management experience so i made sure i drove those points really well. My interview lasted for about 32 mins and that includes the questions i had for her. It was an amazing conversation and i couldn't get enough of it. It wasn't like i was speaking to the person for the first time. My suggestion would be to say whatever you love and if the interviewer loves that too then there comes out a personal connection - in my case that was Harry Potter (never thought that reading it will help me in an interview) And most importantly, i believe because i was calm the conversation happened naturally and i told her more things (on a personal front) than i had imagined. All the best!"

rahu6ubt from India GMAT 740; WE: 50 months; Consulting

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Sep 13 2018 [#permalink] Darden
Skype Interviewed on: Sep 13 2018 Final Decision: Admitted from WL

"Just had interview on skype with adcom member. It was more of a conversation than an interview. It went for 45 minutes and the interviewer was really sweet and calm. Question are as below. 1. Lets talk about your early life. How you grew, you college decision and degree, activities in college etc. 2. Tell me about the transition from college to work and everything related to your work. 3. Why MBA? Why Darden? 4. Tell me about when you worked on teams and led teams. 5. Questions for me. It was overall really smooth. After a long time I was able to talk heart out about my passion and what I want to do with my life."

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Sep 07 2018 [#permalink] Darden
On Campus Interviewed on: Aug 30 2018 Final Decision: Admitted

"Doing any research, you'll see that Darden is known for asking one question: "tell me about yourself." This still holds true and is what my interview centered on. They're not there to grill you on bullet points in your resume, they want to hear from you what's been important professionally and personally in your life. As you tell them about what you have been up to and your story, the interviewer will stop you and ask questions. This went on for about 25-30 minutes and then it was my turn to ask questions, which they will give you until the 45 minute mark to do so. Getting to campus is pretty straight forward (just map it), and I would recommend staying at the Inn at Darden if you are nervous about running late since it's on campus. Parking is very easy. The deck, which they'll instruct you to park at, is right by the admissions office. Traffic isn't bad in Charlottesville, so as long as you know how long it'll take to get to campus and aim to arrive at Darden 20-30 minutes before your interview, you'll be fine."

This user wants to stay Private from United States GMAT 720; WE: 40 months; Consulting

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 08 2018 [#permalink] Darden
Off Campus with Adcom Interviewed on: Nov 13 2017 Final Decision: Admitted

"Hi Everyone! I tried to find feedback on interviews that happened on Google Campus last year for Darden, but no luck. It looks like they just started this option in 2016. There were about 30 prospective students who attended in total. We did both an interview and a mock case discussion with one of their GREAT professors! The case study material was given to us 48 hours in advance. No need to understand the whole industry or business, but I spent quite a bit of time researching other case studies and the history of the specific company so I could at least add some credible knowledge to the conversation. In regards to the interview, I want to start out by giving my general feedback on reports I've seen about interviews with alumni or schools that typically have a more "laid-back" interview process. As I read through them, I notice the undertone of those assessments is VERY casual. Although that might be the case for that person, I want those who have interviews coming up to PREPARE like it will NOT be casual. As a re-applicant, I realized my interview preparation was poor last year. I thought I could briefly go over my storyline/professional history and just kind of "wing-it" as most of the questions were behavioral and about my current job, which I know the ins and outs of. Not the right approach! I can confidently say it's best to prepare for the worst. The other thing is, you do NOT get to pick who you interview with. There may be some interviewers who you will connect with immediately and almost effortlessly be able to speak well with. That would be great, but don't expect that. EXPECT that the person you meet with will be the hardest type of interviewer. EXPECT someone who is going to grill you and seeks to find a reason why you shouldn't be admitted. Then if you get someone who you connect with, no sweat. You got this! Going through interviews this year, I tightened up my understanding of not just the school, but my story, who I am, and how everything I’ve done until this day has prepared me for business school. In doing so, I made sure to over-prepare for every interview. I started doing mock interviews on my phone, with parents, and with friends. With every interview I got better and my answers became crisper. To a point it was just a common response. It is true that some interviews may truly have been very laid-back and not much preparation was needed. For those that had this experience, I think that’s great and this may not apply so much to you. However, I think for the majority of people it will benefit to over-prepare because when it comes time to interview, you want to fall back on your naturally prepared answers to get you comfortable in the moment. Nerves will come up at some point prior to meeting your interview. It happens to everyone. Even the best! In regards to the interview, the person I had was nice, very positive, and had a background in consulting, which is what I'm planning to transition into. Darden REALLY puts you in the driver seat for this interview. I heard the same thing from everyone who talked about their experience that day. They start out with asking you to tell you about yourself, I.E., from the beginning of your life to present day. That's much different than other interviews. Overall though, I led the conversation a majority of the time, which is NOT easy if you don't really know why you want to go to Darden. Being a top school for me, it felt easier in the driver seat, but that may not be the case for other schools I don't know as well. My advice would be to go into that interview thinking that if you started school tomorrow, you have a clear picture of what campus activities/engagements you want to be involved in. Below are the questions as I remember them (Not in the exact order): 1. Tell me about yourself (About 10-15 minutes. Much longer than other interviews.) 2. What made you choose the focus for your undergraduate program? (Mine is business) 3. How did you get interested in business to know that's what you wanted to go into? 4. Tell me about a situation in which you were very different from the people you interacted with. 5. What's your long-term career goal? 6. Why Darden? 7. Tell me about a time you were a leader? 8. Do you have any questions for me? Hope that's helpful. The interview lasted about 40-45 minutes. Good luck to everyone!!"

cshector from United States GMAT 710;

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 08 2018 [#permalink] Darden
On Campus Interviewed on: Nov 13 2017 Final Decision: Matriculating

"I'll just briefly go over my interview day at Darden (In-person) so that those who have their interviews upcoming know what to expect. 1. My interview was at 9:00 am. I arrived at about 745 thinking it might take some time to get a permit, park, and make my way to the admissions office. It took about 5 minutes total so I got there very early. Prior to the interview, the school has bagels, tea, coffee set out for the interviewees as well as 1-3 current first year students to mingle with. It was very laid back as we discussed anything from why they chose Darden to how difficult it is to get UVA basketball tickets. 2. My interviewer (second year student) greeted me in the office and took me back to a conference room. She informed me that she had not seen my application and did not want to see my resume. I understand this is the case for all interviewed prospective students. She basically said the purpose was for her to learn who I am through me talking about my life experiences. I started with childhood and went all the way up to my current job. She would interject every so often to ask a follow up to something I said or to get clarification. After covering myself, she asked the questions I feel that every admissions office asks (why an MBA/why Darden/etc). Then we had a few minutes for me to ask her questions. Overall it was very conversational and I would say the MBA essays you've written to this point would prepare you pretty well for this interview. The other prospective students I met that day all had similar opinions of the interview. 3. After the interview, there were various activities/presentations at Darden. I went on a tour, sat in brief presentations from Financial Aid and Career Services, and had lunch with current first year students. I interviewed on a friday so there were no class visits. I strongly recommend checking out these presentations/tours as I really felt like I learned a lot and got a better feel for the school. To me, the people you'll be surrounded by are equally as important as the school itself. Overall, I would say I had a very good experience on my interview day and it was a relatively stress-free time. If you know yourself and why you want to go to Darden, you'll be fine!"

bigo2398 from United States GMAT 730; Energy and Utilities

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 01 2018 [#permalink] Darden
Skype Interviewed on: Mar 07 2016 Final Decision: Waitlisted with Interview

"Just had my Darden interview with an adcom member. Overall a good experience. Questions: - - - Tell about yourself, your childhood, your interests and family. - - - Interesting experiences in college. - - - Why the specific field. - - - Tell about your work experience. - - - A surprise at work place. - - - Goals - - - Why MBA and why Now? - - - Why Darden? She was very receptive of all my answers and showed genuine interest in getting to know me by asking follow up questions on whatever I shared. And now the wait begins!!! All The Best everyone."

Manali21 from India Investment Banking

yes
no
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Mar 07 2016 Final Decision: Admitted

"I recently had an interview with an alumni interviewer - Very fantastic conversation. I felt like I was able to showcase my background sufficiently, and demonstrate my critical thinking skills. Questions to prep for: - Tell me about your background. - Why MBA, why Darden, why now? - What have you done to find out more about Darden? - What do you think about... / Why did you decide to do...? (Got 2-3 questions like this on current affairs, my background, application process) - How would you be involved at Darden? - What do you consider your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness? - What are your interests?"

SGtoMBA from Singapore GMAT 710; Commercial Banking

yes
no
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Mar 07 2016 Final Decision: Admitted

"Its appropriate that I post my experience since others have posted theirs. Indian. Bangalore. Alum Interview. ex-Mckinsey. One of the most intelligent guys I have come across in my life. Mine started with tell me about yourself. By the second sentence we started meandering into other topics like politics, business, political science, technology and some amount of B school folklore. By the time we came back to the original thread, an hour had passed.After that he spoke about his Darden experience. He ended the interview with "You have a lot of insights". Really jovial guy. One of those genuinely good fellows who will make you feel good about yourself after coming across them and extremely knowledgeable. Really speaks volumes about the Darden community. Keeping my fingers crossed."

indraban from India GMAT 760; Retail

yes
no
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Feb 18 2015 Final Decision: Admitted

"Just had my interview yesterday with a current student, everything really went well. Interview lasted for 36 minutes. 1)So tell me about yourself 2)How have you had to deal with conflict at work 3)Why MBA (now) 4)why darden This was followed by him selling me the school I asked questions on weather students had access to notable alumni, he said yes I asked if professors were involved in industry he said there is a 60-40 split I asked about funding he reeled out opportunities for scholarships I think my interviewer was just a good guy Hope this helps! Good luck to all!"

nnamdi from Nigeria GMAT 670; Energy and Utilities

yes
no