Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Algebrax   Functions and Custom Charactersx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618687 [229]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618687 [78]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29902 [9]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1046 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: [y] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to y. Is d < 1? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
[y] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to y. Is d < 1?

(1) d = y - [y]

if y is an integer than y-[y]=0, if y is non-integer say 4.9 then y-[y]= 4.9-4= .9 in both of these cases d is less than 1 hence sufficient
(2) [d]= 0

[d]=0 means 0<= d< 1. hence sufficient

therefor D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [4]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Re: [y] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to y. Is d < 1? [#permalink]
Kudos
Option D.
From S1:d=y-[y]
For any value of non-integral y on no. line,y-[y]=0.1,0.2,0.3,...,0.9=d<1
For eg. y=5.9;[y]=5 y-[y]=0.9=d<1
And if y=-5.9;[y]=-6 y-[y]=-5.9 -(-6);d=0.1<1
And for any integral y,y=[y] => [d=0<1].Suff.

From S2:[d]=0
means d=0,0.1,0.2,0.3,...,0.9 only.All these vales are less than 1
Sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
I have a question on this. [d] is not defined in the question stem, only [y] is. Now, I understand how one can infer that statement 2 is sufficient based on the definition of [y] given.

However, I would also not be surprised if the OG solution said that statement 2 is insufficient is not defined because [d] was not defined in the question stem. How should I be thinking about such cases? Thank you.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618687 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mattdnb wrote:
I have a question on this. [d] is not defined in the question stem, only [y] is. Now, I understand how one can infer that statement 2 is sufficient based on the definition of [y] given.

However, I would also not be surprised if the OG solution said that statement 2 is insufficient is not defined because [d] was not defined in the question stem. How should I be thinking about such cases? Thank you.

The question does not define [y], it defines function denoted as [], which rounds DOWN a number to the nearest integer.

Check other function questions in our Special Questions Directory:

Operations/functions defining algebraic/arithmetic expressions
Symbols Representing Arithmetic Operation
Rounding Functions
Various Functions

Hope it helps.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1392 [3]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Quote:

(1) d = y - [y]
(2) [d]= 0

Any number x can be written in the form of I + f
Here I is the integral part or [x], example: 1 , 2, 3 etc.
and f is the fractional part: 0.1, 0.2, 0.001 etc.

Given: [y] is the integral part of a number
Required: Is d < 1

Statement 1: d = y - [y]
We can say y = I + f
Where I = [y]
So, y -[y] means the fractional part of a number.
This would always be between 0 and 1

SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: [d]= 0
The integral part of a number is ) means number is greated than 0 and less than 1.

SUFFICIENT

Option D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

[y] can take only one value, which will be the greatest integer less than or equal to y. Function [] rounds DOWN a number to the nearest integer. For example [1.5]=1, [2]=2, [-1.5]=-2, ...

Check more questions in Rounding Functions Questions.

I shared a similar confusion as Garauku; it saying "greatest integer less than or equal to" seemed to me it was saying any integer <= y, which could be as garauku suggested y = 5 [y] = 5, 4, etc. How would it have been phrased if this was the intended meaning rather than that the function rounds down?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [2]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Bookmarks
redfield wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

[y] can take only one value, which will be the greatest integer less than or equal to y. Function [] rounds DOWN a number to the nearest integer. For example [1.5]=1, [2]=2, [-1.5]=-2, ...

Check more questions in Rounding Functions Questions.

I shared a similar confusion as Garauku; it saying "greatest integer less than or equal to" seemed to me it was saying any integer <= y, which could be as garauku suggested y = 5 [y] = 5, 4, etc. How would it have been phrased if this was the intended meaning rather than that the function rounds down?

Couple of points:

1. This is an official question, so do not question the OA or the language, it will only be a waste of time and energy.

2. The question as such is completely clear. If y=5, then [y] can only be = 5 and NOT 4 as you need the GREATEST integer less or equal to y. What this means is that you must take the greatest integer of <y or =y to be that particular integer. There is no ambiguity here.

For y=1.5, [y] = 1, for y=4.1, [y]=4 etc.

Hope this helps.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6295 [0]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
Statement 1-
y=[y]+{y}
where {y} is fractional part and [y] is integral part

d=y-[y]
d=[y]+{y}-[y]
d={y}
or 0≤d<1
Sufficient

Statement 2
[d]=0
0≤d<1
Sufficient

Bunuel wrote:
The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition

(1) d = y - [y]
(2) [d]= 0

Data Sufficiency
Question: 102
Category: Algebra Operations with real numbers
Page: 160
Difficulty: 650

GMAT Club is introducing a new project: The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition - Quantitative Questions Project

Each week we'll be posting several questions from The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition and then after couple of days we'll provide Official Answer (OA) to them along with a slution.

We'll be glad if you participate in development of this project:
1. Please provide your solutions to the questions;
2. Please vote for the best solutions by pressing Kudos button;
3. Please vote for the questions themselves by pressing Kudos button;
4. Please share your views on difficulty level of the questions, so that we have most precise evaluation.

Thank you!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1805 [1]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM