Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [86]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [32]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [4]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63664 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Despite a growing population, in 1998 the United States used 38 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
manusingh wrote:
Hi

GMATNinja abhimahna

I understand "b" is correct among all the answer choices. But is the usage (in general) "all time highest" correct?
"A, B and E", all used "all time highest".

Thanks

Are you asking whether the usage of "all-time highest" is correct on the GMAT, or whether it's a good idea to use that construction in real life? Those are two separate questions.

Obviously, the GMAT has no problem with the construction, since it's used in a correct answer on an official question. My personal opinion is that it sounds pretty crappy in this sentence, and I can think of tons of better ways to write the sentence, but it certainly isn't WRONG.

So for the sake of dealing with the GMAT, the phrase "the period of all-time highest consumption" is totally fine, and I wouldn't spend any energy worrying about it.

I hope this helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63664 [4]

Send PM
Re: Despite a growing population, in 1998 the United States used 38 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
harsh8686 wrote:
GMATNinja

Despite a growing population, in 1998 the United States used 38 billion fewer gallons of water a day than it did during the period of all-time highest consumption almost 20 years earlier

The time marker is generally used at the end? Is there any grammatical rule for using it?

In general, it's best not to invent "rules" that may or may not hold true on every SC question. There isn't a rule about where exactly time markers can appear in a sentence.

The usage in (B) is just fine -- that construction clearly conveys the intended comparison.

(C) and (D) are arranged a bit differently, but they can't be eliminated simply because the time marker isn't at the end of the sentence. (C) can be eliminated because of it's weird passive construction and questionable placement of the "which" modifier. (D) compares an amount of water to "almost 20 years earlier," which makes no sense at all.

The placement of the time marker isn't inherently better in the correct answer choice -- the other options just have major meaning issues.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [3]
Given Kudos: 424
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
B.

As a side note, 'than' is usually superior to 'comparing to'.
A - what is the comparison? 'day' to 'a period'
C - modifier issue of 'which'
D - 'that having been' GMAT freebie
E - modifier issue of 'which'
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [3]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Despite a growing population, in 1998 the United States used 38 billion fewer gallons of water a day when comparing it to the period of all-time highest consumption almost 20 years earlier.

Issue: Comparison

Analysis: Looking at the underlined portion of the sentence, we can say that the water to consumption in US is being compared. Hence, we need to use the correct comparison marker and make sure that the compared things are equal.

A. day when comparing it to the period of all-time highest consumption almost 20 years earlier
- Incorrect usage of "when" leading to meaning issue (seems to suggest that the fact was only true at the time of comparison)
- Pronoun ambiguity

B. day than it did during the period of all-time highest consumption almost 20 years earlier
- Correct comparison

C. day than were used almost 20 years earlier, which had been the all-time high consumption
- Incorrect comparison

D. day, compared to almost 20 years earlier, that having been the all-time high consumption
- Incorrect comparison

E. day, which is in comparison to the period of all-time highest consumption almost 20 years earlier
- Incorrect usage of "which" - ", which" is is used to modify noun immediately preceding it.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AR15J wrote:
Hi expert

Is the below part of the choice C is incorrect? If yes then please explain why it is incorrect?

C is incorrect because of following reasons:
1. "which" does not have an antecedent
2. "were used" - unnecessary use of passive voice, breaking parallelism.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63664 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Piggu18 wrote:
GMATNinja
Can you please explain how in Option c "were used " is incorrect . I understood that which is referring to incorrect noun .
But i want to understand on proper Logical comparison perspective . Here we are comparing water consumption in US in 1998 to any other period .
I guess its correctly compared .
Please correct where am i Wrong .

Take another look at (C), "Despite a growing population, in 1998 the United States used 38 billion fewer gallons of water than were used almost 20 years earlier, which had been the all-time high consumption." We're comparing the amount of water the U.S. used to the amount of water used by whom? The U.S. again? The amount of water used in general twenty years earlier?

This is a good example of why the passive voice is sometimes a problem. It's not because the passive voice is ever inherently wrong; it's because the meaning of the sentence can become harder to understand. Contrast this with (B), in which it's 100% clear that we're comparing the amount of water the U.S. used in one period to the amount of water the U.S. used in another period.

I hope that helps!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4546 [1]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Kudos
A. day when comparing it to the period of all-time highest consumption almost 20 years earlier - Incorrect - Comparison error

B. day than it did during the period of all-time highest consumption almost 20 years earlier - Correct

C. day than were used almost 20 years earlier, which had been the all-time high consumption - Incorrect - 'which' incorrectly refers to '20 years earlier'

D. day, compared to almost 20 years earlier, that having been the all-time high consumption - Incorrect - Fragment

E. day, which is in comparison to the period of all-time highest consumption almost 20 years earlier - Incorrect - Comparison error. Usage of water is compared to a period of high consumption.

Answer: B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Despite a growing population, in 1998 the United States used 38 [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi

GMATNinja abhimahna

I understand "b" is correct among all the answer choices. But is the usage (in general) "all time highest" correct?
"A, B and E", all used "all time highest".

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [2]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Despite a growing population, in 1998 the United States used 38 billion fewer gallons of water a day
=> "fewer" must be followed by "than" so A, D, and E are out.

"the United States used 38 billion fewer gallons of water a day than it did" is the correct parallelism so B is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi expert

Is the below part of the choice C is incorrect? If yes then please explain why it is incorrect?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Economics, Operations
Send PM
GMATNinja
Can you please explain how in Option c "were used " is incorrect . I understood that which is referring to incorrect noun .
But i want to understand on proper Logical comparison perspective . Here we are comparing water consumption in US in 1998 to any other period .
I guess its correctly compared .
Please correct where am i Wrong .
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
OE:
Rhetorical construction; Logical predication
When making a direct comparison (in this case, with fewer), the
standard way to express the object of comparison is with than. Here, the
sentence uses fewer . . . when comparing it to, which not only is
unidiomatic, but also creates an illogical predication: United States is the
only possible subject for the verb comparing (surely the sentence
doesn’t mean to say the United States used 38 billion fewer gallons at
the time it was making some comparison!). Also, what is the antecedent
of it here? Grammatically, there is no clear candidate.
A. Instead of using fewer . . . than, this version uses the unidiomatic
fewer . . . when comparing it to, which also introduces a logical
predication problem.
B. Correct. Fewer than is correct, and this version of the sentence has
no logical predication problems.
C. This has a logical predication problem: because the relative clause
beginning with which immediately follows almost 20 years earlier,
it seems that the time period is being described as having been the
all-time high consumption.
D. Fewer than is preferable to fewer . . . compared to; also, there is a
logical predication problem: because the phrase beginning with that
immediately follows almost 20 years earlier, it seems that the time
period is being described as having been the all-time high
consumption.
E. This is awkwardly and confusingly worded. Rather than comparing
the United States’ water usage in 1998 to its water usage nearly 20
years earlier, this appears illogically to compare the United States’
water usage in 1998 to a period of time, namely the period of alltime
highest consumption almost 20 years earlier.
The correct answer is B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [0]
Given Kudos: 230
GMAT 1: 530 Q48 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 3: 590 Q46 V25
GMAT 4: 600 Q48 V25 (Online)
GMAT 5: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
GMATNinja

Despite a growing population, in 1998 the United States used 38 billion fewer gallons of water a day than it did during the period of all-time highest consumption almost 20 years earlier

The time marker is generally used at the end? Is there any grammatical rule for using it?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts