GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 13:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

Despite the tremendous technological advances

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Despite the tremendous technological advances  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2018, 03:04
3) Which of the following is stated in the passage as Napoleon's goal in warfare?

A) obtaining wealth and power
B) surprising the enemy
C) destroying most of the enemy's troops
D) dominating all of continental Europe
E) maintaining the initiative

I chose ans E as that is explicitly mentioned in para 1. Please advise why this is incorrect?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2018, 22:55
akshita957 wrote:
3) Which of the following is stated in the passage as Napoleon's goal in warfare?

A) obtaining wealth and power
B) surprising the enemy
C) destroying most of the enemy's troops
D) dominating all of continental Europe
E) maintaining the initiative

I chose ans E as that is explicitly mentioned in para 1. Please advise why this is incorrect?

(E) was the principle behind his tactics, not his goal.

Paragraph 1 mentions "His main objective was the complete destruction of the enemy’s main body. " and that is why (C) is the answer.

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.67

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2018, 03:00
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
Not able to figure out between A and B in 4. workout please guide :)

Hi ShankSouljaBoi,

B) show that Napoleon always operated on the basis of well-defined plans.

The passage says: "He achieved this feat in different ways according to the situation at hand." This means Napoleon had a plan before a battle but he adjusted the approach based on the situation. --> WRONG

A) show that, despite the variety of methods he used, Napoleon had a system underlying his decisions

The passage says: "... but the general principles behind his tactics were the same: keep the enemy at a disadvantage and maintain the initiative.". This means that although Napoleon acted based on the situation, he had principles - a system underlying the decisions.

Hope that you find it helpful!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.67

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2018, 03:09
Susobhan wrote:
In question no 1 can anyone explain why not option c???

Hi Susobhan,

I chose C but when I read the OA, I understood. So let me help you.

1) Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the author's statement that Napoleon's tactics were based on INNOVATION and the element of SURPRISE?

Firstly, as for CR weaken question, please notice that what we need to weaken is the INNOVATION and SURPRISE of Napoleon's strategies.

C) Further studies of Napoleon's battle plans show that he always planned every attack carefully and never strayed from those plans during battle.
Even if Napoleon prepared a plan, that plan can be innovative with many surprising factors. --> CANNOT WEAKEN.
This option is a tricky one because it weakens another statement mentioned in the passage "He achieved this feat in different ways according to the situation at hand."

E) Battle plans of a British general were found showing a planned attack on Napoleon's troops using a strategy previously thought to be one of Napoleon's design.
It seems that Napoleon did not prepare the plans/strategies but learned from others. Then, his strategies were not innovative. --> WEAKEN
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 20:54
In option E, mentioning about other armies is an aberration. As soon as I read the question, I thought if Napoleon's plans didn't have innovation or element of surprise, the characteristic of plans must be weakened. I think option is E is kind of far-fetched. What if British armies used these? How does it counter Napoleon's plans to lack innovation or element of surprise?

Kudos to Kudos :)

And yeah, definitely aim for a level of accuracy where managing time will not be a burden anymore.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2018, 16:59
workout wrote:
sandman13 wrote:
workout

I need your help with Q1

Quote:
1) Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the author's statement that Napoleon's tactics were based on innovation and the element of surprise?

A) Napoleon's enemies often used his attack patterns when fighting against him after their allies had been defeated by Napoleon using those same tactics.
B) Napoleon was eventually defeated by the unexpected attack of several armies of countries he had previously occupied.
C) Further studies of Napoleon's battle plans show that he always planned every attack carefully and never strayed from those plans during battle.
D) Memoirs of Napoleon's enemies often reported that Napoleon's troops were unpredictable in battle and performed new and unexpected feats.
E) Battle plans of a British general were found showing a planned attack on Napoleon's troops using a strategy previously thought to be one of Napoleon's design.

I chose choice A. My reasoning was as follows: if opponents were able to identify patterns, which were repetitive, we can say that the plans were not innovative?
Why exactly is A wrong?

Thanks in advance.

sandman13

Here's what I think between options A and E. The question asks about "most weaken"

Option A states Napoleon's enemies used Napoleon's attack patterns after their allies had been defeated by Napoleon using those same tactics. So Napoleon introduced these tactics. At least at that time, they were innovative. Just because the enemies found some patterns, saying the tactics were not innovative is arguable.

Option E, on the other hand, shows a possibility that Napoleon copied the tactics from the battle plans of a British general. If Napoleon had copied the tactics, we can surely say there is zero innovation. Hence option E most weakens the author's statement.

Hi Workout,
The British may have used the Napolean's tactics after he had used them.
Option C clearly shows that there remained no element of surprise hence C weakens more than E.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 01:20
Question 1. I choose C - pls explain why is it wrong. I am still nt convenced with E. as its written - "thought to be" - its not certain they r his.
Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 21:43
Susobhan wrote:
In question no 1 can anyone explain why not option c???

workout : can you explain why C is incorrect in 1.
Manager
Manager
P
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
Despite the tremendous technological advances  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 06:44

Passage Map:

1) Study of Napolean's Tactics
2) Details about Tactical suprises
3) Another reason for success: How his army functioned?

Most Comprehensive Article on How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT (NEW)
Verb Tenses Simplified

If you found my post useful, KUDOS are much appreciated. Giving Kudos is a great way to thank and motivate contributors, without costing you anything.

GMAT Club Bot
Despite the tremendous technological advances &nbs [#permalink] 21 Nov 2018, 06:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

Despite the tremendous technological advances

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap