It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 17:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2017
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 03:58
Why is the answer A and not E ? ( In particular asking since the ending should be "would" and not "will" given the expectation of an event in the future.. This will automatically eliminate option A ?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: Aiming MBA
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 2497

Kudos [?]: 785 [0], given: 64

Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 10:31
VidyaIyengar wrote:
Why is the answer A and not E ? ( In particular asking since the ending should be "would" and not "will" given the expectation of an event in the future.. This will automatically eliminate option A ?


Hi VidyaIyengar ,

Welcome to GMATClub .:)

There is a solid reason for rejecting option E.

The number MUST always be singular. But E says "the number are". Hence, INCORRECT.

(E) fact that the number of people who purchase plane tickets online are growing, airline executives are convinced that, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers compared with automatic teller machines, many travelers would

P.S: Will vs would comparison should not be a reason for rejecting any option.(Provided you have a better option with would.)
_________________

V21 ---> V40!

Kudos [?]: 785 [0], given: 64

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Jan 2017
Posts: 281

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 622

Re: Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 09:58
Okay, I did pick C in a hurry. Huge error. A is the answer. Please note the reasoning below. Also, if anyone could comment on the same it will help:

Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced that, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to automatic teller machine, many travelers will still use travel agents.

(A) growing number of people who purchase plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced that, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to automatic teller machines, many travelers will - 'will' indicates more surety of the statement made, correct

(B) growing number of people who purchase plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced MISSES THAT, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to automatic teller machines, that many travelers would - indicates lesser indication to 'convinced'

(C) growing number of people purchasing plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced MISSES THAT, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers as compared to automatic teller machines, many travelers will. (Only will is correct, prompting a careless error :( )
My question here is though - is 'purchasing' (PRESENT CONTINUOUS) correct here or 'who purchase' (SIMPLE PRESENT)

(D) fact that the number of people purchasing plane tickets online is growing, airline execituves are convinced, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers as compared to automatic teller machines, that many travelers would
redundancy in 'the fact'
(E) fact that the number of people who purchase plane tickets online are growing, airline executives are convinced that, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers compared with automatic teller machines, many travelers would
repairs it by introducing THAT but retains redundancy

Would be glad to hear opinions on the query on tenses!

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 622

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Jan 2017
Posts: 281

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 622

Re: Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 10:10
sayantanc2k wrote:
sowragu wrote:

Do the usage of "TO" correct in a comparison in Option A and Option B "just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human
tellers to automatic teller machines
"


Yes the usage of to is correct. The idiomatic structure is prefer X to Y, not prefer X than Y.

Correct: I prefer tea to coffee.
Wrong: I prefer tea than coffee.

In this sentence: Customers prefer human tellers to automatic teller machines...... correct


Another query : 1) what is more correct, in context of this question: "people who purchase" or "people purchasing"?. Latter indicates its a current phenomenon, correctly seen as present continuous, so why are options which contain them are wrong? 2) Also, how does that placement of 'THAT' after convinced a more serious error than tenses? (option C in particular)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 622

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3148

Kudos [?]: 3281 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 07:08
Madhavi1990 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
sowragu wrote:

Do the usage of "TO" correct in a comparison in Option A and Option B "just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human
tellers to automatic teller machines
"


Yes the usage of to is correct. The idiomatic structure is prefer X to Y, not prefer X than Y.

Correct: I prefer tea to coffee.
Wrong: I prefer tea than coffee.

In this sentence: Customers prefer human tellers to automatic teller machines...... correct


Another query : 1) what is more correct, in context of this question: "people who purchase" or "people purchasing"?. Latter indicates its a current phenomenon, correctly seen as present continuous, so why are options which contain them are wrong? 2) Also, how does that placement of 'THAT' after convinced a more serious error than tenses? (option C in particular)


1)
First, "purchasing" is a present participle modifier, not a verb ( in present continuous tense) as you mentioned.
Second, using a present participle modifier is alright in this case. Option C and D are wrong not because of the use of present participle.

2)
Not clear about this query: Placing "that" after "convinced" is not an error, but the correct usage. In GMAT it is generally preferred to use "that" to introduce an object substantive clause (i.e., a clause used as an object noun).

Kudos [?]: 3281 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Jul 2017
Posts: 153

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 162

Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Re: Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 12:45
Hello Experts,

In option B, if I remove the fluff and read the sentence, it still makes sense. Option B is wrong because of the usage of would instead of will?

I don't think 'that' is misplaced in option B. Please correct me if I am wrong

P.S : - i went through all the comments and didn't find the answer for my above question

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 162

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Jul 2017
Posts: 153

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 162

Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Re: Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 12:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hello Experts,

In option B, if I remove the fluff and read the sentence, it still makes sense. Option B is wrong because of the usage of would instead of will?

I don't think 'that' is misplaced in option B. Please correct me if I am wrong

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 162

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Apr 2017
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 47

CAT Tests
Re: Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 21:20
Hello e-gmat, can you please help out with this question?

Also specifically, why is would wrong?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 47

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jun 2017
Posts: 32

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 71

Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 18:27
1
This post received
KUDOS
Few Point First - The use of "Despite" and "Despite the fact that" is both ok here.

- "despite" takes Gerund, Noun or Noun phrase. BUT never a clause
- "despite the fact that" takes clause.


(A) growing number of people who purchase plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced that, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to automatic teller machines, many travelers will

-Correct

(B) growing number of people who purchase plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to automatic teller machines, that many travelers would

- Looks good BUT .....many travelers "would" . The tense is wrong.

(C) growing number of people purchasing plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers as compared to automatic teller machines, many travelers will

- the first error in convince+that, the second is prefer X to Y. Prefer takes infinitive.
Furthermore, the word "prefer..to.." already has the meaning of compare so there's no need to add compare after "prefer"



(D) fact that the number of people purchasing plane tickets online is growing, airline execituves are convinced, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers as compared to automatic teller machines, that many travelers would

- Same tense "would" in B and Same "prefer X to Y" Prefer takes infinitive.

(E) fact that the number of people who purchase plane tickets online are growing, airline executives are convinced that, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers compared with automatic teller machines, many travelers would

- "prefer X to Y" and tense error on "would"
- The number of <--- is a singular


Just my opinion, so please correct me if I were wrong.

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 71

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Apr 2017
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 47

CAT Tests
Re: Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 21:02
NNURP wrote:
Few Point First - The use of "Despite" and "Despite the fact that" is both ok here.

- "despite" takes Gerund, Noun or Noun phrase. BUT never a clause
- "despite the fact that" takes clause.


(A) growing number of people who purchase plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced that, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to automatic teller machines, many travelers will

-Correct

(B) growing number of people who purchase plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to automatic teller machines, that many travelers would

- Looks good BUT .....many travelers "would" . The tense is wrong.

(C) growing number of people purchasing plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers as compared to automatic teller machines, many travelers will

- the first error in convince+that, the second is prefer X to Y. Prefer takes infinitive.
Furthermore, the word "prefer..to.." already has the meaning of compare so there's no need to add compare after "prefer"



(D) fact that the number of people purchasing plane tickets online is growing, airline execituves are convinced, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers as compared to automatic teller machines, that many travelers would

- Same tense "would" in B and Same "prefer X to Y" Prefer takes infinitive.

(E) fact that the number of people who purchase plane tickets online are growing, airline executives are convinced that, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers compared with automatic teller machines, many travelers would

- "prefer X to Y" and tense error on "would"
- The number of <--- is a singular


Just my opinion, so please correct me if I were wrong.

Thanks a lot for the explanation.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 47

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3148

Kudos [?]: 3281 [1], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 03:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello Experts,

In option B, if I remove the fluff and read the sentence, it still makes sense. Option B is wrong because of the usage of would instead of will?

I don't think 'that' is misplaced in option B. Please correct me if I am wrong


"That" is definitely misplaced. "That" should come immediately after "convinced" to denote what the executives are convinced of. "That" introduces a subordinate clause - the entire subordinate clause starting with "that" denotes what the executives are convinced of. Hence omitting "that" before "just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to automatic teller machines" does not make sense.

Kudos [?]: 3281 [1], given: 22

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2311

Kudos [?]: 9026 [1], given: 335

Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 04:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello Experts,

In option B, if I remove the fluff and read the sentence, it still makes sense. Option B is wrong because of the usage of would instead of will?

I don't think 'that' is misplaced in option B. Please correct me if I am wrong




Hello pikolo2510,

Thank you for your query. :-)

Use of that in Choice B is certainly incorrect. Let me explain this to you with the help of simple example.

Just as the sting of snakes are poisonous, the sting of some scorpions are venomous too.

The above-mentioned sentence is correct as is. The clause starting with as is a dependent clause while the following clause is an independent clause. Together they form a complete sentence.

Adding that before the independent clause will make it a dependent clause. In absence of any independent clause, there will not be a sentence.

Now let's look at Choice B:

... just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to automatic teller machines, that many travelers would...

In this structure too, we just need an independent clause after teller machines to present comparison in the correct grammatical structure. Use of that actually leads to structural error in Choice B.


Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9026 [1], given: 335

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2311

Kudos [?]: 9026 [0], given: 335

Re: Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 04:32
TSofat wrote:
Hello e-gmat, can you please help out with this question?

Also specifically, why is would wrong?



Hello TSofat,

Thank you for the query. :-)

We use would for

i. uncertain events or
ii. a future event spoken in the past time-frame.

The official sentence in question does not present any of the situations. The sentence clearly mentions that the airline executives are convinced or sure that many travelers will still use travel agents. So there is no question of any uncertainty.

Also, the entire sentence is written in simple present tense. There is no mention of any past event. In fact, in the present, the airline executives are convinced about what it going to continue happening in the future. Hence, use of would is incorrect to present an event that is going to continue in the future.


Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9026 [0], given: 335

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 130

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 313

Re: Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 20:10
pmal04 wrote:
Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced that, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to automatic teller machine, many travelers will still use travel agents.

(A) growing number of people who purchase plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced that, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to automatic teller machines, many travelers will

(B) growing number of people who purchase plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers to automatic teller machines, that many travelers would

(C) growing number of people purchasing plane tickets online, airline executives are convinced, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers as compared to automatic teller machines, many travelers will

(D) fact that the number of people purchasing plane tickets online is growing, airline execituves are convinced, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers as compared to automatic teller machines, that many travelers would

(E) fact that the number of people who purchase plane tickets online are growing, airline executives are convinced that, just as one-third of bank customers still prefer human tellers compared with automatic teller machines, many travelers would


look at choice c
if "that " is omitted, we do not know "just as..." modify which clause, preceding or following clause. so ommission of "that" is not alway wrong. consisder
I know you get into harvard with good gmat score and deep experience.
is correct. we do not need "that" here because the grammatical relation between clause is clear.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 313

Re: Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2017, 20:10

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 74 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.