Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: ISB '15
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [3]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [1]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Re: Decision to QUIT job..GOOD or BAD [#permalink]
Try to do some NGO work at a reputed organization(get it on your CV :)) so that you can spin a story in your essays you were disllusioned by corporate and want to get in non profit sector.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AbhiJ wrote:
Try to do some NGO work at a reputed organization(get it on your CV :)) so that you can spin a story in your essays you were disllusioned by corporate and want to get in non profit sector.

Hey Abhi,
Thanks for the suggestion.I have some plans for NGO work after I prepare for GMAT.But can I also say that I did not see growth as a developer after around 4 years and didn't want to wait for 9-10 years to be at a managerial position and keeping in mind that I am having around 6 months before I take the GMAT(I am also preparing for other MBA exams like CAT) I decided to quit.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[quote="AbhiJ"]I perfectly understand your point of view. The work culture in IT rewards mediocrity and politics. However MBA Admissions will question your time management skills and think that you will have trouble managing both MBA studies and job search at B School. Or they may think that you quit because you could not handle pressure etc.

Thanks a lot Abhi..Along with NGO work I have thought of doing some online courses:
1.Statistics,
2.Economics
3.Innovation&Commercialization
Please let me know if they will be of help.I will be doing them anyways :)
Also apart from all these what more can be done to enhance profile and basically to show the AdCom how I have utilized the free time apart from studies
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Not having a job is a not a great point on your resume. You do need to show professional growth, career advancement, and leadership skills since that's what MBA is about. Also, your letters of recommendation will be weak since the people writing them would have known you only for a few months or would have been your former bosses.

As to studying, assuming you speak English well, you should not need more than 3-4 months @ 2-3 hours a day. That's how much I have spent and was able to improve from 540 to 750. I think you sould be able to do it too as long as you do it early in the morning when your mind is still fresh and you are not distracted/multitasking.

P.S. I don't think you should be unemployed and just professionally preparing to the GMAT - most of us could get 800 that way if we were able to spend our days flipping books and having no pressures or stresses from work.

There is no reason you should work at a place you hate - you are welcome to what you love and what your calling is, but you can't just be a GMAT bum, not for US schools at least.

I have decided to work for an NGO in the time being.But most of them are volunteering jobs.Now it is not a problem for me,but will it be considered as a job by AdCom?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
shuvayan86 wrote:
bb wrote:
Not having a job is a not a great point on your resume. You do need to show professional growth, career advancement, and leadership skills since that's what MBA is about. Also, your letters of recommendation will be weak since the people writing them would have known you only for a few months or would have been your former bosses.

As to studying, assuming you speak English well, you should not need more than 3-4 months @ 2-3 hours a day. That's how much I have spent and was able to improve from 540 to 750. I think you sould be able to do it too as long as you do it early in the morning when your mind is still fresh and you are not distracted/multitasking.

P.S. I don't think you should be unemployed and just professionally preparing to the GMAT - most of us could get 800 that way if we were able to spend our days flipping books and having no pressures or stresses from work.

There is no reason you should work at a place you hate - you are welcome to what you love and what your calling is, but you can't just be a GMAT bum, not for US schools at least.

I have decided to work for an NGO in the time being.But most of them are volunteering jobs.Now it is not a problem for me,but will it be considered as a job by AdCom?

Unless it is a leadership position, not really.... it will be more of an extracurricular activity.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
LIke the posters above mentioned, quitting your job just to prepare for the gmat is pointless. What are you going to do once you get into a top program. There wouldnt be anywhere to hide. You will have juggle a lot of different things, things which you dont like, at the same time.

Quitting a job you dont care for is a great idea but why don't you wait until you get accepted into a program?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aimlockfire1 wrote:
even while working for tcs u quit :shock: !!

:lol: my friend prepared for gmat and cat while on bench for all most 1 year !!

Haha..Ya u can be in bench in TCS for a year if you are a fresher.After experience of 4 years you can't stay in bench for that long my friend.
Anyways thanks for the info :wink:
GMAT Club Bot