Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Resolve Paradoxx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [269]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [86]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [22]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [17]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Defense Department analysts worry that the ability of the United State [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bezzerk wrote:
GMATNinja Could you please help me break down and understand the premise in this question?

I'm not sure if this is why you're struggling with this question, but the chronology in the passage is a little bit funky. So let's start by breaking down the chronology.

Quote:
Defense Department analysts worry that the ability of the United States to wage a prolonged war would be seriously endangered if the machine-tool manufacturing base shrinks further. Before the Defense Department publicly connected this security issue with the import quota issue, however, the machine-tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas.

In the first sentence we know that the Defense Department is worried because the machine-tool manufacturing base (that's a mouthful -- we'll call it the "industry" from here on out) has shrunk in the past. The beginning of the second sentence implies that the Defense Department has brought up the import quota issue because of the stuff in the first sentence. This gives us the following chronology so far:

1. the industry shrank
    2. the Defense Department became worried
    3. the Defense Department raised the import quota issue

So far, so good. The second half of the second sentence tells us that the industry did two things before the Defense Department raised the import quota issue (#3 above):

• the industry raised the national security issue (presumably the shrinking of the industry)
  • the industry petitioned for import quotas

Now that we have that timeline clear, hopefully it'll be easier to answer the question of why the industry raised the national security issue!

So, which answer choice contributes most to an explanation of the machine-tool industry raising this issue?

Quote:
(A) When the aircraft industries retooled, they provided a large amount of work for tool builders.

Making sure that there are lots of jobs for tool builders is great, but does it help us understand why the industry raised the national security issue? Not really. This answer choice helps us understand why the industry might be seeking help from the government, but it doesn't help us understand why the industry specifically raised the national security issue. So we can eliminate answer choice (A).

Quote:
(B) The Defense Department is only marginally concerned with the effects of foreign competition on the machine-tool industry.

If the Defense Department isn't particularly concerned with the effects of foreign competition on the industry, it would be odd for the industry to be particularly concerned with the national security effects. After all, it is it job of the Defense Department to be concerned with national security issues. So this doesn't help explain why the industry is raising the issue. We can eliminate answer choice (B).

Quote:
(C) The machine-tool industry encountered difficulty in obtaining governmental protection against imports on grounds other than defense.

The industry is petitioning for an import quota. It isn't hard to imagine why: if there's an import quota then there are fewer foreigner competitors that the industry has to compete with at home. Answer choice (C) implies that they unsuccessfully tried to petition for import quotas in the past on the basis of some other argument than national security. The argument itself implies the government became more interested in the national security issue once the industry raised the issue –- the Defense Department started paying attention! So answer choice (C) does a pretty good job of explaining why the industry raised the national security issue: other attempts to get governmental protection had failed! We'll leave answer choice (C) in.

Quote:
(D) A few weapons important for defense consist of parts that do not require extensive machining.

Answer choice (D) would downplay the industry's national security argument. If there are weapons that don't require machining, then it isn't as big of a deal if the domestic industry continues to shrink. So this doesn't help explain why the industry raised the national security issue and we can eliminate answer choice (D).

Quote:
(E) Several federal government programs have been designed which will enable domestic machine-tool manufacturing firms to compete successfully with foreign toolmakers.

If there are several programs that have been designed to help the industry, then this downplays the need for the industry's national security argument since they're already being helped by the government. So we can eliminate answer choice (E).

That leaves us with answer choice (C) as the only answer that helps explain why the industry raised the national security issue.

I hope that helps!
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Defense Department analysts worry that the ability of the United State [#permalink]
Kudos
C. The machine-tool industry encountered difficulty in obtaining governmental protection against imports on grounds other than defense.
machine-tool industry raised national security issue in its petition for import quotas to take leverage of the position taken by the defense dept. Industry made its petition strong & implied that "if you don't accept this petition, Industry will shrink & that shrinkage will have an impact on National Security"
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
my take wud be C : The machine-tool industry encountered difficulty in obtaining governmental protection against imports on grounds other than defense.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [1]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Can some expert pour in and explain please.

I am unable to get the stimulus itself,answering it is another step.

Plz Advise!

Rgds,
TGC !!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [0]
Send PM
pqhai wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:
Can some expert pour in and explain please.

I am unable to get the stimulus itself,answering it is another step.

Plz Advise!

Rgds,
TGC !!

Hi TGC,

First of all, we need to understand the logic of quotas. The reason for setting import quotas is to protect internal industries from competition of foreign competitors.
There are two cases:
(1) No quotas: Internal industries will have difficulties because foreign competitors can sell products without any restrictions.
(2) Have quotas: Internal industries will NOT have difficulties because there are some limitations for foreign competitors.

This is resolve the paradox question, so what is paradox here? The paradox is: If there are import quotas, Machine Tool Industry (MTI) should be protected and will grow. But why MTI still maintains that the import quotas policies do not help?

The reason is:
Machine Tool Industry products = Defense products + Other products.

MTI will have difficulties if
(1) Sales of Defense products decline
(2) Sales of Other products decline
(3) Sale of both Defense products and Other products decline

In this question, MTI asks for help because the industry's sales of other products account for bigger portion of the industry's sales. BUT this segment does not have protection from government ==> MTI industry cannot grow ==> It will affect the ability of the United States to wage a prolonged war.

C says exactly the same reason. Hence, it is correct.

Hope my post helps you.

Hi,

Although your explanation is appropriate,I am still unable to get the stimulus as to why it is a paradox.

Before the Defense Department publicly connected this security issue with the import quota issue, however, the machine-tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas.

Above statement says that "Before DD connected security with import , MTI raised NSI in its petition for Import Quotas".Somehow I am unable to get this statement because of the usage of "However".Don't know where the contrast lies when MTI and DD both are connecting Security Issue with the Imports.

Shrinkage of MTI => USA ability decreases to wage a prolonged war.

Plz Advise

Rgds,
TGC !
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [3]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
targetgmatchotu wrote:
Hi,

Although your explanation is appropriate,I am still unable to get the stimulus as to why it is a paradox.

Before the Defense Department publicly connected this security issue with the import quota issue, however, the machine-tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas.

Above statement says that "Before DD connected security with import , MTI raised NSI in its petition for Import Quotas".Somehow I am unable to get this statement because of the usage of "However".Don't know where the contrast lies when MTI and DD both are connecting Security Issue with the Imports.

Plz Advise

Rgds,
TGC !

Hi TGC.

The most important thing is the intended meaning of the stimulus, don't simply see signal words such as however, but, etc... and determine two sides of the paradox. In 700+ questions, many signal words are trap.. You should read the stimulus carefully to digest the intended meaning.

I will reorganize and rephrase some parts of the stimulus.

Defense Department analysts worry that the ability of the United States to wage a prolonged war would be seriously endangered if the machine-tool manufacturing base shrinks further. [So Government set the import quotas policies to support the machine-tool industry.] However, the machine-tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas. [Finally, the Defense Department publicly realized and connected this security issue with the import quota issue.]

The question stem is:

Which of the following, if true, contributes most to an explanation of the machine-tool industry’s raising the issue [of import quotas to] national security?

Does it help you? Let me know.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
pqhai wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:
Hi,

Plz Advise

Rgds,
TGC !

Hi TGC.

The most important thing is the intended meaning of the stimulus, don't simply see signal words such as however, but, etc... and determine two sides of the paradox. In 700+ questions, many signal words are trap.. You should read the stimulus carefully to digest the intended meaning.

I will reorganize and rephrase some parts of the stimulus.

Defense Department analysts worry that the ability of the United States to wage a prolonged war would be seriously endangered if the machine-tool manufacturing base shrinks further. [So Government set the import quotas policies to support the machine-tool industry.] However, the machine-tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas. [Finally, the Defense Department publicly realized and connected this security issue with the import quota issue.]

The question stem is:

Which of the following, if true, contributes most to an explanation of the machine-tool industry’s raising the issue [of import quotas to] national security?

Does it help you? Let me know.

Yes , now its clear enough.However,I would have never got the stimulus the way you interpreted it for me.In fact, this question literally killed me.

Rgds,
TGC !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Hi expert,
I couldn't dissect the argument.What does the second sentence explain?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sleepynut wrote:
Hi expert,
I couldn't dissect the argument.What does the second sentence explain?

The second part of the second sentence (the machine-tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas) is important for arriving at option C.

The (domestic) machine tools industry wants the government to ban or hinder imports of machine tools so that the domestic industry flourishes. In order to support its petition (to persuade the government to hinder the imports), the industry has cited that national security may be compromised if machine tools are imported.

Option C explains why the industry did so.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
olive wrote:
Defense Department analysts worry that the ability of the United States to wage a prolonged war would be seriously endangered if the machine-tool manufacturing base shrinks further. Before the Defense Department publicly connected this security issue with the import quota issue, however, the machine-tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas.

Which of the following, if true, contributes most to an explanation of the machine-tool industrys raising the issue above regarding national security?

A. When the aircraft industries retooled, they provided a large amount of work for too builders.

B. The Defense Department is only marginally concerned with the effects of foreign competition on the machine-tool industry.

C. The machine-tool industry encountered difficulty in obtaining governmental protection against imports on grounds other than defense.

D. A few weapons important for defense consist of parts that do not require extensive machining.

E. Several federal government programs have been designed which will enable domestic machine-tool manufacturing firms to compete successfully with foreign toolmakers.

To explain : he machine-tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas.

A. When the aircraft industries retooled, they provided a large amount of work for tool builders.
Out of scope . Topic is related to defense .

B. The Defense Department is only marginally concerned with the effects of foreign competition on the machine-tool industry.
Irrelevant

This choice explains machine tool industry raised national security issue because it was unable to obtain protection against any other factor except defense.

D. A few weapons important for defense consist of parts that do not require extensive machining.
Irrelevant

E. Several federal government programs have been designed which will enable domestic machine-tool manufacturing firms to compete successfully with foreign toolmakers.
Irrelevant
Manager
Manager
Status:Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Even after going through the above explanations, I am not able to understand the following argument itself. Can anyone please help in explaining the argument only.

My understanding :

Defense Department is worried about the ability of the US to wage and support a prolonged war is endangered if machine-tool manufacturing base shrinks further. (Some Machine Tool manufacturing Base is shrinking which will endanger the ability of the US to wage(?) a prolonged war, this is causing Defense Department to worry)

Now, there is some connection of security issue with some import quota issue (I am not able to get this statement at all, please can you explain). In earlier statement we were talking about the worry of DD which was related to wage a war. Now security issue I get, but what is the meaning of import quota?
Security Issue - US not able to wage a war, so it can be a security concern
Import Quota Issue - As per my understanding, the import of machine tools by machine-tool manufacturing base, as it is shrinking

The machine tool industry raised the national security issue in its petition for import quotas. (As cannot follow the above line, so this conclusion does not make any sense to me) Even I did not get what does it mean "National Security Issue for Import Quotas". The security issue was that US was not able to wage a prolonged war, than how that is linked to import quotas.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [3]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM