Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618929 [6]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618929 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1612 [1]
Given Kudos: 1679
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [1]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Re: Despite the relentless pursuit of fitness portrayed by the media, the [#permalink]
Kudos
Conclusion: The population of the nation is, on average, plumper than was the population 30 years ago. By 2008, the average adult is 11 pounds heavier than was the average adult in 1978.

Pre-thinking: Current youth is plumper than 30 years ago and current youth is heavier too. It means, there is no another reason for current youth to be heavier.

Which of the following is an assumption underlying the argument above regarding today's average adult?

(A) Today's average adult is not substantially overweight. -> We are comparing 30 years back data. Incorrect.
(B) Today's average adult is trying to lose weight. -> Irrelevant.
(C) Today's average adult eats healthier food than did the average adult of the past. -> Irrelevant.
(D) Today's average adult is not older than was the average adult of the past. -> Age is not linked with weight.
(E) Today's average adult is not significantly taller than was the average adult of the past. -> So, It is negating another option of taller adults. Let's keep it.

So, I think E. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
Schools: LBS MAM "23
GPA: 3.01
WE:Design (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Despite the relentless pursuit of fitness portrayed by the media, the [#permalink]
Kudos
imo E
Despite the relentless pursuit of fitness portrayed by the media, the population of the nation is, on average, plumper than was the population 30 years ago. By 2008, the average adult is 11 pounds heavier than was the average adult in 1978.

Which of the following is an assumption underlying the argument above regarding today's average adult?

Conclusion: The population of the nation is, on average, plumper than was the population 30 years ago.
Given
By 2008, the average adult is 11 pounds heavier than was the average adult in 1978.

We can assume that
the increase in 11 pounds is not due to any another reason such as muscle building or something else

Only option E .. echos in the same line

(A) Today's average adult is not substantially overweight.
(B) Today's average adult is trying to lose weight.
(C) Today's average adult eats healthier food than did the average adult of the past.
(D) Today's average adult is not older than was the average adult of the past.
(E) Today's average adult is not significantly taller than was the average adult of the past.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 188
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
Send PM
Kudos
(A) Today's average adult is not substantially overweight
- our premise says the opposite. Incorrect

(B) Today's average adult is trying to lose weight.
- No mention of such text. Incorrect

(C) Today's average adult eats healthier food than did the average adult of the past.
- No mention of such information. Incorrect

(D) Today's average adult is not older than was the average adult of the past.
- same as (B) and (C), Incorrect

(E) Today's average adult is not significantly taller than was the average adult of the past.
- Correctly negates the information. Correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Schools: ISB '25 (D)
GMAT 1: 600 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V32
Send PM
In my opinion, though it doesn't matter, without knowing what is plumpiness, this question can't be answered.
Negating Choice B can also destroy the conclusion, right? If today's average adult is not trying to lose weight, then he'll be heavier than the ones before (in '78), right?
Choice E can only be correct if one knows what plumpiness is.

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [0]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
I sort of agree with what shades28 has said. Can any expert help us out ? AndrewN, carouselambra, GMATNinja.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
kntombat wrote:
I sort of agree with what shades28 has said. Can any expert help us out ? AndrewN, carouselambra, GMATNinja.

Hello, kntombat. To be honest, I think any of a number of assumptions could be true in this one, but, of course, you have to go by what you see on the screen. The part about (B) that can be enticing is that trying to lose weight can be associated with the relentless pursuit of fitness from the first line of the passage. But I had reservations, perhaps because the goal of fitness may not necessarily be weight loss. Bodybuilders, for instance, seek to gain weight by putting on muscle mass. While such weight gain would figure into a larger—heavier—average adult today than the average adult of thirty years ago, when weightlifting was not as widespread, I cannot say that bodybuilders would be considered plump, what I think of as a little doughy from the waist on up.

Choice (E) uses probably the most commonly employed over-qualifying word that appears in correct answers to Verbal GMAT™ questions: significantly. A significantly taller person would logically be one with a potential to pack on more weight. But plumpness? That can enter the picture regardless of height, and we do not know what significantly may mean—a foot? six inches? four?

In short, I chose (E) as a safer answer, but I was not thinking about a weight-to-height ratio, nor do I think the GMAT™ would require such specialized knowledge of a test-taker (and I am next to positive that the judgmental word plump or its variants would not appear on the exam). I would suggest treating this question as a curio, nothing more.

Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
A good thing to be on the lookout for (especially in Find the Assumption or Weaken the Argument question types) are any subtle shifts in language from the Facts to the Conclusion.

The author states in the conclusion that the average person is “plumper.”

However, the evidence used is absolute numbers regarding the difference in “pounds.”

Focusing on the Gap between what constitutes “plumpness” and the facts about differences in the number of pounds will allow you to see what the author must be assuming.

The author needs to assume that the fact about the change in number of pounds is relevant to the concept of “plumpness”. (I love saying that word)

Answer E, if true, would hurt the logic of the argument and the claim that the population, on average, is plumper. After all, a person who is 6 foot 2 , 220 lbs is a lot less “plump” than a person who is 5 foot 5, 210 lbs.

Edit: and I’m in complete agreement with AndrewN above me.

The concept of what constitutes “plump” is not something I can ever see showing up on an official question.

Plump.....plump.
Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts