GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 23 Jan 2020, 18:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Data Analytics and Wharton

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Data Analytics and Wharton  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 01:49
Hi all!
I am applying to Wharton for 2017 intake. I currently lead a Data Analytics team and I myself have worked a lot on Data Analytics in investment banking in one of the top IBs
I am also CFA level 3 candidate (result in 2 days! :D) and I am pursuing the Udacity Nano Degree in Data Analytics.

Does Wharton love Data Analytics type? It has a lot going on in the Analytics space with its Wharton Customer Analytics Initiative.

Any current students or alum who are into Data- Can you please comment on how Adcom views such profiles?

Thanks
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V28
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Data Analytics and Wharton  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2016, 18:11
I definitely think Analytics abilities will help you out a lot, because Wharton is a quant. school.
Admissionado
D
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Data Analytics and Wharton  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 18:34
Data analytics is an increasing focus at Wharton. Human capital analytics (determining the best compensation structure, performance management system, organizational structure, etc.) is of special interest. The analytics majors are flexible and are often very doable as a second major with an operations-type major or a statistics-type major or management-type major since these courses are often cross-listed as multiple departments and can therefore be used towards multiple majors.

The analytics coursework at Wharton is simulations-heavy. There are several courses where 50-100% of your grade is determined by your outcome in the sim rather than a traditional final exam. Some people love it since they seem to think that these classes require less outside preparation and some people feel like they have less control over the outcome than a traditional exam. Most agree that this type of testing is more representative of real-time big data analytics challenges that students will one day face at work than traditional problem-sets and written exams.

If you are applying to Wharton thinking that you'll take analytics courses, be sure to be specific about how you plan to use analytics in your near and long-term MBA plans (this is explicitly asked about in Wharton's essay prompt).

Here is Wharton's analytics page in case it's helpful to read more about what distinguishes their big-data focus from other schools: https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/analytics/
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Data Analytics and Wharton   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2019, 18:34

Data Analytics and Wharton

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: xprometheusx