Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [3]
Given Kudos: 104
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V31
GPA: 3.58
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 779
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
Send PM
Re: Desertification, the creation of desert-like conditions where none had [#permalink]
#2 OA is E !!!!!!!!!!! I could not understand why not D ?! it is strange ! could sb explain.

but good passage .... source 1000rc i think 700 level
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32911 [1]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Desertification, the creation of desert-like conditions where none had [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello all

This is a good piece of writing, All questions are logically supported by the passage except question #2, i am not satisfied with OA of question #2, I should be D in my point of view as i am unable to find any clue which supports that Desertification is the due to "II. The quality of the land in the Sahel".This could be a typo for Putting E instead of D. I would request Sir GMATNinja to please spread some light on this one.

Thanks
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32911 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
650 is a justified level of difficulty for this passage.

Thanks

09173140521 wrote:
#2 OA is E !!!!!!!!!!! I could not understand why not D ?! it is strange ! could sb explain.

but good passage .... source 1000rc i think 700 level
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
Hello all

This is a good piece of writing, All questions are logically supported by the passage except question #2, i am not satisfied with OA of question #2, I should be D in my point of view as i am unable to find any clue which supports that Desertification is the due to "II. The quality of the land in the Sahel".This could be a typo for Putting E instead of D. I would request Sir GMATNinja to please spread some light on this one.

Thanks

­I understand your concern. Let's reevaluate the passage to see if there is any indication of the quality of the land in the Sahel contributing to desertification.

Upon reevaluation, the passage does mention that pastoral populations moved into marginal regions in the north with relatively large herds, and they overtaxed very marginal rangelands during a period of dry years. This implies that the quality of the land may have been marginal, contributing to its vulnerability to desertification.

Therefore, upon closer inspection, we can infer that all three factors mentioned in the options (I, II, and III) contributed to the desertification of the Sahel. Hence, the correct answer should indeed be (E) I, II, and III.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13960 posts