It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 00:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite the common belief that different races of mankind

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 1091 [1], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Despite the common belief that different races of mankind [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2014, 12:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (00:59) correct 34% (01:00) wrong based on 428 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Despite the common belief that different races of mankind originate in different parts of the globe, the results of recent research suggest that all human races be descendant from a single origin in Africa.

A) originate in different parts of the globe, the results of recent research suggest that all human races be
B) are originating in different parts of the globe, the results of recent research suggest that all human races be
C) originate in different parts of the globe, the results of recent research suggest that all human races are
D) originate in different parts of the globe, the results of recent research are suggesting that all human races are
E) originate in different parts of the globe, recent research suggests that all human races be
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Last edited by kinjiGC on 09 Nov 2014, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 1091 [1], given: 548

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9539 [0], given: 1203

Re: Despite the common belief that different races of mankind [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2014, 14:25

Kudos [?]: 9539 [0], given: 1203

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 285

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2014, 02:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Why A is wrong ?

with suggest, first form of verb would come. Correct me if i am wrong ?

Kudos please!

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 285

MBA Blogger
B

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 59

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2014, 03:52
kinjiGC wrote:
Despite the common belief that different races of mankind originate in different parts of the globe, the results of recent research suggest that all human races be descendant from a single origin in Africa.

A) originate in different parts of the globe, the results of recent research suggest that all human races be
B) are originating in different parts of the globe, the results of recent research suggest that all human races be
C) originate in different parts of the globe, the results of recent research suggest that all human races are
D) originate in different parts of the globe, the results of recent research are suggesting that all human races are
E) originate in different parts of the globe, recent research suggests that all human races be

KUDOS please!! If it helped. :)
Warm Regards.
Visit My Blog

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 59

4 KUDOS received
Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 1091 [4], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2014, 04:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The OE of this question:
------------------------------------------------------
Although suggest is one of the nine verbs to which the Subjunctive rule applies (if it is followed by that), the rule applies only to that meaning of suggest that represents an attempt to influence or provoke someone else's actions. In this sentence, however, suggest has a different meaning, one similar to imply. It describes what the research has shown. Therefore, the Subjunctive rule does not apply here.

This means that the next verb after suggest that should not be in base form but rather a conjugated verb that agrees with the subject all human races, as expected from the first verb of a sentence. However, be is in base form. This answer choice corrects this mistake by changing be to are.
-----------------------------------------------------

So what I can understand is if the sentence is
The judge suggest that -> Subjunctive mood.
The results of the study suggest that -> This means imply so there is no subjunctive mood.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1091 [4], given: 548

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2016, 10:32
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8357 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2016, 03:21
‘Suggest’ per se is not part of the command subjunctive verb brigade. Unless the suggestion is from a peremptory source, the suggestion is no than a recommendatory or indicative and should not bear an imperative form of the verb such as ‘be’. So we can dispense with A, B and E. Between C and D, C, by using the simple present ‘suggest, rather than the present progressive ‘are suggesting’, is one - up over D

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8357 [0], given: 366

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1150 [0], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2016, 07:53
kinjiGC wrote:

Among the given options only (C) uses the correct plural relationship....

results....suggests.....that all human races are descendant from a single origin in Africa.

Hence I am convinced with (C) as the answer !!

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1150 [0], given: 327

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 79

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 05:11
kinjiGC wrote:
The OE of this question:

The results of the study suggest that -> This means imply so there is no subjunctive mood.

Hi kinjiGC / chetan2u,

Can you please shed some more light into it.
I opted for A, as I thought we need the base form- "be"

I have learnt that if any expression represent DROP (Demand Request Order Proposal) we need to use "THAT" with it + Base form of verb.

General expression

ORDER+THAT+BASE FORM OF VERB.

Please assist.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Last edited by PrakharGMAT on 09 Feb 2016, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 79

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 11:26
It's a weird sentence anyhow: that all human races are descendant from a single origin is distinctly unidiomatic and would be far better expressed as that all human races descend from a single origin.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 11:37
This post received
KUDOS
In regard to the following query:

When the verb TO SUGGEST means more or less TO RECOMMEND, the speaker is saying what ought to happen or exist. Therefore, the subsequent verb goes into the subjunctive mood. Thus: The committee suggested that the measures be adopted without delay. In other words, the committee is saying that it wants something to happen.
When the verb TO SUGGEST means more or less TO GIVE AN OPINION, the speaker is simply expressing an idea. Therefore, the subsequent verb goes into the indicative mood. Thus: The committee suggested that the measures were probably inadequate. In other words, the committee is not very happy about the measures and is expressing this opinion.

If you like this post, please give it KUDOS.

You can also visit us at http://www.xgmat.com/

Kudos [?]: 20 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 43

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 09:20
First lets understand the sentence meaning...

Meaning analysis
The sentence states a contrast: Despite a common believe about the origin of races of mankind, the results of a research suggest something different.
The key word here is "suggest", which is commonly used in an imperative mood. As an imperative verb, the sentence should use the plural/infinitive form of verb "be". However, "suggest" is not used to introduce a proposal, plan or action (imperative mood). First of all,the subject should be a person who suggest that... (this could be consider an imperative mood), but the results of something cannot be the doers of the suggestion. Here the meaning of "suggest" points out an implication: The results of recent research (results= evidence) implies that all human races are descendant from a single origin in Africa.

Answer choice analysis
A) originate in different parts of the globe, the results of recent research suggest that all human races be. Incorrect
suggest is not used in an imperative mood.

B) are originating in different parts of the globe, the results of recent research suggest that all human races be. Incorrect.
Present continues cannot be used to describe a general fact or believe. Present tense is correct.[/color]
C) originate in different parts of the globe, the results of recent research suggest that all human races are. Correct!
D) originate in different parts of the globe, the results of recent research are suggesting that all human races are. Incorrect. Present continues is incorrectly used to describe a contrasting fact about the origin of human races- change meaning
E) originate in different parts of the globe, recent research suggests that all human races be. Incorrect
Use of subjunctive ver incorrect. Change in meaning. Is was the results of the recent research that suggest something and not the recent research itself.

Hope the analysis help!

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 43

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 64

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 23:17

B) are originating in different parts of the globe, the results of recent research suggest that all humanraces be
E) originate in different parts of the globe, recent research suggeststhat all human races be

MBA Social Network : WebMaggu

Appreciate by Clicking +1 Kudos ( Lets be more generous friends.)

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 64

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 149

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 10:00
This post received
KUDOS
daagh wrote:
‘Suggest’ per se is not part of the command subjunctive verb brigade. Unless the suggestion is from a peremptory source, the suggestion is no than a recommendatory or indicative and should not bear an imperative form of the verb such as ‘be’. So we can dispense with A, B and E. Between C and D, C, by using the simple present ‘suggest, rather than the present progressive ‘are suggesting’, is one - up over D

Hi Sir,
I did not understand it properly can you please elaborate a bit.?

Life is a challenge face it.

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 149

Re: Despite the common belief that different races of mankind   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2017, 10:00

Despite the common belief that different races of mankind

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap