It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 10:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite recent increases in sales and cash flow that have

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 16

WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Re: Despite recent increases in sales and cash flow that have [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2013, 07:59
hi mani

let me try to answer your query

1) pronoun can refer back to nouns that are beyond commas even to an extent beyond periods.
2)" automakers, in order to conserve cash, to set dividends more conservatively that they were"
here the subject is the "automakers" the prepositional phrase "in order to conserve cash" acts as an intervening modifier that modifies "automakers" ...So the pronoun any which ways is ambiguios here...in anyways if it were to refer to a single noun, it should have been "automakers" the subject of the clause....

PS..I am still learning, so there can be flaws in my reasoning :)

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 16

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8173 [1], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2013, 10:49
This post received
KUDOS
Imo, there is no ambiguity about the pronoun – they - in any of the choices. Dividends cannot set dividends upon themselves. Nor for that matter no other plural noun can stand in competition with the subject of the sub- clause namely—automakers – for being the referent. In pronoun references, logic is more important than any other.

(A) to set dividends more conservatively than they were --- they were is wrong—it should be they did.
(B) to set dividends more conservatively than they have been ---- they have been is wrong ; it have been doing is the correct usage.
(C) to be more conservative than they have been in setting dividends --- correct choice
(D) that they will be more conservative than they were in setting dividends ---wrong because of the faulty idiom expect x that as already pointed out
(E) that they will be more conservative than they have been to set dividends--- same as in D

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8173 [1], given: 364

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 45

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2013, 17:06
daagh wrote:
Imo, there is no ambiguity about the pronoun – they - in any of the choices. Dividends cannot set dividends upon themselves. Nor for that matter no other plural noun can stand in competition with the subject of the sub- clause namely—automakers – for being the referent. In pronoun references, logic is more important than any other.

(A) to set dividends more conservatively than they were --- they were is wrong—it should be they did.
(B) to set dividends more conservatively than they have been ---- they have been is wrong ; it have been doing is the correct usage.
(C) to be more conservative than they have been in setting dividends --- correct choice
(D) that they will be more conservative than they were in setting dividends ---wrong because of the faulty idiom expect x that as already pointed out
(E) that they will be more conservative than they have been to set dividends--- same as in D

So my logic was correct? I didn't get how the pronoun was ambiguous in A and B they seem pretty set to me

We appreciate your kudos'

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2013, 04:27
This post was
BOOKMARKED
daagh wrote:

Sorry how is B wrong?

Could someone also explain how B is wrong with regards to the parallism with the 'than'

As far as I'm concerned, B and C are equally ambiguous in their use of they. Not just gramatically logiically I feel like they are both equally ambiguous to their antecedents

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 290 [2], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2013, 05:11
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
DAAGH wrote :to set dividends more conservatively than they have been ---- they have been is wrong ; it have been doing is the correct usage.

this explanation is not right .the main reason why B is wrong is because the usage "they have been ...." requires the word "setting" ,which does not exist in the main clause

Kudos [?]: 290 [2], given: 61

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 846 [2], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2013, 06:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The previous post is exactly right about 'setting'. In order to omit 'setting' at the end of the sentence, that exact word must appear earlier in the sentence.

A word about pronoun ambiguity. The GMAT is surprisingly tolerant of pronoun ambiguity, so don't use it for eliminations. You will eliminate incorrect pronouns if they don't agree in number or it the reference appears to change during the sentence.

KW

Posted from my mobile device

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Kudos [?]: 846 [2], given: 5

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2013, 07:55
KyleWiddison wrote:
The previous post is exactly right about 'setting'. In order to omit 'setting' at the end of the sentence, that exact word must appear earlier in the sentence.

A word about pronoun ambiguity. The GMAT is surprisingly tolerant of pronoun ambiguity, so don't use it for eliminations. You will eliminate incorrect pronouns if they don't agree in number or it the reference appears to change during the sentence.

KW

Posted from my mobile device

Hey that is a actually a great summary of pronoun ambiguity that I've learned from experience. I've learned to use it as a sort of last resorts in SC analysis

Anyways B ambiguity is still confusing me. So are you both saying, as I think you are that than is a sort of modifier and what's before and after it must be parallel? So because there is setting (or conversely no verb to be) before than, then after than must also have setting?

so two possible correct versions would look like this
to set dividends than they were set
some version of the verb to be than they were set

Am I understanding this correctly?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 416 [0], given: 45

WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2014, 17:05
First look: Verb tense, comparative clause (more conservatively). In case you want to know more about a comparative clause, follow the link http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/phil/english/chairs/linguist/real/independent/eafrica/Diss_Diana/dissch4-5.htm

(A) to set dividends more conservatively than they were Wrong - ellipses is needed.

(B) to set dividends more conservatively than they have been Wrong - ellipses is needed.

(C) to be more conservative than they have been in setting dividends Best answer - comparison clause is okay, and setting dividends is okay.

(D) that they will be more conservative than they were in setting dividends Wrong - Verb tense of "will be" and "were" are not consistent. Only the present tense can accompany a future tense in the same sentence.

(E) that they will be more conservative than they have been to set dividends Wrong - Verb tense is wrong, for the same reason above.

IMO C.

Kudos [?]: 416 [0], given: 45

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [1], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2014, 08:39
This post received
KUDOS
Meaning
it should be clear from the sentence that analysts expect automakers to be more conservative.
Only answer choice C does that

a) to set dividends more conservatively than they were – Incorrect. They is ambiguous.
b) to set dividends more conservatively than they have been - Incorrect. They is ambiguous.
c) to be more conservative than they have been in setting dividends - correct
d) that they will be more conservative than they were in setting dividends - use of that is incorrect
e) that they will be more conservative than they have been to set dividends – Incorrect. Same as D

Kudos [?]: 35 [1], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1899 [1], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2014, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Despite recent increases in sales and cash flow that have propelled automobile companies’ common stocks to new highs, several industry analysts expect automakers, in order to conserve cash, to set dividends more conservatively than they were.

a) to set dividends more conservatively than they were --- Xs expect Ys to set Ms ... than they were --> they can refer back to Ms or Ys. Pronoun ambiguity exist.
b) to set dividends more conservatively than they have been -- similar error -- they is referring to dividends or automakers
c) to be more conservative than they have been in setting dividends -- dividends moved at the end thus pronoun reference is better.
d) that they will be more conservative than they were in setting dividends -- Ears say wrong --- that is awkward.
e) that they will be more conservative than they have been to set dividends -- Ears say wrong --- that is awkward.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1899 [1], given: 229

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 10

Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.08
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2014, 07:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Despite recent increases in sales and cash flow that have propelled automobile companies’ common stocks to new highs, several industry analysts expect automakers, in order to conserve cash, to set dividends more conservatively that they were.

to set dividends more conservatively than they were
to set dividends more conservatively than they have been
to be more conservative than they have been in setting dividends
that they will be more conservative than they were in setting dividends
that they will be more conservative than they have been to set dividends

A) incorrect.

First, i thought that they is ambiguous, but it is not.Here they is referring to dividends. "analysts expect automakers to set dividends more conservatively than dividends were set".

if they would refer to automakers than the sentence would be" analysts expect automakers to set dividends more conservatively than automakers have been setting".

neither setting can be assumed nor have been is used.

b) incorrect.

they refers to dividends.

it can not refer to automakers because we need setting at the end. but we can only assume set,as setting is not used anywhere in the sentence.

C) correct.

they can only refer to automakers.

D) were is incorrect verb.They is not ambiguous.

e) in setting should be used. they is not ambiguous.

please correct me if i am wrong and also let me know if i missed anything.

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 10

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9281 [3], given: 340

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2014, 08:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
SidKaria wrote:
Despite recent increases in sales and cash flow that have propelled automobile companies’ common stocks to new highs, several industry analysts expect automakers, in order to conserve cash, to set dividends more conservatively that they were.

A) incorrect.

First, i thought that they is ambiguous, but it is not.Here they is referring to dividends. "analysts expect automakers to set dividends more conservatively than dividends were set".

if they would refer to automakers than the sentence would be" analysts expect automakers to set dividends more conservatively than automakers have been setting".

b) incorrect.

it can not refer to automakers because we need setting at the end. but we can only assume set,as setting is not used anywhere in the sentence.

C) correct.

Hi Sid,

Thanks for posting your question here. :-)

Well, this sentence compares the automakers' two states in that they were conservative in the past and now they will have to be more conservative. Hence, the pronoun "they" in the original sentence refers to "automakers".

Now lets do the PoE:

Choice A - It is incorrect because in the clause " they were setting", the word "setting" is missing because this word is not mentioned anywhere.

Choice B - The same missing word "setting" makes this choice incorrect as well as we need the verb "have been setting".

Choice C - This is the correct answer as it conveys the comparison c;early.

Choice D - Your reasoning is correct.

Choice E - Your reasoning is correct.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9281 [3], given: 340

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 60 [2], given: 155

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2014, 06:57
This post received
KUDOS
There is no pronoun issue with B; but there is a ellipsis issue in this option. Remember, in order to a ellipsis to occur, we need 2 alternative meanings in the same sentence.
In B, the comparison is between the level of conservationism in the past (it is not specified that this conservationism is regarding the setting of dividends) and the level of conservationism that the analysts expect now (with regard to the setting of dividends). But without specifing that the conservationism in the past was related to the setting of dividends, the comparison is ambiguous. And this is the reason why I think B is wrong.

Encourage cooperation! If this post was very useful, kudos are welcome ;)
"It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult task which, more than anything else, will affect It's successful outcome" William James

Kudos [?]: 60 [2], given: 155

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 39

Schools: Broad '18 (WA)
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.11

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2015, 23:12
egmat wrote:
SidKaria wrote:

A) incorrect.

b) incorrect.

C) correct.

Hi Sid,

Well, this sentence compares the automakers' two states in that they were conservative in the past and now they will have to be more conservative. Hence, the pronoun "they" in the original sentence refers to "automakers".

Now lets do the PoE:

Choice A - It is incorrect because in the clause " they were setting", the word "setting" is missing because this word is not mentioned anywhere.

Choice B - The same missing word "setting" makes this choice incorrect as well as we need the verb "have been setting".

Thanks.
SJ

why is verb "were" wrong in choice D..?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 39

Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 894 [0], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2015, 13:30
sudi03 wrote:
Despite recent increases in sales and cash flow that have propelled automobile companies' common stocks to new highs, several industry analysts expect automakers, in order to conserve cash, to set dividends more conservatively that they were.

(A) to set dividends more conservatively than they were
(B) to set dividends more conservatively than they have been
(C) to be more conservative than they have been in setting dividends
(D) that they will be more conservative than they were in setting dividends
(E) that they will be more conservative than they have been to set dividends

I got struck between options B and C.
I chose B since I thought it is concise but it had pronoun ambiguity("they).
OA is C only.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 894 [0], given: 75

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 14:33
Expect X to be Y is the correct idiom.

Do not straight away rule out the options having "that". First read them. Options D and E have clear errors.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 06:16
sudi03 wrote:
Despite recent increases in sales and cash flow that have propelled automobile companies' common stocks to new highs, several industry analysts expect automakers, in order to conserve cash, to set dividends more conservatively that they were.

(A) to set dividends more conservatively than they were
(B) to set dividends more conservatively than they have been
(C) to be more conservative than they have been in setting dividends
(D) that they will be more conservative than they were in setting dividends
(E) that they will be more conservative than they have been to set dividends

IMO opinion, correct answer is C. setting the dividends is an ongoing activity and experts predict that it will continue in future. "Have been" correctly signifies it.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 125

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2016, 10:59
riyazgilani wrote:
egmat wrote:
SidKaria wrote:

A) incorrect.

b) incorrect.

C) correct.

Hi Sid,

Now lets do the PoE:

Thanks.
SJ

why is verb "were" wrong in choice D..?

Because the action is still happening and not over !! I hope this helps !!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 125

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 274

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2016, 09:59
ongste wrote:
Despite recent increases in sales and cash flow that have propelled automobile companies’ common stocks to new highs, several industry analysts expect automakers, in order to conserve cash, to set dividends more conservatively than they were.

a) to set dividends more conservatively than they were
b) to set dividends more conservatively than they have been
c) to be more conservative than they have been in setting dividends
d) that they will be more conservative than they were in setting dividends
e) that they will be more conservative than they have been to set dividends

I was confused by this one!
Will post OA later :)

Several industry analysts expect automakers to set dividends more conservatively than they were.

'were' here sounds little awkward because 'setting' has been omitted. In comparison questions, a word can be omitted only when it is mentioned somewhere in the sentence. The word 'setting' is nowhere mentioned and thus can't be assumed that it would follow were or have been in choices A and B respectively.

The correct idiomatic usage is 'expect.....to' and NOT 'expect........that'.
On this basis only choices D and E can be omitted.

Therefore choice C is correct and makes complete sense.

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 274

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 136

GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 20:42
I read all the explanation, but I still could not understand why choice B is incorrect? Ellipses are not preferred when we have another correct choice that seems to be wordy?

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 136

Re: Despite recent increases in sales and cash flow that have   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2017, 20:42

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 48 posts ] 

Despite recent increases in sales and cash flow that have

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap