Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:33 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [116]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [27]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 612 [6]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q49  V32 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
Send PM
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [1]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Demographers doing research for an international economics newsletter [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
E

[AI] of [K] - the average per capita income in the country of Kuptala:
[AI] of [B] - the average per capita income in the country of Bahlton:

[P] of [K] - % people living in poverty in the country of Kuptala:
[P] of [B] - % people living in poverty in the country of Bahlton:

1st claim: [AI] of [K] << [AI] of [B]
2st claim: [P] of [K] ~ 0, [P] of [B] = 50%

The explanation of these visible disparity destroy conclusion: "one of the claims must be wrong"

Only E fully explains that: "It does not consider the possibility that incomes in Kuptala, unlike those in Bahlton, might all be very close to the country’s average per capita"
In other words, there are a few billionaires in Bahlton
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Demographers doing research for an international economics newsletter [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO E

People in Kuptala might not be poor because all of them earn the same i.e the national average capita income which is nt the case for Bahlton.
A says that no attempt was made to discredit the claim which is wrng too because evidence of poorer people was provided to contrast the claim.
The others are irrelevant.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
E it is

In kuptala's case majority of the population earns, about the same as the national average and in Bahlton's case, there is a huge disparity in the earnings of the population. Only this weakens the conclusion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT 1: 530 Q46 V18
WE:Other (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Can anyone please explain why option A is incorrect.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
suhaschan wrote:
Can anyone please explain why option A is incorrect.

Could you first explain why you feel (A) is correct? Is it because of the complicated language? If you come across such an option, you should skip to others to figure out if you have a clear winner in others. They use complicated language only to play with your mind. Don't get bogged down by it. Read it carefully and analyze it, if you must.

The conclusion says: At least one of the demographers’ claims must, therefore, be wrong.

The two claims are
Claim 1: average per capita income in Kuptala is substantially lower than that in Bahlton
Claim 2: poverty is relatively rare in Kuptala, over half the population of Bahlton lives in extreme poverty

Option (A) says: "It rejects an empirical claim about the average per capita incomes in the two countries without ..."
Option (A) says: "It rejects claim 1 without ..."

Does the conclusion reject claim 1? No, not at all! It says one of the two must be wrong. It doesn't reject either one.

So option (A) is wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
can someone please throw light on option "C " :roll: .
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
vijaykumar1299 wrote:
can someone please throw light on option "C " :roll: .

The 'actual number of people living in poverty' has no relevance for our argument. We are discussing the percentage of population living in poverty and comparing that (which makes sense) - the 'actual number of people living in poverty' is not a comparable number and doesn't give any information about relative levels of poverty in the two countries. Hence, the actual number of people is irrelevant to our argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V38
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Lets just say :-

Per Capita Income :- Kuptala<Bahlton

Poverty :- Kuptala<Bahlton

Both can only be true if There is a Huuuuuge Middle Class i.e. people earning the average.

hence option e..

I know everyone says dont bring outside knowledge, but question like these its okay if you try to learn it in a language that you are most comfortable in .
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma
, the source of this question is so dubious.
I think gmat should have a forum for questions whose sources are not quite clear.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
chesstitans wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma
I think gmat should have a forum for questions whose sources are not quite clear.

Yes, the source of the question may not be known but the question is not ambiguous.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
chesstitans wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma

Yes, the source of the question may not be known but the question is not ambiguous.

hello, I still do not understand why B and C are incorrect?
Pls help me. Thank you.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
chesstitans wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
chesstitans wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma

hello, I still do not understand why B and C are incorrect?
Pls help me. Thank you.

First understand what the argument means:

"Demographers doing research for an international economics newsletter claim that the average per capita income in the country of Kuptala is substantially lower than that in the country of Bahlton." -
Say average per capita income of K is $10,000
Say average per capita income of B is $40,000

"They also claim, however, that whereas poverty is relatively rare in Kuptala, over half the population of Bahlton lives in extreme poverty. At least one of the demographers’ claims must, therefore, be wrong."

This is possible with the numbers given above, right? Say, poverty is defined as < $5000. Say, most people in K earn $10,000. Very few are less than $5000 and very few are above $15000. Say most people lie close to the average.
On the other hand, it is possible that 80% of people in B earn only $1000. Then the rest of the 20% must have very high income i.e. say $150,000. In that case, even though average per capita income would be relatively higher, most of the population would be below poverty line.

"At least one of the demographers’ claims must, therefore, be wrong."

This is incorrect conclusion. It is not necessary that at least one of the demographers’ claims must be wrong as we showed above with some numbers.

The argument above is most vulnerable to which of the following criticisms?

(B) It treats the vague term “poverty” as though it had a precise and universally accepted meaning.

It doesn't matter how poverty is defined. We are comparing poverty with extreme poverty and that distinction is obvious. We don't need to know how to define poverty for the argument to make sense. Hence the argument is not vulnerable to this criticism.

(C) It overlooks the possibility that the number of people in the two countries who live in poverty could be the same even though the percentages of the two populations that live in poverty differ markedly.
Even if number of people living in poverty is the same in the two countries, what matters is the percentage which lives in poverty. How poor a country is will be defined by what percentage of its population lives in poverty. Whether 200 people are poor or 2000 makes no sense without knowing the total population. So the data on actual number of people is not relevant. Hence (C) is wrong too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Why is option C wrong?
Say:
Income of people in Kuptala: [50,50,50,50... ,50, 10,10]
Income of people in Bahlton: [200,200,10,10] (Assuming only 4 people in Bahlton for simplicity)

Average income differs substantially as we can see.

Also lets assume that the people who are getting 10 as their income as in poverty.

The number of people in extreme poverty is the same in the two countries, but in Bahlton half the population is in extreme poverty. (Question says more than half, so I should have added another 10. But that doesn't really matter)

So one of claims need not be wrong because - It overlooks the possibility that the number of people in the two countries who live in poverty could be the same even though the percentages of the two populations that live in poverty differ markedly. And this is option C.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma DmitryFarber chetan2u

I selected E . But please correct my reasoning for option B. I was stuck between these two. But i rejected option B on the basis of EXTREME POVERTY.

karishma i'll be using your analysis:
"Demographers doing research for an international economics newsletter claim that the average per capita income in the country of Kuptala is substantially lower than that in the country of Bahlton." -
Say average per capita income of K is $10,000
Say average per capita income of B is $40,000

"They also claim, however, that whereas poverty is relatively rare in Kuptala, over half the population of Bahlton lives in extreme poverty. At least one of the demographers’ claims must, therefore, be wrong."

lets consider poverty limit in K = 1000
poverty limit in B = 20,000

now lets alsmot all K's are above 1000 and near to 10000
and most of K are below 20k . But a group of B citizens earn so much that the avg gets to 40k (similar to your reasoning)

the xtreme poverty according to B can be 20k
even in this sitiation BOTH STATEMENTS ARE RIGHT. PLease correct my reasoning
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM