Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [14]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [0]
Given Kudos: 207
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q163 V154
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Debrief - 710 (A 70-point improvement) [#permalink]
Congratulations! :-D That's a good score!
Yes, you are familiar to most of us! I followed you when GMATNinja mentioned you in one of the wednesday chat! And could he be more right!?! Your comments do help people like us.

I need to improve from 650 to 720+. And need RC (which pulled my score down in first exam) to improve. How to improve on RC is still unsolved question-even in Souvik's and GMATNinja's guides to RC. Strategy is set-reading the passage without skimming. But when it comes down to answering, there are always 2 options which are close as hell.
    How did you practise RC and from where?

How did you decide on section order? I am thinking of Verbal first. I think my drop of 60 points from my mocks to GMAT (had been scoring 710 in all of my mocks) is due to mental fatigue which I didn't felt at the time of test. Took Veritas CAT this way (V-Q-IR-AWA) few days back and scored 690 V34 (yes got 1 complete RC wrong-that's 4 questions!). Don't want to waste CATs on trying out section orders. Did you try out different section orders before selecting one?

Which schools and programs are you targeting, what is your post-MBA goal, and are you thinking of hiring an admission consultant?

I do read your posts, whatever I get in "Daily Follow Summary", as and when time permits. You are good! :)
Good Luck with the applications! And congratulations! :woohoo
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi LucyP,

That's OUTSTANDING news! A 710 is an outstanding score (it's right around the 90th percentile overall), so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. Have you thought about which Programs you want to apply to? If you're interested, we have a 'go-to' Admissions Expert who we recommend for anyone who's planning to apply to any highly-competitive Programs - and as an EMPOWERgmat Alum, we can set you up with a free consultation. Just let any of the Team know and we'll help set it up.

Congrats again on all of your success so far!

Another GMAT Assassin has been made!
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
AkshayKS21 wrote:
Congratulations! :-D That's a good score!
Yes, you are familiar to most of us! I followed you when GMATNinja mentioned you in one of the wednesday chat! And could he be more right!?! Your comments do help people like us.

I need to improve from 650 to 720+. And need RC (which pulled my score down in first exam) to improve. How to improve on RC is still unsolved question-even in Souvik's and GMATNinja's guides to RC. Strategy is set-reading the passage without skimming. But when it comes down to answering, there are always 2 options which are close as hell.
    How did you practise RC and from where?

How did you decide on section order? I am thinking of Verbal first. I think my drop of 60 points from my mocks to GMAT (had been scoring 710 in all of my mocks) is due to mental fatigue which I didn't felt at the time of test. Took Veritas CAT this way (V-Q-IR-AWA) few days back and scored 690 V34 (yes got 1 complete RC wrong-that's 4 questions!). Don't want to waste CATs on trying out section orders. Did you try out different section orders before selecting one?

Which schools and programs are you targeting, what is your post-MBA goal, and are you thinking of hiring an admission consultant?

I do read your posts, whatever I get in "Daily Follow Summary", as and when time permits. You are good! :)
Good Luck with the applications! And congratulations! :woohoo

Hi Akshay,

Ah yes, I remember conversation with you in Wednesday chat too :)

Reading was a nerve-wracking to me, I must admit that. I found out this problem came from my indecent reading skill. (Imagine that we, non-native speakers, read only English newspapers (especially not in a regular basis), while native speakers have spent more than 16 years of reading academic books and other sorts.). Therefore, one of the "must things" is to improve my reading skill. As I mentioned above (in response to Arpit), I read The Economist, and some academic papers (about Organization Management) handed from my mentor. Those 2 are main sources. Besides, I also read, though not so often, other ones, such as HBR Tip, etc. Btw if you want to read technical papers, you can look at this - https://www.academicjournals.org/journal/AJAR. Talking about sources practice, I put my trust on OG and GMAT Prep questions.

I think in RC and CR, we almost always find 2 choices really tempting. Regarding RC, I find it useful to take down. Right after taking down all paragraph, I summarize passage purpose (in my own words). And this helps me solve almost all purpose question. Relating to other types of questions (details or inference), thanks to prior summarization, I often narrow down to 2 choices. Then I will take a look again on the sentences where the issue is mentioned to find out what is incorrect answer. As per my experience, wrong choices usually mention one correct point while twisting/distorting another point. That's why I must carefully look again at the passage to confirm which option is wrong.

I try out 2 choices (Q-V-IR-AWA) and (V-Q-IR-AWA). The new policy is a valuable chance to dropping the nerve of stamina for Verbal, so I definitely chose either Quant or Verbal first. As you can see in my debrief, finally I chose the order Q-V-IR-AWA, since a good beginning (Quant) was expected to boost my spirit, thus motivating my performance in Verbal. Hence, the second session, when Verbal came, seems to be not too late, so I thought I would still be conscious at that time. If you are quite confident with your ability Quant, you can consider this order. However, just try out all the choices in practice, so that you'll know which one is more suitable to you. (You can ask experts here about Veritas CAT. If the test is reliable to a particular extent, then you can try only another test in Q-V-IR-AWA order.)
I would like to pursue an MBA/MS program in Business Analytics/ Data Analysis. But I am quite fresh and work experience is quite limited. Do you have any suggestions? I don't aim high in school ranking.

Not yet consider whether I will hire a admission consulting. Hey how about you? Any idea about which schools, programs, and admission consulting?

Hope to hear from you soon. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi LucyP,

That's OUTSTANDING news! A 710 is an outstanding score (it's right around the 90th percentile overall), so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. Have you thought about which Programs you want to apply to? If you're interested, we have a 'go-to' Admissions Expert who we recommend for anyone who's planning to apply to any highly-competitive Programs - and as an EMPOWERgmat Alum, we can set you up with a free consultation. Just let any of the Team know and we'll help set it up.

Congrats again on all of your success so far!

Another GMAT Assassin has been made!
Rich

Thank you so much, Rich.

I am really confused now and may need some help, even to find out which schools to apply.

Please check your message. I hope to hear your sharing. Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
Great job Lucy. I am training to kill the GMAT myself and I will incorporate your advices related to the bb's practice tests (SC, RC, CR).
Quick question tough; when you took the practice test (Gmat1/2), did you take the whole test (AWA and IR included)?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
First of all Congratulations on your score and wish you all the best. I'm targeting a 700+ score too.
I wish...
She quoted 'GMAT Math Bible Book'. Could anyone please throw some light on the book? Which book exactly it is?

I know CR Bible refers to power score. What is this Math Bible? It would be of great help if someone confirms.

ps: I googled, got random Books with name bible in them, I'm looking for a concrete answer.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Lucy Phuong wrote:
Hello everyone,

I’ve just taken GMAT Test in July 20 and got 710. This is a 70-point improvement in my GMAT journey and I don’t know how to express my feeling now. I just remember that I was smiling all the way home from test center :")

Congrats !! You got an impressive score ... 710 *_* after so many nerve wrecking chatroom sessions :P ... have a great school hunt !!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts