GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 07:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Dean of Talentia College: For the past few years, the reputation of ou

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Premium Member
Dean of Talentia College: For the past few years, the reputation of ou  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 23:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

76% (01:11) correct 24% (01:16) wrong based on 176 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Dean of Talentia College: For the past few years, the reputation of our college has been declining, because of which we are now able to fill in only 70% of the total available seats. If more research work is done in the college, it will create more visibility and hence more students will start applying to our college. Accordingly, we will be able to increase the student count.

Which of the following, if true, raises the most serious doubt regarding the effectiveness of the Dean’s plan in increasing the student count at the college?

A. Increase in research will lead to increased expenditure to compensate for which the college will have to in turn increase the tuition fee that is already considered quite high by applicants.

B. To maintain the required teacher-student ratio, the college will have to hire many new professors.

C. Almost 10% of the student applications are rejected by the college each year.

D. Another college in the area that offers the same courses as Talentia was unsuccessful in increasing its visibility by increasing its engagement in research work.

E. The Government will not increase the funding for Talentia, even if the college increases the research work it is doing.

I don't really get why D can't be the answer. I've seen OG questions where examples such as these are used as strengtheners. Please provide an explanation.
ISB, NUS, NTU Moderator
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Dean of Talentia College: For the past few years, the reputation of ou  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2018, 00:07
Quote:
(A) Increase in research will lead to increased expenditure to compensate for which the college will have to in turn increase the tuition fee that is already considered quite high by applicants.

(D)Another college in the area that offers the same courses as Talentia was unsuccessful in increasing its visibility by increasing its engagement in research work.

I am no expert, but I will try to help you out.

You are right when you say D is a potential answer, but we have to choose the answer choice that weakens the Dean's plan the most.

Quote:
Which of the following, if true, raises the most serious doubt regarding the effectiveness of the Dean’s plan in increasing the student count at the college?

When you analyze e D, you will see that there are a lot of uncertainties involved: You dont know if there are any other factors that come into play. Probably, Talentia's research result was plagiarized, or they might be famous for producing incorrect results from research..

Perhaps, in the absence of Option A, this could have been an answer.

~R.
If my post was of any help to you, You can thank me in the form of Kudos!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Re: Dean of Talentia College: For the past few years, the reputation of ou  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2018, 09:49
sandman13 wrote:
Dean of Talentia College: For the past few years, the reputation of our college has been declining, because of which we are now able to fill in only 70% of the total available seats. If more research work is done in the college, it will create more visibility and hence more students will start applying to our college. Accordingly, we will be able to increase the student count.

A. Increase in research will lead to increased expenditure to compensate for which the college will have to in turn increase the tuition fee that is already considered quite high by applicants.

B. To maintain the required teacher-student ratio, the college will have to hire many new professors.

C. Almost 10% of the student applications are rejected by the college each year.

D. Another college in the area that offers the same courses as Talentia was unsuccessful in increasing its visibility by increasing its engagement in research work.

E. The Government will not increase the funding for Talentia, even if the college increases the research work it is doing.

I don't really get why D can't be the answer. I've seen OG questions where examples such as these are used as strengtheners. Please provide an explanation.
Hey sandman13

I also used to have a tough time with these strengtheners. I went through a couple of such questions and noticed a common thing. If none of the other options make sense, we can choose D type of answer. On the flip side, if you think any other option make sense, go for it instead of D type of answers. I know it sounds weird but that's my personal experience. Sometimes explanation says that we can't compare situations of two different places and sometimes explanations takes the opposite road.

Thank you = Kudos

Thank you =Kudos
The best thing in life lies on the other side of the pain.

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 06:03
sandman13 wrote:

let me try to explain
let's just name other college as X
now earlier college X has research work of 10
now they have increased it to 11
although research work has increased in theory but in reality it is just 1% increase which would hardly have any effect on college visibility
hence it can't be a sure shot weakner

plus there might be other reason why college X was not able to improve student count which have not been discussed here
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2018, 22:28
sandman13 wrote:

I agree with the fact that I have also seen some OG questions where some other examples (in this case, other college) have been correct in weaken questions. Also I feel that in A, in order for it to be correct, we have to assume that students will not pay for the tuition fees. Even though tuition fees are already considered high, there can be some students who will nonetheless apply and join. Please help GMATNinja.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2018, 10:21
We need to find an answer choice that says that even if more research work is done that may not necessarily lead to an increase in student count.
Answer choice A says that an increase in research will directly impact the fees that the college charges to it's students. Hence even if the college gets visibility, students may not join the college as it is costlier now.

Choice D is incorrect - it may have been the answer if there were no better choices, but in that case the question quality would be sub standard.
Even if a similar plan in the same area did not work for some college that doesn't necessarily mean that it will not work for others. These are all sweeping statements that many people make but these in all likelihood are considered incorrect on the GMAT.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2018, 22:33
sandman13 wrote:

D is a classical trap answer and in many GMAT questions one of the answer on a plan will be similar to this....We are not sure if Another college is similar to Talentia and hence can't make the assumption that what worked for another college works for Talentia....we need this assumption to be true in order to prove the plan will not be successful...A hits the reasoning well as it points out a current problem which college is not addressing rather proposing a different solution...
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Dean of Talentia College: For the past few years, the reputation of ou &nbs [#permalink] 07 Sep 2018, 22:33

Dean of Talentia College: For the past few years, the reputation of ou

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap