It is currently 17 Nov 2017, 13:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 179 [2], given: 10

Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2010, 12:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state health officials have ordered the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be published.

(A) the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be
(B) that seawater at popular beaches should be measured for their levels of bacteria, with the results being
(C) the measure of levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches and the results to be
(D) seawater measured at popular beaches for levels of bacteria, with their results
(E) that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results

Kudos [?]: 179 [2], given: 10

7 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 225 [7], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2010, 14:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
vyassaptarashi wrote:
Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state health officials have ordered the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be published.

(A) the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be
(B) that seawater at popular beaches should be measured for their levels of bacteria, with the results being
(C) the measure of levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches and the results to be
(D) seawater measured at popular beaches for levels of bacteria, with their results
(E) that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results

Your post title says it all!

The subjunctive mood must be used whenever you have an order or recommendation verb. Some examples of such verbs are order, mandate, recommend, ask and demand.

To properly use the subjunctive, the sentence structure is:

[subject] [verb] that [next subject] [infinitive form of next verb, without "to"]

For example:

Fred's boss demands that Fred be on time for work.
Financial experts recommend that investors do research.
Our professor asks that we be prepared for class.

On to the question!

When you have long complex sentences, you should start by stripping away the extraneous material. So, paraphrasing the original:

Quote:
...state health officials... have ordered the levels ... to be measured and that the results be published.

If we've trained ourselves well, we see the verb "ordered" and immediately think "subjunctive time!" There has to be a "that" after ordered - eliminate A, C and D.

Now we scan B and E and note that B has "should be measured". You never use "should" with an order or recommendation verb (you're already making an order or recommendation, so "should" is redundant) - eliminate B.

Only E fixes our subjunctive issues - choose E!

If we wanted to double check the structure of E:

Quote:
...state health officials... have ordered that the levels ... be measured and the results published.

There should actually be a "be" before published (which means that either the question has been mistyped or the original question isn't perfect), but otherwise all good.

Kudos [?]: 225 [7], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 46

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2010, 17:50
I got E as well.

Great explanation.

Go Blue!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 46

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 14

Schools: Wharton..:)

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2010, 03:07
I do not agree with the explanation above..
first of all a verb like " order" can take both command subjunctive or infinitive form so you cannot eliminate options which do not have subjunctive indicators for ex if there were an option that started with " TO " so you cannot eliminate it ..

other verbs that fall in this category are - order, require,ask,beg,intend,urge etc

so coming back to options

The colored part is the descriptive phrase describing state health officials so subject is state health official (SHO)
a)SHO ordered the levels of bacteria ...????-doesnt make sense
b)being is always a red flag eliminate it there is a 1% chance that on gmat being is the correct option
c)k.sentence has to use either TO( form ) or THAT ( command subjunctive )
d)same problem as was with a - option doesn';t make sense
e) starts with THAT so that is correct:
THAT x and y

" What [i] do is not beyond anybody else's competence"- warren buffett
My Gmat experience -http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-710-q-47-v-41-tips-for-non-natives-107086.html

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 14

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 161

WE 1: Business Development
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2011, 16:59
geturdream wrote:
gmataspirant2009 wrote:
241. Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state health officials have ordered the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be published.

for the subjunctive mood, we need that. So eliminate A, C and D
In B should is wrong. And with the results being is also wrong.

E rectifies the problem. and it maintains ||ism
be measured .. be published

Either im confused or something is weird here. "be measured" I can see. but i cannot see "be published" I only can see: and the results published. Shouldn't we have another be? I got E by PEO but still this construction is weird for me. Am I missing something?

Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2088 [0], given: 376

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2011, 23:27
144144 wrote:
Either im confused or something is weird here. "be measured" I can see. but i cannot see "be published" I only can see: and the results published. Shouldn't we have another be? I got E by PEO but still this construction is weird for me. Am I missing something?

From what I gathered out of the discussion, and as you rightly doubted, it appears that option E is missing be at the end.

(E) that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results be

~fluke

Kudos [?]: 2088 [0], given: 376

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

WE 1: Business Development
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2011, 09:21
fluke wrote:
144144 wrote:

From what I gathered out of the discussion, and as you rightly doubted, it appears that option E is missing be at the end.

(E) that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results be

Thanks for the support. ;)

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 7

Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2011, 18:38
HongHu wrote:
218. Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state health officials have ordered the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be published.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
In this sentence, English idiom requires one of two paradigms: x ordered y to be z‘ed or x ordered that y be z 'ed. Choice E, the best answer, employs the second of these paradigms. Choice A mixes the two paradigms
(levels... to be measured and that the results be published), producing a sentence that lacks parallelism. C
and D use neither paradigm and are thus unidiomatic. Also, in D, the pronoun their has no logical and
grammatical antecedent. Choice B unidiomatically employs the verb should (not in either paradigm); also, the
pronoun their does not agree in number with seawater, its most logical antecedent.

I strongly believe the word be is missed out in option E. E should read:

I also go with E and agree with the view that "be" is missing in E.

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 7

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 554 [2], given: 116

Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2012, 02:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Please press Kudos if you found this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 554 [2], given: 116

5 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8158 [5], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)
Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2012, 03:18
This post received
KUDOS
This is a classic case of the use of the command subjunctive and of //ism.

(A) the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be -------1. you are missing the connector – that - in the first part while it is there in the second arm ; 2. First part is in infinitive and the second part is in subjunctive; unparallel.

(B) that seawater at popular beaches should be measured for their levels of bacteria, with the results being …. Should be measured is not part of a command subjunctive clause. This is neither fully subjunctive nor infinitive.

(C) the measure of levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches and the results to be -----ordered the measure and ordered the results - can these inanimate things be ordered?

(D) seawater measured at popular beaches for levels of bacteria, with their results ….1 Missing th all important connector –that-2. there is ambiguous. Does it stand for officials, or beaches or levels or bacteria?

(E) that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results --- correct choice. It fulfills the three essential requirements of a command subjunctive namely 1. the mandatory or the bossy word namely -ordered -. 2. the connector word – that- and 3. the base form of the verb – be measured and ( be ) published -.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8158 [5], given: 364

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 239

GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2012, 05:32
Answer Seems to be
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E
because it is parallel.

Please Underline SC questions so that it will be easy to read. 8-)

In any case, i don't think it is 700 level question.

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 239

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 360 [1], given: 75

GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2012, 08:13
This post received
KUDOS

Command subjunctive and parallelism
he ordered that X and Y; the command subjunctive effect should be in both the parts so we have to avoid the use of anything such as,to be, be etc..before Y.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Kudos [?]: 360 [1], given: 75

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 7

WE 1: Big4 Assurance (2 years)
WE 2: Big4 M&A Advisory (2 years)

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2012, 07:03
E is best because subjuntive voice is used appropriately.

The point I wonder is the redundancy of "be" at the end of the sentence;

(E) that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results (be)

shouldn't it be mandatory here?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Concentration: International Business, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2012, 07:22
IMO E.
Not sure if its difficult enough to be posted in this section.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 17

GMAT Date: 11-02-2012

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2012, 09:30
daagh wrote:

(A) the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches to be measured and that the results be -------1. you are missing the connector – that - in the first part while it is there in the second arm ; 2. First part is in infinitive and the second part is in subjunctive; unparallel.

(B) that seawater at popular beaches should be measured for their levels of bacteria, with the results being …. Should be measured is not part of a command subjunctive clause. This is neither fully subjunctive nor infinitive.

(C) the measure of levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches and the results to be -----ordered the measure and ordered the results - can these inanimate things be ordered?

(D) seawater measured at popular beaches for levels of bacteria, with their results ….1 Missing th all important connector –that-2. there is ambiguous. Does it stand for officials, or beaches or levels or bacteria?

(E) that the levels of bacteria in seawater at popular beaches be measured and the results --- correct choice. It fulfills the three essential requirements of a command subjunctive namely 1. the mandatory or the bossy word namely -ordered -. 2. the connector word – that- and 3. the base form of the verb – be measured and ( be ) published -.

Sir,

Kindly clarify:

1. Should the base form of the word in case of command subjunctive be verb without infinitive for ex: measure, publish rather than ed form.
2. Is "that" not required before " the results" also.

Thanks

Vivek Dixit

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 17

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2012, 10:03
daagh wrote:

Can someone explain why "that" is required here? Thx.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2012, 11:26
plui31 wrote:
daagh wrote:

because of the form of subjuntive voice.

bossy word+that+subject+ base form of verb

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2012, 17:49
frankiegar wrote:
plui31 wrote:

So you need "that" whenever there's a bossy word?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2012, 23:01
plui31 wrote:
frankiegar wrote:
plui31 wrote:

So you need "that" whenever there's a bossy word?

yep thats the rule. I don't know whether there is an exception. Any expert comment?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2012, 12:44
E uses the subjunctive mode correctly

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 7

Re: Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2012, 12:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 73 posts ] 

Despite protests from some waste-disposal companies, state

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap