GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2019, 12:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reverse

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)
Re: Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reverse  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2018, 10:37
Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods could help reverse blockage of coronary arteries, the blood vessels that feed the heart.

One error is enough.

(A) Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods could
Consumption is singular. So it must be "reverses".

(B) Despite no foods having been proved to reverse hardening of the arteries when consumed, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can
Change in meaning. Food does not serve to reverse. It is consumption that serves to reverse.

(C) Although the consumption of no particular foods have been proved to reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that to refrain from eating certain foods could
Consumption is singular. So it must be "has been proved".

(D) Although not proved that the consumption of any foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can
Same mistake as in A

(E) Although it has not been proved that the consumption of any particular food will reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can
Good
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 6: 600 Q38 V35
GPA: 3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reverse  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2019, 00:44
Understanding that the subject = "the consumption" helps a LOT with this. Since "consumption" is singular, we can make the following moves

(A) Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods could
(C) Although the consumption of no particular foods have been proved to reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that to refrain from eating certain foods could
(D) Although not proved that the consumption of any foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can

B is illogical as it is "despite the lack of proof" not despite "no foods having been proved"

E is correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2019, 04:30
Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods could help reverse blockage of coronary arteries, the blood vessels that feed the heart.

(A) Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods could-----any particular foods is wrong

(B) Despite no foods having been proved to reverse hardening of the arteries when consumed, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can----- FOODS is wrong, having been should not be used

(C) Although the consumption of no particular foods have been proved to reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that to refrain from eating certain foods could-----FOODS is wrong, FOOD must be used

(D) Although not proved that the consumption of any foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can----- SAME as C

(E) Although it has not been proved that the consumption of any particular food will reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can------ E is the right answer

" I CAN AND I WILL"
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2019, 02:47
at first, we look at meaning problem and when there are 2 remaining choices, we look for minor grammatical error such as agreement. this order of working on sc is good because we can realize meaning error at first with ease . minor grammatical errors are easy to explain but hard to realize. only when 2 choices are left, we can realize minor grammatical errors by checking word by word in the answer choices.

using above order, i can eliminate choice B,C and D. when faced with choice A and E, I find agreement error by checking word by word.
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 19:51
normaly, the big errors such as meaning errors and structure errors are detected before minor grammartical error such as agreement or plural/singular . the reason for this is that when we read we focus on understanding the meaning of the sentence first and we realize the structure error and meaning error first.

minor grammatical errors such as agreement is easy to explain but hard to realize and hard to avoid when you make a long sentence. so, the process of solving gmat sc is the same as process of writing. we find out meaning and structure erros first and then when there are 2 remaining choices are left we find grammatical error such as agreement by checking word be word the two answer choices.

we do the same process when we write. after writing a good sentence with clear meaing and good structure, we reread to check minir grammatical error such as agreement and edit it.

so the order of solving gmat sc is
looking for meaning errors, focusing on meaning. here you also realize structure error
when there are 2 choices remains, look for minor gramatical error.
Non-Human User
Re: Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 06:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2019, 06:39

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reverse

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics