It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 14:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Deep tillage is even more deliterious to the world's topsoil

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 9

Re: Deep tillage is even more deliterious to the world's topsoil [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2014, 09:45
+1 A

Statement:- "Deep tillage is even more deleterious to the world's topsoil supply than previously believed..."

A. Topsoil erosion does not make farmers want to till more deeply.
B. In deep-tillage farming, the deeper one tills, the greater the susceptibility to topsoil erosion. -"...farmers who till deeply are ten times more likely to lose topsoil to erosion than are farmers who use no-till methods.."
C. Tilling by any method other than deep tillage is not a viable option. - "...using other topsoil aeration techniques, to incorporate no-till methods..."
D. The most expensive farming methods employ topsoil aeration techniques other than deep tillage. - Paragraph does not discuss cost.
E. On average, topsoil that is no-tilled is more aerated than topsoil that is tilled deeply. - "...farmers who till deeply are ten times more likely to lose topsoil to erosion than are farmers who use no-till methods.."

"Always....Read between the lines"

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 9

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 12

Deep tillage is even more deliterious to the world's topsoil [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 14:33
My 2 cents

-- Conclusion is stated by the author..... "Farmers must strive to incorporate No-till methods"
a) Negated - "Topsoil erosion does make farmers want to till more deeply"....so what ? Still the conclusion stated by author is not weakened that "Farmers must strive to incorporate No-till methods", The conclusion stated by author still holds good that topsoil erosion is bad and farmers must use no till methods
b) Its already stated in the passage
c) correct - if negated, There are some other methods other than "no-till" methods that will give the same effect.

Kudos if you like my explanation

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 12

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 19:30
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

Responding to a pm:

The argument is about what the farmers should do and not about what they want to do. Hence option (A) is out of scope.

Premises:
Deep tillage causes top soil erosion.
Farmers who till deeply are 10 times more likely to lose top soil than farmers who don't till.

Conclusion:
Farmers should use no till methods for top soil aeration.

Look at the last sentence: Results like these make it clear that farmers who now till deeply should strive, by using other topsoil aeration techniques, to incorporate no-till methods instead.
This tell us that tilling is a 'top soil aeration technique'. Tilling deeply is bad so farmers should use no till methods. The author has jumped from deep tilling to no till. He says that just don't till at all since deep tilling is bad for top soil. He assumes that there are no methods of tilling (which may not be bad for top soil) other than deep tilling.

Therefore, the assumption of the author is "Tilling by any method other than deep tillage is not a viable option."

Answer (C)

So Karishma would my understanding be correct that between the spectrum of deep tilling method ( say 100 % tilling) to a no till method ( 0%) , there is no other viable method and thus this is the assumption ?

The reason I opted for A was that deep soil tilling is leading to a negative feedback in the soil ecosystem and the farmer is constrained to till deeper for next crop so that , say , all the nutrients etc are available to the second crop. In other words deep tilling in crop # 1 is aggravating the condition of soil , thereby compelling the farmer to dig deeper for crop#2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 46

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 18108 [0], given: 236

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 19:57
himanshujovi wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

Responding to a pm:

The argument is about what the farmers should do and not about what they want to do. Hence option (A) is out of scope.

Premises:
Deep tillage causes top soil erosion.
Farmers who till deeply are 10 times more likely to lose top soil than farmers who don't till.

Conclusion:
Farmers should use no till methods for top soil aeration.

Look at the last sentence: Results like these make it clear that farmers who now till deeply should strive, by using other topsoil aeration techniques, to incorporate no-till methods instead.
This tell us that tilling is a 'top soil aeration technique'. Tilling deeply is bad so farmers should use no till methods. The author has jumped from deep tilling to no till. He says that just don't till at all since deep tilling is bad for top soil. He assumes that there are no methods of tilling (which may not be bad for top soil) other than deep tilling.

Therefore, the assumption of the author is "Tilling by any method other than deep tillage is not a viable option."

Answer (C)

So Karishma would my understanding be correct that between the spectrum of deep tilling method ( say 100 % tilling) to a no till method ( 0%) , there is no other viable method and thus this is the assumption ?

The reason I opted for A was that deep soil tilling is leading to a negative feedback in the soil ecosystem and the farmer is constrained to till deeper for next crop so that , say , all the nutrients etc are available to the second crop. In other words deep tilling in crop # 1 is aggravating the condition of soil , thereby compelling the farmer to dig deeper for crop#2

Yes, since the author believes that deep tilling is bad, he concludes that no-till methods should be used hence assuming that tilling methods other than deep tilling are not viable.

As I said before, option (A) is out of scope of our argument. The author is discussing what should be done and why. He is not considering and hence not assuming what the farmers may want to do.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18108 [0], given: 236

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2015, 23:43
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 58

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2015, 05:57
Macsen wrote:
Deep tillage is even more deliterious to the world's topsoil supply than previously believed. For example, farmers who till deeply are ten times more likely to lose topsoil to erosion than are farmers who use no-till methods. Results like these make it clear that farmers who now till deeply should strive, by using other topsoil aeration techniques, to incorporate no-till methods instead.

The argument depends on assuming which one of the following?

B. In deep-tillage farming, the deeper one tills, the greater the susceptibility to topsoil erosion.
C. Tilling by any method other than deep tillage is not a viable option.
D. The most expensive farming methods employ topsoil aeration techniques other than deep tillage.
E. On average, topsoil that is no-tilled is more aerated than topsoil that is tilled deeply.

Explanation:

The conclusion of the argument is that farmers who now till deeply should use no-till methods. For this to be true(that "no-till"methods are the only viable option) there should not be any other tilling method.In other words,if there is any other tilling method,farmers need not incorporate no-till methods in which case the conclusion fails.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 58

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
WE: Operations (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2015, 21:24
Macsen wrote:
Deep tillage is even more deliterious to the world's topsoil supply than previously believed. For example, farmers who till deeply are ten times more likely to lose topsoil to erosion than are farmers who use no-till methods. Results like these make it clear that farmers who now till deeply should strive, by using other topsoil aeration techniques, to incorporate no-till methods instead.

The argument depends on assuming which one of the following?

B. In deep-tillage farming, the deeper one tills, the greater the susceptibility to topsoil erosion.
C. Tilling by any method other than deep tillage is not a viable option.
D. The most expensive farming methods employ topsoil aeration techniques other than deep tillage.
E. On average, topsoil that is no-tilled is more aerated than topsoil that is tilled deeply.

I can confirm that OA is C. This is an LSAT question.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 36

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 03:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Re: Deep tillage is even more deliterious to the world's topsoil   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2017, 03:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

Deep tillage is even more deliterious to the world's topsoil

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap