GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 19:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting at

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
V
Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting at  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2019, 21:36
altairahmad wrote:
generis GMATNinja daagh

I want to share my doubt on the redundancy point of option (A) and how there appears to be a big difference in meaning between (A) and (B).

Quote:
(A) Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting attendance figures at local races fell so low that the owner was forced to close the speedway.

(B) Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting attendance figures at local races forced the owner to close the speedway.

Isn't there a subtle yet important difference in meaning between the two ?

(A) ->The track was closed because the plummeting figures crossed a certain threshold and not just because of falling attendance figures alone.

(B) -> The track was closed because the figures started plummeting.

I understand that 'plummeting' means a big dip, still option (A) adds a trigger point (for closing the racing circuit) in addition to plummeting figures.

Based on this reasoning, I chose (A). (It makes more sense to convey a meaning that someone would close something down once their threshold has been met)

Any comments will be most appreciated.

altairahmad , I agree that there may be a subtle difference. (I think you mean (C), btw.)

I think that C is the better answer.

When we say that "despite increased interest in automobile racing, plummeting attendance figures forced the owner to close the roadway" we know that . . . the figures got so low that the owner had to close the place.

I used the examples in my OE for that reason.
"Skyrocketing interest rates are hurting the housing market" already indicates that the threshold for harm has been reached. That signal is included in the verbal "skyrocketing."

"Plummeting attendance figures forced the owner to close the roadway" similarly indicates that the threshold (of "so low that") was reached. The signal is contained in the verbal "plummeting," (an adjective, but derived from a verb).

You make a fair point.
In addition to what I just wrote, I always urge people to wonder: what, exactly, are these people testing me on?

In this instance, I think the answer is fairly clear: the writer is testing redundancy.
Does (C) do the job? Yes.
Do we NEED to say more as is the case in (A)? Not if we understand meaning as expressed by the whole sentence in (C).
Is (C) redundant? No.
Is (C) shorter? Yes.

Do I think that this case I just made is slam-dunk? Not sure.

When some (often dramatic) verbs are coupled with a result, it is understood that the effect of the dramatic verb WAS to cross the threshold and create the final result.
-- The mushrooming population of loggers in areas of the Amazon forest destroys vital sources of the earth's oxygen. (We don't know what the threshold is, but we know that it has been reached.)

For strategic reasons related to what is being tested as well as for overall meaning, I would still choose (C).

I used to know an official question that reminds me of this one. I can't remember it. If I do remember, I will update this post.

You make a very reasonable argument.
In the end, to run a project like SC Butler requires that I use non-official questions.
Good non-official questions are very hard to find.
This source is reliable, but it is not GMAC.

Takeaway? The question is not official.
Be aware of the issue that it raised (an issue that will crop up in a less equivocal way), but do not worry too much. :)

Hope that helps.

Instructions for living a life. Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it. -- Mary Oliver
GMAT Club Bot
Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting at   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2019, 21:36

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 21 posts ] 

Despite the increased interest in automobile racing, the plummeting at

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics